Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Halladay to Rangers... any thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Halladay to Rangers... any thoughts?

The Rangers are moving Feliz to a starting role in OK city. They also moved Smoak in the clean up spot even though he has done nothing to deserve it. My thought is that they are trying to increase both Smoak's and Feliz's trade value. In the clean up spot Smoak's stats will increase dramatically and Feliz is worth a bit more as a starter in AAA vs. a reliever.

If the Rangers were not willing to part with Smoak and Feliz they wouldn't be moving either of them to higher profile roles. IMO Texas will give up Smoak and Feliz but what else will take to get Doc. Another Starting pitcher, maybe Hunter.

If the Rangers gave up Smoak, Feliz and Hunter for DOC I would be thrilled. Rangers would be an instant contender with out giving up any prospects they can't live without.

Thoughts???

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
The only thing with Texas is, they would basically be playing to win it all this season or next. I think they would have a hard time resigning him to a long-term deal. If it did net em a title though, it would be totally worth it.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Both Smoak and Fleiz are no where near MLB ready but the Rangers are one good Pitcher away from a title run now. If the Rangers make a run deep into the playoffs, and maybe a title will give them the Cash needed to sign Doc.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Hallsgator said:
They just borrowed 15 mil from the league, no way the can afford Doc's contract.

Agreed, I don't think Bud would be happy to see his money going to a player.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
What better way instantly increase a team's cash flow. Halladay would surely fill the seats and a long playoff run would make the Rangers much more profitable. I really see this as a win win situation for both teams.

Any one have any other opinions on what their teams would be wiling to give up for Doc?

dooly

Feb 9, 2009
You have to consider that halladay may not accept a trade to texas...he has historically done poorly in texas.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
dooly said:
You have to consider that halladay may not accept a trade to texas...he has historically done poorly in texas.

Besides that, he might not view them as a true contender right now.

Besides the Rangers having the prospects, nothing else really matches up.

Also Justin, what's happening with that blockbuster deal? Is it still on or was it scrapped?

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
ryanhoward06 said:
dooly said:

Also Justin, what's happening with that blockbuster deal? Is it still on or was it scrapped?

Things have changed in the situation. It has really gotten out of hand on the side of a certain team from Canada. RRRRRRidiculous. Or in online language rediculous.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
ryanhoward06 said:
dooly said:

Things have changed in the situation. It has really gotten out of hand on the side of a certain team from Canada. RRRRRRidiculous. Or in online language rediculous.

Well you said that it is the same division(east). If it's not the Phillies, and not the Mets or the Nationals, I have to assume the Braves or the Marlins. The Braves' problem isn't pitching and the Marlins have pretty good starters nor should they have the payroll flexibility. Both have the prospects for sure.

Maybe I'm under rating the Mets(especially if they take on Wells)

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
JEA2880 said:
justinmandawg said:
The Rangers are no closer to getting Halladay than they are to winning the world series.

Didn't you say a deal was getting done in 48 hours about 72 hours ago? :D

I said in the other thread that the deal fell apart. It's a complete mess now but there are two main teams with offers out. The first team is out of it altogether. Toronto wants a lot.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a Ranger fan, I wish this were true (although I'd rather the Rangers trade Chris Davis instead of Smoak).
But Halladay would never okay a trade to Texas.
Besides, as most people keep ignoring, Halladay says he wants to go to a National League team.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I think he will be traded to the Giants. They could really give the Dodgers a run if they pulled it off.

Bumgarner, Alderson and Posey for Halladay.

Halladay, Lincecum, Cain, Johnson, Sanchez

push Zito to the pen... or McCovey Cove.... whichever works better.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
I think the Rangers need to stand pat. They are being built the right way and trading the farm for 2 years of a 15 million dollar guy is not what they need to do to be a legitimate contender year after year. They are going to have to take the Marlins route to success.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
justinmandawg said:
Toronto wants a lot.

Well they should be requesting a lot.

Halladay is easily a top 3 SP in baseball right now and arguably #1.

JP nows he has bargaining power on this one. If anyone wants him, surely JP is going to make them pay up!

Members online

Latest posts