Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My theory on why Inge got the AL spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I believe that more NL people voted than AL fans. One reason I say this is if I remember correctly, wasn't Inge the top name listed on the AL list of five? When you voted for your player, it kept everything the same. I wonder how many Victorino fans just wanted to vote for him and left the AL players alone, in essence, giving Inge default votes because his name was already highlighted since he was the first on the list.

Just a thought...

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
The "Bran-Torino" promotion, I'm sure, helped a bit as well.

Regardless, the teams have been picked and there is no point griping about it.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I just posted this in the other thread:

Kinsler, Inge and Lind had pretty similar numbers offensively with Lind probably having the advantage.

But Inge is a HUGE fan favorite in Detroit and also has played gold glove defense at third base for the Tigers so far this year. I'm not sure how Lind and Kinsler are on defense, but I'd bet that Inge is better than both of them.

Not to mention, the Tigers and Phillies worked out a little deal to advertise during games that they called "Bran Torino"....meaning that if the Phillies vote for BRANdon Inge in the AL while voting for VicTORINO in the NL (since you have the opportunity during voting to vote for both AL and NL at the same time), the Tigers fans in return would vote for Victorino when they went to vote for Inge.

So basically these two guys were getting double votes for the last couple days of the voting which is probably why both of them came from behind to win.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
coltsfan23 said:

Wasn't griping because I'm a Dodger fan and could care less who got the AL vote.

Just making note of something...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tommyfro21 said:
coltsfan23 said:

Wasn't griping because I'm a Dodger fan and could care less who got the AL vote.

Just making note of something...

Well stop already! :lol: :D

Yeah...I have to say I'd rather see someone else in that slot.Inge?Nah...

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
But Inge is a HUGE fan favorite in Detroit

He is?

I'm a Tiger fan, I live in Detroit and I go to plenty of games and I've never heard him considered a fan favorite. I mean, he's no Todd Jones or anything, but when the whole "Who's Your Tiger?" thing was going on, I didn't see or hear many people pick Inge.

Mine was Fernando "The Shovel" Rodney, btw.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
plainwhitejerseys said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
But Inge is a HUGE fan favorite in Detroit

He is?

I'm a Tiger fan, I live in Detroit and I go to plenty of games and I've never heard him considered a fan favorite. I mean, he's no Todd Jones or anything, but when the whole "Who's Your Tiger?" thing was going on, I didn't see or hear many people pick Inge.

Mine was Fernando "The Shovel" Rodney, btw.

I think he gained a lot of respect from fans last year when he put his own wants out of the way and did nothing but what the team needed him to do and caught instead of playing a position he was more comfortable playing like third base. He's the definition of a team player.

Mine was Justin "I Put My Head Up My Ass in 2008" Verlander

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
As far as I can remember Inge was in the middle of the list. Not at the top.

Also, Inge is a huge fan favorite. For anyone that's watched Tigers games, every time they have a poll to vote on that includes Inge he always wins. No matter how ridiculous it is to vote for him.

After Granderson he's probably my favorite player. Not because he does anything special stats wise, but just because he's been with the team since the terrible times. He's been shoved around playing everywhere before this season, and somehow has still produced this year. I think people feel for him in some ways. He basically sums up the Tigers' story as a team since he's been with them.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
nborton said:

Also, Inge is a huge fan favorite. For anyone that's watched Tigers games, every time they have a poll to vote on that includes Inge he always wins. No matter how ridiculous it is to vote for him.

After Granderson he's probably my favorite player. Not because he does anything special stats wise, but just because he's been with the team since the terrible times. He's been shoved around playing everywhere before this season, and somehow has still produced this year. I think people feel for him in some ways. He basically sums up the Tigers' story as a team since he's been with them.

He sums up the average Detroiter, actually.

I had just never heard him considered a fan favorite is all. Granderson and Magglio, yes.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
nborton said:

You hit the nail on the head. I don't know how many times Verlander and Jackson have pitched outstanding this year and Inge is still voted Tiger of the game even though he had no hits. But it is easy to understand when you stop to think about.

Chicks love Brandon Inge.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
archiebunkerjr said:
nborton said:

You hit the nail on the head. I don't know how many times Verlander and Jackson have pitched outstanding this year and Inge is still voted Tiger of the game even though he had no hits. But it is easy to understand when you stop to think about.

Chicks love Brandon Inge.

They do?
inge.jpg

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
Ian Kinsler not in the All-Star Game is exactly the reason why MLB should change the name of the game. I suggest, perhaps, any of the following titles.

1. The "My City Has More Fans with Time on Their Hands Than Yours" Game.
2. The "Contribution to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" Game.
3. The "I Can't Think For Myself When I Vote" Game.
4. The "I Only Know About 10 Players" Game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts