Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jays release BJ Ryan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Wow. From a baseball standpoint, great. He's clearly not a major league pitcher anymore. TJ surgery killed him.

From a financial standpoint, I'm shocked. He's still due about $15MM over the next 1.5 years so it's odd to see them simply eat the cost. I guess if someone picks him up, the Jays save about $750k total.

So the 5-year/$47MM deal got the Jays:

2006: A fantastic season. One of the best relievers on the planet
2007: Injured
2008: 32 saves and a decent ERA but clearly not the same guy as 2006.
2009: Disaster

I'd sum it up as 1.75 good seasons out of five. I didn't hate the deal at the time. The Jays needed to overpay to bring in elite free agents and Ricciardi's strength has always been the bullpen (seriously, despite his littany of faults, he is one of the best, if not the best, at consistently acquiring excellent relievers) but it's clear the whole thing ended up being a disaster. I don't fault the decision, though; it just didn't work out.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Since he was brought up by the O's, I just laughed at this... I think teams should get the hint not to get any O's free agent pitchers - look at Armando Benitez and Authur Rhodes. They were great for the O's, but did struggle in other teams.

So here I go - :lol: :lol:

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Benitez wasn't really that bad for the Mets. He got a bad rap. Similar to Patrick Ewing when he played in NY.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I remember being shocked that he got so much $$$$ at the time, then he went out and had a All-Star year to shut me (and alot of people) up. Then the surgery, and poof, it's gone.

Someone will give him a shot at middle relief though.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
The problem for BJ Ryan wasn't the surgery: it was his incredibly bad pitching mechanics that caused the surgery to be necessary. He hasn't improved his mechanics, so he will continue to injure himself until he retires.

Here is a great article about his pitching mechanics: http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Bas ... JRyan.html

On a related note, it will just be a matter of time before Chris Carpenter is on the DL with arm/shoulder problems again.

David

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
The problem for BJ Ryan wasn't the surgery: it was his incredibly bad pitching mechanics that caused the surgery to be necessary. He hasn't improved his mechanics, so he will continue to injure himself until he retires.

Here is a great article about his pitching mechanics: http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Bas ... JRyan.html

On a related note, it will just be a matter of time before Chris Carpenter is on the DL with arm/shoulder problems again.

David

:lol: Okay.

Members online

Latest posts