Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg for Halladay? (hypothetical)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bc2208

JP announced that he's taking bids for Roy Halladay. He is under contract through 2010 and owed $23M over that period. Obviously the Jays are going to ask for a mountain.

Say the Nats sign Strasburg soon enough to make a deal. Also assume they are playoff contenders. Obviously it would depend on the $ amount of the signing bonus, but what would be a fair deal? Would the Nats have to add any other players, or might the Jays need to give up more than 1.5 seasons of Halladay for 7 years of Strasburg?

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Bornagaincollector said:
I might get burned for this,but i would trade Sizemore and a Prospect for Halladay if i could get a extention from him....Him & Lee would SICK!
Probably wouldn't happen because Wells and his terrible contract is stuck in CF.

Riccardi never said he is out shopping Doc, but is willing to listen offers. Here is a quote from him from a radio interview this morning:

"We're not putting up a sign that says we're trading Roy Halladay. I think that's the furthest thing from what's going on right now."

"We're not out there shopping him, but like any of our players, if someone comes knocking, we wouldn't be doing our job if we don't listen."

"That's what it's like this time of year, during the trading period."

"We've always said that a) we don't want to trade Roy Halladay, and b) if we do decide to trade Roy Halladay, it's going to be very painful for the other organization."

So, it's gonna take the farm, literally, to get Doc.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Hallsgator said:
Bornagaincollector said:
I might get burned for this,but i would trade Sizemore and a Prospect for Halladay if i could get a extention from him....Him & Lee would SICK!
Probably wouldn't happen because Wells and his terrible contract is stuck in CF.

Riccardi never said he is out shopping Doc, but is willing to listen offers. Here is a quote from him from a radio interview this morning:

"We're not putting up a sign that says we're trading Roy Halladay. I think that's the furthest thing from what's going on right now."

"We're not out there shopping him, but like any of our players, if someone comes knocking, we wouldn't be doing our job if we don't listen."

"We've always said that a) we don't want to trade Roy Halladay, and b) if we do decide to trade Roy Halladay, it's going to be very painful for the other organization."

That is just GM speak. Being in the AL East hurts the Jays immensely when talking about trading Halladay. How soon we forget the return that MIN got for Johan (who was 3 years younger at the time he was traded than Halladay currently is). This came about because of the MIN's reluctance to trade Johan to a team that they would have to contend with every year. Not having the Yanks and Sox as serious potential suitors for Halladay extremely diminishes the return that the Jays might get for Roy. I think the Red Sox are the best match for the Jays in terms of excess talent that could immediately impact Toronto, but I do not see the two teams matching up since they are in the same division.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Bornagaincollector said:

It would have to be a pretty darn good prospect foro JP to trade Halladay in that deal.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
Hallsgator said:
Bornagaincollector said:

That is just GM speak. Being in the AL East hurts the Jays immensely when talking about trading Halladay. How soon we forget the return that MIN got for Johan (who was 3 years younger at the time he was traded than Halladay currently is). This came about because of the MIN's reluctance to trade Johan to a team that they would have to contend with every year. Not having the Yanks and Sox as serious potential suitors for Halladay extremely diminishes the return that the Jays might get for Roy. I think the Red Sox are the best match for the Jays in terms of excess talent that could immediately impact Toronto, but I do not see the two teams matching up since they are in the same division.

Except for the fact that the Red Sox already have a deep surplus of starting pitching. ::facepalm::

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think Doc will end up being traded..

With that said is this topic serious? Not only can't Strasburg be traded but Halladay to be traded for a pitcher who has a slight chance of ending up as good as Halladay?

Uh yeah..

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
scotty21690 said:
With that said is this topic serious? Not only can't Strasburg be traded but Halladay to be traded for a pitcher who has a slight chance of ending up as good as Halladay?

This is FCB

The possible "next" Roy Halladay > Roy Halladay

Fire360

Aug 13, 2008
US
Mighty Bombjack said:
scotty21690 said:

This is FCB

The possible "next" Roy Halladay > Roy Halladay

Hahah. Very nice!

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
JzWand said:
Bornagaincollector said:

It would have to be a pretty darn good prospect foro JP to trade Halladay in that deal.

I know the Indians wouldn't do it,but it fun to speculate.I would give up these 3 players if i could get extention done.

Grady Sizemore,Aaron Laffey,Chuck Lofgren

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
trevordchi said:
Jays_Cards said:
Hallsgator said:
Bornagaincollector said:

Except for the fact that the Red Sox already have a deep surplus of starting pitching. ::facepalm::

You obviously know NOTHING about the Red Sox if you believe that ::facepalm:: Why act like a ******?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Katie (San Diego) - Would you trade Halladay for Strasburg?

Jim Callis - I can't see Halladay approving a trade to the Nationals. But if he did, it still would give me pause. How much better than Hallday can Strasburg really be? A lot of it would depend on how much money Strasburg winds up signing for and how the contract is structured. If Boras really does get $50 million for him, I'd easily prefer Halladay.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Jaypers said:
Katie (San Diego) - Would you trade Halladay for Strasburg?

Jim Callis - I can't see Halladay approving a trade to the Nationals. But if he did, it still would give me pause. How much better than Hallday can Strasburg really be? A lot of it would depend on how much money Strasburg winds up signing for and how the contract is structured. If Boras really does get $50 million for him, I'd easily prefer Halladay.

Or that regardless of money, Halladay is a bonafied #1 starter on any team in the major leagues and Strasburg...well isnt.

TK

B

bc2208

bballcardkid said:
What even sparked this hypothetical debate? I'd take Halladay and it's not even close.

The idea wasn't to compare the two. I put the two chips in the deal and asked what would have to be added to make it work. If JP is fielding offers and it's a no brainer to turn down one involving Strasburg, then he's not really fielding offers.

Also I did forget about the 1 year no-trade rule. But again, hypothetical.

I would not trade Strasburg after signing him for $50 million. I would wait for Halladay to become a free agent after '10 and get him for less, and have both. However, I don't expect Strasburg to get $50M.

Members online

Latest posts