Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You can now receive paypal payments without any fees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
This is a useful tool for anyone on here to send payments to other board members without having paypal take their chunk out in fees. If you are sending a payment to someone and don't want them to incur any fees, follow these steps:

1. Click on the Send Money tab
2. After filling out the email address of the recipient and the amount to be sent, choose "personal" rather than "purchase"
3. Under the next set of options choose either "payment owed" or "other" (I am not sure if the other 3 options work as well, but I know that these two do work)

Your paypal payment will be sent with no fees for the recipient as long as you fund the payment with a paypal balance or bank account.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Wow, that's great....I gotta save this somewhere so that when I sell stuff here I can ask them to do that!

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
JVC said:
This is a useful tool for anyone on here to send payments to other board members without having paypal take their chunk out in fees. If you are sending a payment to someone and don't want them to incur any fees, follow these steps:

2. After filling out the email address of the recipient and the amount to be sent, choose "personal" rather than "purchase"
3. Under the next set of options choose either "payment owed" or "other" (I am not sure if the other 3 options work as well, but I know that these two do work)

Your paypal payment will be sent with no fees for the recipient as long as you fund the payment with a paypal balance or bank account.

You have been thanked!

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
cgilmo said:
you should be aware that you will have problems filing a chargeback using this option, should you need to do so.

+1, basically you can't. Personal is too friends and family only. So if you trust the person do it, if not don't. This has been around for a long time.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
That is an awesome work around...do you know how this works come tax season? I was given $1500 last year as a gift to put towards moving from my grand parents and I had to let the IRS know during tax season and got taxed on it all as well. I don't know if that would be the same via paypal or if normal paypal fees acount for that when you have fees taken out of a sale...sorry for the "rookie" question and I hope it makes sense :oops:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
metallicalex777 said:
That is an awesome work around...do you know how this works come tax season? I was given $1500 last year as a gift to put towards moving from my grand parents and I had to let the IRS know during tax season and got taxed on it all as well. I don't know if that would be the same via paypal or if normal paypal fees acount for that when you have fees taken out of a sale...sorry for the "rookie" question and I hope it makes sense :oops:

A gift was taxed? That seems a bit odd.

Skillz

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
you should be aware that you will have problems filing a chargeback using this option, should you need to do so.

+2, I would never, ever, ever do this unless the payment was made to a spouse/good friend/girlfriend, etc.

Johan Santana 57 said:
Problem I've found is that I can't print a shipping label if it is sent that way.

Paypal.com/shipnow

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
cgilmo said:

I was thinking that this would be a good solution for payments for the group BGS subs.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
EricInCT said:
JVC said:

You have been thanked!

+1!

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
justinmandawg said:
metallicalex777 said:

A gift was taxed? That seems a bit odd.

Yup, say you make $50,000 per year, and you decide to give your parents a $10,000 car, your income tax will be based on $60,000 I believe. I love the government.

nurvanna

Feb 18, 2009
phoenix, az
is there a way to pay for an ebay auction this same way with sellers that offer free shipping?
sort of a way to give thanks for offering free shipping - helping out the seller and not ebay triple fold.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
nurvanna said:
is there a way to pay for an ebay auction this same way with sellers that offer free shipping?
sort of a way to give thanks for offering free shipping - helping out the seller and not ebay triple fold.

just click personal when you pay

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just to let everyone know...if its over a certain amount of money that you send in this fashion...you will be hit with a fee.I got hit with a fee for sending like this to a board member.The amount was for $100 and the fee came out to like $3.20.Just figured I'd let people know this.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Are you sure you did not pay via credit card? It was showing up as a fee for me when I was paying via credit card, but once I switched to having the money removed directly from my checking account the fee was removed.

predatorkj said:
Just to let everyone know...if its over a certain amount of money that you send in this fashion...you will be hit with a fee.I got hit with a fee for sending like this to a board member.The amount was for $100 and the fee came out to like $3.20.Just figured I'd let people know this.

Members online