Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scoreboard Coa's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I recently have had a couple of members asked me about Scoreboard COA'S and if they are worth the time. I thought this post that I posted on another board last year might help some:

One of my favorite things to do while traveling, is to visit small flea markets and look for autographs. Nearly 40% of the stuff I see at dirt cheap prices are items with a Scoreboard COA. I had a history with this company in my teenage years and have items to match stuff with the new stuff I find. People for the most part avoid these items but for the 1st 5 years of being in business they were legit. It was a company started by a father and son. They started out selling lots of cards from factory sets/vending boxes from previous years with Topps and Donruss and also with Score in 1988. They would then cherry pick all the star players and RC's and repackage the commons in lots of 100. These repackage lots would end up in stores like Will-Co and Toys R Us. They decided to start a Tristar/Steiner type business by selling sports autographs that helped pay the way for Upper Deck to do their exclusive with Reggie Jackson in 1990. Shortly, the company became a public stock option. 70% of their business was thru QVC home shopping network. The other 30% of business came from a card distributor called Smokey's Warehouse that operated in Las Vegas. Smokey's supplied card shops and dealers with the autographs obtained by Scoreboard. Scoreboard's problems started when the dad Paul Goldin dies in 1994 and the son takes over. The company would later go bankrupt in 1998 due to poor business decisions outside of sports autographs. They started their own card company, ruined Classic, signed a huge contract with Madonna, and also had signed a contract with George Lucas to release Star Wars memorabilia. It was later discovered thru Operation Bullpen that Smokey's obtained the templates/copies for the COA's along with the COA embosser from Scoreboard while acquiring a large amount of Scoreboard's inventory. A company called Athlon acquired a large portion also. Smokey's then started counterfeiting autographs due to them not being able to fill large orders that were placed before Scoreboard went out of business. Instead of canceling the orders, they fulfilled them by faking the autographs and later selling them on Ebay. However, a good many real autographs with Scoreboard COA pop up. Below are some helpful hints to help you find these dirt cheap gems:

Athletes that they had signed for in baseball the honest years are:

Jose Canseco, Bo Jackson, Darryl Strawberry, Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, Hank Aaron, Roger Clemens, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Allen Iverson, Stephon Malbury, Shaq, Drew Bledsoe, Dale Earnhardt Sr, and Jeff Gordon.

Scoreboard had a hard time selling the Dimaggio's. Scoreboard paid him something in the range of 6 million dollars over the course of 3 years to sign for them so Scoreboard could have the exclusivity of his signed baseballs coming only from them. Scoreboard, of course, has to charge in the $300 and up range to see their exclusivity pipedream come to monetary fruition. Joe's Scoreboard commitment ends, he then goes out on the show circuit, full time. He turns around and tells the promoters to charge $175 for a flat and $150 for baseballs. Scoreboard made no money off of Joe.

The majority of fake Scoreboard items are from Joe and Mickey Mantle.

Score Board photos have a sticker on the back with "Q/A" on it.

These players mostly only signed flats and balls with the exception of Strawberry, Jose Canseco and Bo Jackson signing Jersey's. If you see a Mickey Mantle bat with a Scoreboard COA, it wasn't signed by Mantle with Scoreboard present for the signing.

Joe Montana & Wayne Gretzky did sign for Scoreboard but they were under contract with Upper Deck the most part. The item amount they sign had to be small.

Most of the "NFL" Score Board items will have a NFL Logo on the Cert. and came with an "NFL" sticker to correspond with the color logo on they yellow cert. BUT... some are black and white as well.

Scoreboard never did a signing with Micheal Jordan. Jordan was the Goldin's dream client.

You will see a lot of jersey's of Starberry, Bo Jackson and Jose Canseco being called game used that would have never fit on either player and the tags will also not match up.

The Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali Pro Line cards with a Scoreboard COA on Ebay are all fake if it is stamped.

The only card redemption that could have been filled after 1998 is any auto by Kobe Bryant. Kobe's contract with Scoreboard did not expire until 2002. You will see a lot of cards with a Scoreboard stamp and COA saying its was a redemption. The majority of the redemptions were never filled. The ones that were filled were mostly on bats and they came with too many different wood colors and COA's. I would stay away from all bats.

Stay away from all Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire Autographed items. These were the 1st targets of Operation Bullpen.

