Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees may make Phil Hughes the closer when Rivera retires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From today's New York Daily News online article:

...with Rivera entering the final year of his contract in 2010, things could change for 23-year-old Phil Hughes, who is now being viewed as a potential successor for the Hall of Fame closer.

"I love it," Rivera said when asked about the job Hughes has done in his new role (as set-up man). "It looks like he's been in there for years. He goes in and throws strikes, and that's the key. Coming in from the bullpen, you have to throw strikes. He doesn't have to worry about four or five innings, so he's attacking, attacking, attacking with everything he has."

Even if Hughes winds up taking over for Rivera in a couple of years, he has no plans to do it with one pitch the way the All-Star closer has for the past 14 seasons.

When Chien-Ming **** returned from the disabled list in early June, Hughes was sent to the bullpen to serve as the long reliever. Most people figured he would return to Triple-A to resume his role as a starter, but as he kept pitching well, the Yankees decided to try him out in other spots later in games.

Assuming he stays there for the rest of the season, Hughes' development as a starter will be hindered by a lack of innings. But Girardi believes that pitching at the big-league level is a bigger plus for the young righthander, even if he doesn't build up his innings count as the Yankees had hoped he would entering the season.
"I think it's helped his development, because every inning he's pitching is a pressure inning right now," Girardi said. "You have to make your pitches, which is good for his development. I think it's real helpful."

rookieautos

Jul 9, 2009
card-treasury said:
rookieautos said:
[quote="card-treasury":2uuhuqk4]Phil will probably be the #3 starter in LAA before that happens.
What is that supposed to mean?
If I knew what part of it you do not understand, I would be happy to try and clarify what it means.[/quote:2uuhuqk4]
Just didn't understand if it meant you thought he is starting in this series or if he will be traded, and for who? Just got confused.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Why is Hughes the bullpen guy? Why can't Joba be the future closer in waiting? Maybe long-term, Joba can be more suited to being a reliever with Hughes a No. 2 or No. 3 starter.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
Lars said:
Why is Hughes the bullpen guy? Why can't Joba be the future closer in waiting? Maybe long-term, Joba can be more suited to being a reliever with Hughes a No. 2 or No. 3 starter.

agreed. +23524

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I still think Hughes is trade bait for when the right deal comes. I'm somewhat suprised he has not been traded yet!

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
matfanofold said:
I still think Hughes is trade bait for when the right deal comes. I'm somewhat suprised he has not been traded yet!

If you don't trade him for Johan, who would you trade him for? The pitchers better than Johan are not available. Doc is now available, but they have said they won't go after him and will have to pay a boat load to him in prospects and $$. Yes I know, the Yanks always say they are out and then come in (like with Tex) but this has about 0.1% of him going to the Yanks.

So if you keep Hughes instead of Johan, what deal could possibly make them want to trade him?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Johan Santana 57 said:
matfanofold said:

If you don't trade him for Johan, who would you trade him for? The pitchers better than Johan are not available. Doc is now available, but they have said they won't go after him and will have to pay a boat load to him in prospects and $$. Yes I know, the Yanks always say they are out and then come in (like with Tex) but this has about 0.1% of him going to the Yanks.

So if you keep Hughes instead of Johan, what deal could possibly make them want to trade him?

I'm not sure why you feel that the only factor in the Johan case was Hughes, but I can think of many reasons that the Johan deal did not go down, and why visually Hughes was not on the table at that point. Personally, I think they are waiting for Hughes to do something, anything to make himself seem valuable again. Making him seem akin to the next Mario seems right up there alley in trying to create value in him. Lord knows as a starter, his precieved value went down every other game.

Members online