Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many AMAZING cards......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
......are just sitting out there in un-opened wax?

These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm bored @ work.

I'm sure some of the other player collectors feel me on this one.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
2006 Hellickson BC Superfractor
2006 Longoria BCDP Superfractor Auto
2007 Jennings BC Superfractor
2007 Barnese BCDP Superfractor
2008 Stanton BCDP Superfractor Auto

As far as I know, these have yet to surface.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
I've always wondered how many amazing cards were pulled by non-collectors/little kids who have no idea what they have.

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
blitzerlover said:
I've always wondered how many amazing cards were pulled by non-collectors/little kids who have no idea what they have.
I assume alot so if you are at a flea market or garage sale with kids selling cards make sure to check out what they have. I got some nice cards from some random guy at a flea market. He sold me 10 game used cards for 50 cents each, which included robinson cano futures jersey card and andy marte memorabilia.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
blitzerlover said:
This is another one that has always made me think.
Also, what about ppl who still have no computer/internetz/knowledge of eBay?

edit: my only other thought about this one is: How many non-collectors are going to open
$100-500 packs/boxes of high-end product? Maybe base Topps or BDPP, but prolly not Exquisite, et al.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
blitzerlover said:

I can see it now..... Non-collecting pre-teen- "Oh mom/dad, look at the shiney card I just got!"
Mom/Dad- "That's nice, now put them in your pocket and let's go to Walmart."
(This is where I cringe) Non-collecting pre-teen dicovers the cards wont fit in the pocket of his/her Granimal shorts as is so they are bent in half in order to make the trip to Wally World. ::facepalm::

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I remember going over to my cousins house who was older than me when I was like a freshman in HS and I knew a lot about cards and my cousin knew nothing and he just had the cards thrown in shoeboxes...............

Lets just say you 90's insert fans and topps tiffany fans would be drooling.

Sadly, I dont really know what he ever did with all those cards, and I have not even really talked to him much since he got done with college. I would LOVE to go through that stuff again.

Also, Jaypers hit it on the head, think of all the Superfractors and Red refractors etc. that are still sitting in boxes. Worse yet, think of products like Exquisite, SP Authentic, Topps Sterling, Ultimate Collection, etc that are still sealed, who knows what kind of nastiness is sitting in those.

TK

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
Yep I always take that thought into consideration ESPECIALLY when going after let's say for example a /25 card. Even though there are 25 of those cards out there, how many have actually surfaced, or will ever get the chance to surface? So instead of a /25, it might actually end up only being a /15 card or possibly lower... :shock:

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:

I don't believe Michael Saunders has come up for sale either. Same with Dominic Brown, Jhoulys Chacin, Yu Darvish. What about Kyle Blanks? Then ofcourse there is the mysterious lack of any Devaris Gordon Chrome parallels above Orange Refractor.

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:

I don't believe Michael Saunders has come up for sale either. Same with Dominic Brown, Jhoulys Chacin, Yu Darvish. What about Kyle Blanks? Then ofcourse there is the mysterious lack of any Devaris Gordon Chrome parallels above Orange Refractor.

Blanks has surfaced and went for $600ish if I remember correctly

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Snyper said:
Yep I always take that thought into consideration ESPECIALLY when going after let's say for example a /25 card. Even though there are 25 of those cards out there, how many have actually surfaced, or will ever get the chance to surface? So instead of a /25, it might actually end up only being a /15 card or possibly lower... :shock:

Yep. I just bought 2 red /25 last week and *maybe* overpayed a tad, but I've never seen one up before and it's from a set I'm sure no one is lining up to break cases of anymore. Who knows how many were actually opened and sold to PC guys. :|

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Hockey collectors ran into this with UD Victory, which was a .99/pack product with Black parallels numbered to 5. I remember many, many player collectors that never saw one of their guy, but I have to assume a bunch were pulled in packs purchased to shut up a crying 6 year old. I never saw a Patrice Bergeron in the 3 years I was collecting him.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Back in 1998 I was at an Orioles/Rangers game in Arlington and there was a family sitting next to me. The mother had Cal Ripken card she hoped to get autographed after the game. It just happened to be a 1998 Flair Showcase or whatever #/100. This was a $100+ card at the time, and she was just holding it in her hand, no sleeve or toploader or anything. I imagine her son sitting next to her had pulled it and known nothing about it other than it was Cal Ripken. I told her that card was pretty valuable but she just kind of slitted her eyes and gave me a weird look, and within a couple innings they moved. I imagine that card probably is sitting beat up in that now 20-year-old's dresser in his parent's house, though hopefully autographed.

I'm sure there are lots and lots of incredible cards sitting out there either unopened or unappreciated. From Legendary Cuts autos to super-rare parallels, anything's possible. While the collector community is smaller than it once was, it seems like a lot of people on boards like this think that there is no one else in the world that opens packs, and they often have some really cool stuff, though they are clueless about it.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
i bet you a large percentage of the very rare mid 80-mid 90s stuff is sitting at the bottom of closets, basements, etc. in storage as the kids are now out of college, working, and starting families and have long since forgotten about them........

TK

Members online