Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Poll: How do you refer to your team?

When Refering to your team, do you say.....

• We ("man we lost the game by 3 runs yesterday")

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
My brother and I and my brothers friends have had this arguement so many times. Want to see what others think.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
We, the original Red Sox fans were considered by the players as valuable as some members of the team.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
They. I don't play for them. If they ever miraculously sign me to a contract, then its "we".

When I hear people say "we", I usually ask which position they play.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
bungle77 said:
They. I don't play for them. If they ever miraculously sign me to a contract, then its "we".

That's real easy. I play Left Out. Of course they don't pay me for my exceptional skills at that position. There's no paper trail like a contract or anything either, but I look forward to playing everyday.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
muskiesfan said:
bungle77 said:

That's real easy. I play Left Out. Of course they don't pay me for my exceptional skills at that position. There's no paper trail like a contract or anything either, but I look forward to playing everyday.

I play right couch cushion and sometimes play utility man and play computer chair instead.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
bungle77 said:

heres my arguement to this statement. No fans, no teams. We pay for these players to get paid , which gives them a drive to perform

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
It's "they". As a previous poster commented, I don't play for them or work for them. I will refer to them as "My" team. For example, "My Pistons just hired a new coach. I really thought they should have given Laimbeer a shot at the job."

Alex

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
thegreathambino said:
bungle77 said:

heres my arguement to this statement. No fans, no teams. We pay for these players to get paid , which gives them a drive to perform

But you can (theoretically) wake up any morning and choose some other team to say "we" about; it's completely arbitrary. Plus, I feel like I would be disrespecting the players, thinking I am their equal because my buying a jersey is the same as the decades of hard work they put into actually getting themselves on the field. My turning on NESN has absolutely nothing to do with the team winning, so there's no way I can feel comfortable saying "We won". I didn't do a damn thing to contribute to it.

Any team I've played for/coached, I've said we.

As an aside, I played rugby at UNH. The veteran players used to hate when non-rugby players wore the "UNH Rugby" hats and shirts that the local sporting goods store sold. When I stopped playing, I never wore the hat again, out of respect for what was a long-standing feeling by that team.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I feel that "we" is certainly acceptable. When you're at a game, just look around. There are a lot of people sporting that teams gear, making them somewhat financially vested. More importantly, listen. They cheer for one of the teams, not both. They've become emotionally connected with that team or franchise. They feel as though they are a part of it, and I think it's hard to deny that the are.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
rookieaddict said:
I feel that "we" is certainly acceptable. When you're at a game, just look around. There are a lot of people sporting that teams gear, making them somewhat financially vested. More importantly, listen. They cheer for one of the teams, not both. They've become emotionally connected with that team or franchise. They feel as though they are a part of it, and I think it's hard to deny that the are.

I'm wearing a Foo Fighters t-shirt right now. Can I say "we" put out a great album?
Also, I didn't buy it, it was a promo. But I do like their music.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
bungle77 said:
thegreathambino said:
bungle77 said:

But you can (theoretically) wake up any morning and choose some other team to say "we" about; it's completely arbitrary. Plus, I feel like I would be disrespecting the players, thinking I am their equal because my buying a jersey is the same as the decades of hard work they put into actually getting themselves on the field. My turning on NESN has absolutely nothing to do with the team winning, so there's no way I can feel comfortable saying "We won". I didn't do a damn thing to contribute to it.

As an aside, I played rugby at UNH. The veteran players used to hate when non-rugby players wore the "UNH Rugby" hats and shirts that the local sporting goods store sold. When I stopped playing, I never wore the hat again, out of respect for what was a long-standing feeling by that team.

again.. with about fans like yourself and I, these teams wouldn't exist probably.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If I'm talking to my buddy who's also a Cubs fan, I will say "We won yesterday!" Or "We're winning!", etc.

However, if they're losing, it's always "Those bastards lost yesterday." Or "These bastards aren't doing anything.", etc.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
thegreathambino said:
bungle77 said:
thegreathambino said:
bungle77 said:

again.. with about fans like yourself and I, these teams wouldn't exist probably.

This is clearly an "agree to disagree" situation.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
As a guy who wears an Indians hat everyday, I say it's ok to refer to your team as "we". Why? Because everyday when I show up at work my coworkers don't say "your team got pounded last night" they say "You guys really sucked last night".

When people refer to the team as "we", they aren't talking about the actual team (the 9 guys on the field). They are talking about the orginization; the players, the coaches, and the fans. "The Red Sox Nation" is not just the guys who play for the Red Sox.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
bungle77 said:
thegreathambino said:
bungle77 said:
thegreathambino said:
bungle77 said:

This is clearly an "agree to disagree" situation.

that sounds fair

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts