Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Forget Pablo! Why Matt Kemp should have made an All-Star!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
His last five games, he has hit 13 for 21.

One was a Grand Slam in the 10th inning tonight....

Then he makes one of the best catches of his young career tonight, pretending to be Willie Mays.

I love watching this kid play!

Definitely should have made it over Victorino, but I can't change that. Would loved to have seen him play on the big stage like that though. Maybe next year... :)

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Legit Investments said:
Also a big fan of Kemp's love the way he plays the game. The future of baseball looks bright, so much young talent.

I agree. I'm so glad they didn't trade him to Baltimore a couple years ago for Bedard. The Dodgers have been good about keeping him and not moving him. This season, people are beginning to see why.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know about definitely

Kemp
Hits-103
2B- 12
3B-6
HR-11
Runs-47
RBI-50
SB-19
SO/BB-74/34
OBP-.389
AVG.-.324

Victorino
Hits-107
2B-24
3B-6
HR-6
Runs-62
RBI-42
SB-15
SO/BB-40/36
OBP-.379
AVG.-314

So Kemp had five leading categories, but all were close except HR(Hits were close as well).

Victorino won a gold glove last year and I know Kemp is pretty good out there so that's a push.

That lost for Kemp is really from the fanbase.

Now Kemp vs Werth is a lot closer

Hits- 81
2B-15
3B-1
HR-20
Runs-59
RBI-56

SB-12
SO/BB- 74/49
OBP- .372
AVG.- .268

Obviously You're getting more power from Werth.

Also something to note Kemp's OPS-892, Werth's OPS-895 so they really are a lot closer.

FromKoufaxtoEdwin

Aug 15, 2008
ryanhoward06 said:

Kemp
Hits-103
2B- 12
3B-6
HR-11
Runs-47
RBI-50
SB-19
SO/BB-74/34
OBP-.389
AVG.-.324

Victorino
Hits-107
2B-24
3B-6
HR-6
Runs-62
RBI-42
SB-15
SO/BB-40/36
OBP-.379
AVG.-314

So Kemp had five leading categories, but all were close except HR(Hits were close as well).

Victorino won a gold glove last year and I know Kemp is pretty good out there so that's a push.

Hits- 81
2B-15
3B-1
HR-20
Runs-59
RBI-56

SB-12
SO/BB- 74/49
OBP- .372
AVG.- .268

Also something to note Kemp's OPS-892, Werth's OPS-895 so they really are a lot closer.

Kemp has had a far better season than both of those two (and Pence and Hawpe, etc). Before tonight, he was the 6th most valuable player in baseball (using offensive value and defensive value by UZR). Advanced statistics shows that the gap between Kemp and the others is too far to ignore and how big of an injustice his not making the team is.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 09&month=0
It's an absolute shame that he didnt make the team, as he has been the best overall outfielder in the majors in terms of value, let alone the national league. Its just too bad defense and position is never entered into the equation, because an elite center fielder putting up a .900 OPS is absolutely tremendous. Kemp has been the best defensive center fielder in baseball, worlds ahead of Victorino (who has actually been one of the worst).
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 09&month=0
He also has one of the top arms in the game, which adds even more to his valie. Its a no contest, but thats the advantage of having people pick the game that dont look beyond traditional statistics.

FromKoufaxtoEdwin

Aug 15, 2008
ryanhoward06 said:
::facepalm::

I'm not even going to respond to that post with any rebuttal because it is so flawed.

Any explanation of why it is flawed? It's all in the numbers, and its pretty clear and convincing. We've moved past just batting average and home runs to evaluate players, and its sort of sad that the vast majority of baseball fans are still stuck in the dark ages.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
FromKoufaxtoEdwin said:
ryanhoward06 said:
::facepalm::

I'm not even going to respond to that post with any rebuttal because it is so flawed.

Any explanation of why it is flawed? It's all in the numbers, and its pretty clear and convincing. We've moved past just batting average and home runs to evaluate players, and its sort of sad that the vast majority of baseball fans are still stuck in the dark ages.

You can prove anything with stats. Either side of an argument can use stats to favor there side.

It's ridiculous to call a gold glove center fielder one of the worst in baseball. Look at all the stats you want, more people prefer Victorino out there.

Shane is a moot point as he was voted in. Even though Werth has the numbers to be considered, it's one of the perks of going to the WS.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Pablo deserves the vote more than kemp. And kemp deserves the vote more than Victorino. The only reason Victorino beat either of them is that the vote ending at 4pm est put both kemp and pablo at a four hour voting disadvantage. Victorino got in olny because of a flawed vote system.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
ryanhoward06 said:

Kemp
Hits-103
2B- 12
3B-6
HR-11
Runs-47
RBI-50
SB-19
SO/BB-74/34
OBP-.389
AVG.-.324

Victorino
Hits-107
2B-24
3B-6
HR-6
Runs-62
RBI-42
SB-15
SO/BB-40/36
OBP-.379
AVG.-314

Hits- 81
2B-15
3B-1
HR-20
Runs-59
RBI-56

SB-12
SO/BB- 74/49
OBP- .372
AVG.- .268

RH, you have to take into account that Kemp has batted in the bottom third most of the year, while Victorino has batted in the top third of the order the entire year.

If he batted in any of the 1-4 spots of the Dodgers lineup, he would definitely have even more runs and RBI's, with possibly more homers and a higher SLG % (batting in front of Manny or behind of him, he is bound to see better pitches then batting in front of the pitcher).

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Sweetness said:
Pablo deserves the vote more than kemp. And kemp deserves the vote more than Victorino. The only reason Victorino beat either of them is that the vote ending at 4pm est put both kemp and pablo at a four hour voting disadvantage. Victorino got in olny because of a flawed vote system.
You my friend are the man haha. :)

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
The day before the vote ended victorino was in the lead breifly durin the afternoon and then pablo took the lead away again. The vote was obviously set up to favor a player from the WS champs. Total sham!!!

Kemp fans were robbed too (didnt mean to hijack the thread)

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Sweetness said:
The day before the vote ended victorino was in the lead breifly durin the afternoon and then pablo took the lead away again. The vote was obviously set up to favor a player from the WS champs. Total sham!!!
Damn them, why couldn't they end it at mid night!!!

beberly

Aug 7, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Sweetness said:

Stop the excuses. The Giants fans had three extra hours to vote the night before the last day. It was all fair.

And to the guy who called Victorino one of the worst centerfielders, where did you get that info? Victorino is a gold glove centerfielder. He has been absolutely amazing as an outfielder and is much better than Kemp as a CF. Apparently you were not watching last years NLCS. Shane had at least five spectacular plays in the outfield. He gets to balls that a lot of other fielders couldn't get to. Admit it, you're still mad about the results of last years NLCS and that's clouding your judgment.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
beberly said:
Sweetness said:

Stop the excuses. The Giants fans had three extra hours to vote the night before the last day. It was all fair.

And to the guy who called Victorino one of the worst centerfielders, where did you get that info? Victorino is a gold glove centerfielder. He has been absolutely amazing as an outfielder and is much better than Kemp as a CF. Apparently you were not watching last years NLCS. Shane had at least five spectacular plays in the outfield. He gets to balls that a lot of other fielders couldn't get to. Admit it, you're still mad about the results of last years NLCS and that's clouding your judgment.
I love your sig (great verse!), but I gotta respectfully disagree with your belief that Victorino is a better CF than Kemp. I'm not gonna take the time to research stats and all that; it's just my opinion that Kemp is the better overall CFer. To say that SV is much better than MK does smack of blatant homerism - that's laying it on pretty thick. I will agree that it's pretty ludicrous to call SV one of the worst CFers - that's obviously far from factual.

beberly

Aug 7, 2008
Binghamton, NY
TNP777 said:
beberly said:
Sweetness said:

I love your sig (great verse!), but I gotta respectfully disagree with your belief that Victorino is a better CF than Kemp. I'm not gonna take the time to research stats and all that; it's just my opinion that Kemp is the better overall CFer. To say that SV is much better than MK does smack of blatant homerism - that's laying it on pretty thick. I will agree that it's pretty ludicrous to call SV one of the worst CFers - that's obviously far from factual.

I was saying that I thought Shane was better defensively, not all around. I did go a bit overboard saying he was a lot better. Kemp did have a nice play tonight. I still think though, that Shane being in the All-Star game is not totally unmerited. He has the most hits of any outfielder in MLB and has very good looking offensive stats. And, just I said before, Shane has very, very good defense. I can see fans being bitter if it was Fukudome batting .250 and getting in with the Japanese votes, but at least Shane has very nice stats to back up the voting.

I remember what it's like to be on the other side of the fense. Last year Pat Burrell had far superior number to Cory Hart, yet Hart won the final vote. It always comes down to the players fans arguing back and forth that 2nd place player deserved to win or the winner deserved it. There are always accusations of homerism and unfair voting. In other words, I believe there are always happy and upset fans at the end of these votes and that's how it will always be.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Can kemp or victorino play 1B, 3B, or catcher? Nope... didn't think so. Pablo for PRESIDENT!

Game, set, match! THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!

I declare this thread over! :)

Members online

Latest posts