The only Score Board Erving auto cards I know of are the 1978 Topps numbered to /1978.

The Star Trek autos were obtained by a 3rd party and never signed in front of a Scoreboard employee.

For cards, they never had a contract with Upper Deck or Fleer to buy their cards in bulk. With a lot of their basketball autograph signings, these cards were signed on Classic cards.

With the COA's. stay away from the ones that are signed by the son Ken Goldin or John White. You want the COA'S signed by the father, Paul Goldin on thick card stock dated before 1995 with the Goldin Sports round affixed to it. The Score Board "newer" COAs actually have a SB watermark on the back.

On Ebay, ask the seller if they still have the QVC receipt for the item. Many times they will and the invoice will help you date the item.

In conclusion, this is just half of it. If you stay with your Albert Belle and Dale Murphy type stuff from Scoreboard it was real. I went to Smokey's when the were legit one day with dad when we owned a shop in 1991 and we were picking out dozens of balls for each player among 3000 balls. You literally had a warehouse full of autographs doing nothing but gathering dust. I would love to find some old QVC christmas catalogs to compare items in the future.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Thanked. <nod>

I knew part of that story, having 'gone through' that period. But you filled in a lot of gaps.

Gracias. :)

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I bought a couple of Score Board items via the JC Penney catalogue in the early 90's (92-93?) The COA is printed on regular weight paper, but does not have an actual signature. (printed, Paul Goldin sig.) So of course, I have wondered if what I have is legit--Mike Schmidt ball, Griffey Jr. bat.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
You have been thanked again! Did not know most of that. What I did hear is that they blew alot of money on those 1998 Masters Golf sets with the Black oversized Tiger Woods rookie card. I know at one point the guy offered $100,000 for a PSA 10! I heard that is the main reason they went under. Those cards when they first came out sold at around $8-$15 a set. All of the sudden it boomed and at one point got to $400 a set. Then, with the economy, the bottom dropped out and last I knew you could pick these up for $50 a set. I also took a hit on these. I bought $13,000 worth, and sold most to recoup $4000. I still have about 6 left praying they go back up so I can recover a little more!

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
"He turns around and tells the promoters to charge $175 for a flat and $150 for baseballs. Scoreboard made no money off of Joe."

Pretty sure that the point of Score Board having DiMaggio was for prestige, to lure people in. I do remember that during shows in the 1990s, DiMaggio didn't sign baseballs (and bats) at all for quite some time that decade. Of course ScoreBoard and QVC would have those signed balls at $300 plus.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Here is a classic example of a fake Scoreboard item that was addressed on here a couple of days ago. I said that the two autos likely to be fake on the ball are the Williams and Mantle regardless of where the COA came from but looking closer at it and the Scoreboard COA's.The whole ball is fake. Scoreboard never sold these yet they came with a COA from Scoreboard. The autographs that give this 500 HR ball away are the autos of Harmon and Robinson. With that info, you would not even have to worry about the other players but the Mantle is a give away also.

Here is a auction with the same item for sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Autographed-Bal...0?hash=item3a4fc694c1&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Here are some close ups of the same ball for sell but a different ball with the same COA has the one in the Ebay auction:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
It's funny... but the most evident forged auto to me is Eddie Mathews - Mathews was more elegant than that sloppy thing. You know there's something fishy about an item when one of the more prolific signers of 500hr stuff (back then) had to be forged.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Scoreboard also got a lot of jerseys that were the exact same tagging as gamers with set #'s from many late 80's and early 90's star players. That they got signed. Many of these now get passed of as game used and in auction houses. Any game used collector with half a brain never touches these. Sadly i'm sure many of these have been purchased by card company buyers on the cheap and used for game used cards.

Utleyfan1

Aug 7, 2008
Hey
They're from Cherry Hill NJ? That's my hometown and I never even knew. Ahh I guess my age shows.
Tom

ElwayHOf2004

Apr 4, 2009
As far as Scoreboard stuff, I have a Willie Mays bat that was purchased from Sam's Club in 1996. I also have "cut" autos matted with photos of Seaver and Kiner. Not really anything else though. If you have a Stan's Sports Mem. cert or a J. Dimaggio company cert they are likely fake in the former and definitely fake in the latter.

Members online

Latest posts