Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My thoughts on Tim Beckham

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I saw Tim Beckham play against Lakewood last night here in NJ. On the defensive side he made 2 errors in the field. One was a questionable error and one was a bad throw. That compensated for it because he made some very athletic plays while turning double plays. He has a lot of range and speed. On the offensive side he went 1-5 with an rbi single. He looked very decent at the plate and he made solid contact. Tim will be a very exceptional player one day and at 19 he is holding his own in the SAL.

Wes

OG
Administrator
jbone17 said:
I saw Tim Beckham play against Lakewood last night here in NJ. On the defensive side he made 2 errors in the field. One was a questionable error and one was a bad throw. That compensated for it because he made some very athletic plays while turning double plays. He has a lot of range and speed. On the offensive side he went 1-5 with an rbi single. He looked very decent at the plate and he made solid contact. Tim will be a very exceptional player one day and at 19 he is holding his own in the SAL.

Thanks for your thoughts - sounds like he just needs time!

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Yeah, he looked like a little kid when I was getting his auto lol. He needs a little seasoning and he has a lot of talent. His brother jeremy absolutely sucks. In fielding practice he made 3 errors one one play. :lol: And I asked jake jefferies on why he personalizes and I asked jake is he really that good? He looked at me and started laughing and he said no!!! :lol:

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
If he doesn't stick at SS, I think it was a pretty bad pick by the Rays. They could have had Posey in or on the brink of being in their lineup right now. They desperately need a C and it was the perfect fit. Bartlett has played great, but first BJ and now Tim with tons of errors at SS. If he ends up in the OF, I think it was a mistake. They already have Jennings on the way. Maybe this means they won't be re-upping Upton's contract when its done. Who knows. They offered pretty much everyone an extension, but Bossman.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
thefasterblade said:
If he doesn't stick at SS, I think it was a pretty bad pick by the Rays. They could have had Posey in or on the brink of being in their lineup right now. They desperately need a C and it was the perfect fit. Bartlett has played great, but first BJ and now Tim with tons of errors at SS. If he ends up in the OF, I think it was a mistake. They already have Jennings on the way. Maybe this means they won't be re-upping Upton's contract when its done. Who knows. They offered pretty much everyone an extension, but Bossman.

Maybe they'll move him to 2B if it doesn't work at short.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I don't see why Tim would move out of SS. He looks very athletic and he is perfect for that position. Lakewood gave him an error where he started at normal playing depth and a ball was hit up the middle. Beckham ran from where he was playing and bobbled it on a back hand. He should have never been slapped with the error. The crowd was very impressed with him. He is a very good ball player.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
jbone17 said:
I don't see why Tim would move out of SS. He looks very athletic and he is perfect for that position. Lakewood gave him an error where he started at normal playing depth and a ball was hit up the middle. Beckham ran from where he was playing and bobbled it on a back hand. He should have never been slapped with the error. The crowd was very impressed with him. He is a very good ball player.

He had 27 errors through 60 games, not even sure how many he might have now. Sometimes these ubber atheletic SS prospects such as BJ and Justin Upton find themselves playing in the OF even though they were drafted out of HS as a SS. Its not a knock against him. BJ Upton had made amazing plays at SS in the minors for the Rays organization, but his skill set allowed him to evolve into a Gold Glove type CF...it wouldn't shock me at all to see him switch to the OF or 2B, just like Upton.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
thefasterblade said:
jbone17 said:

He had 27 errors through 60 games, not even sure how many he might have now. Sometimes these ubber atheletic SS prospects such as BJ and Justin Upton find themselves playing in the OF even though they were drafted out of HS as a SS. Its not a knock against him. BJ Upton had made amazing plays at SS in the minors for the Rays organization, but his skill set allowed him to evolve into a Gold Glove type CF...it wouldn't shock me at all to see him switch to the OF or 2B, just like Upton.

True that. The upside to the situation is that he is a very young player, but if he can develop and work hard anything is possible.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
cowboysrule48 said:
Beckham is still very young. The Rays would not have drafted him if they thought he couldn't stay at SS.

False. They drafted the best player available, not based on what they think he we stick at down the road.

You don't draft on need in the first round. You draft on best available and later on you worry about how to get him into the big league lineup.

ROLLTIDE4LIFE

Sep 10, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
cowboysrule48 said:
Beckham is still very young. The Rays would not have drafted him if they thought he couldn't stay at SS.

False. They drafted the best player available, not based on what they think he we stick at down the road.

You don't draft on need in the first round. You draft on best available and later on you worry about how to get him into the big league lineup.

Yeah but him being the best available had to do with the fact he projected to stick at SS. How could he have been the best player available if not for that fact. He's never been projected as an elite hitter overall, but perhaps as an elite hitter for a SS. Moving him off SS totally devalues him and the pick.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I'd be happy if Razor didn't exist and I had a Chrome Au of Beckham (not to mention, maybe Alvarez, Smoak, Wallace, Matusz, Lyles, Kelly, etc, etc, etc!) Hell even a Sterling Au!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Call me crazy, but how does a SS bobble a back hand on a ball hit up the middle? Did you mean forehand? Or was it hit in the hole between 3rd and SS?

jbone17 said: