Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best CHEAP Hobby Box to get? Please vote!

Which box has the best bang for the buck

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chisox2008

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
I'm looking to get a nice hobby box, but don't really want to spend more than $50-55. I've been looking at the boxes above, and just wondering which one will not feel like a total waste of money. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chisox2008

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
chashawk said:
At the card show in Rosemont right now, D&A has 2007 SS Classic for $55/tin.
It's a better chance at much better hits than regular SS.

I was thinking about that, but it was too high. 55 Seems like a great price. When does that show end?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
chisox2008 said:
chashawk said:

I was thinking about that, but it was too high. 55 Seems like a great price. When does that show end?
Sunday afternoon. D&A and another wax seller there have very reasonable prices.
Also, I don't know if it's your thing or not, but there are a TON of Razor Sig and
Letterman boxes, and if you open it in front of BG, he'll give you a free press plate.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Personally I'd go for any of those other than Artifacts & Elements.
Then it just depends on what you're looking for.

Sweet Spot is more of of a gamble ( i tried a tin recently and wound up with like $5 of cards) as you'll have less cards and be done opening in a minute.
Masterpiece has great looking base cards. Opening that product is one of the few times of late i was actually excited with base card I pulled.
Sp Authentic is cool if you like the manufactured letter patch autos.
Threads is good if you're looking for prospects. Fun break and a chance to get some nice legends cards too.

chisox2008

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
chashawk said:
chisox2008 said:
chashawk said:

Sunday afternoon. D&A and another wax seller there have very reasonable prices.
Also, I don't know if it's your thing or not, but there are a TON of Razor Sig and
Letterman boxes, and if you open it in front of BG, he'll give you a free press plate.

That's pretty cool. I tried Razor before, and liked it, but I'm trying to focus less on prospects. Maybe I'll try to head up there, is there any way to email them and get them for the same price you think?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
rymflaherty said:

Sweet Spot is more of of a gamble ( i tried a tin recently and wound up with like $5 of cards) as you'll have less cards and be done opening in a minute.
Masterpiece has great looking base cards. Opening that product is one of the few times of late i was actually excited with base card I pulled.
Threads is good if you're looking for prospects. Fun break and a chance to get some nice legends cards too.

I agree. That stuff is amazing looking. Good inserts and autos too.

chisox2008

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
rymflaherty said:

Yeah, both artifacts and elements seem to be very hit or miss, is threads mainly prospects?

chisox2008

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for the responses, I tried heroes and wasn't too thrilled. I'm leaning towards threads, ss classic, or masterpieces now. Any other opinions would be great.

Thanks again!

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
chisox2008 said:
chashawk said:

Eh, I wouldn't buy any 2007 Sweet Spot product. Fades way too easily.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
chisox2008 said:
rymflaherty said:

Yeah, both artifacts and elements seem to be very hit or miss, is threads mainly prospects?

You probably already know, but Donruss does not have an MLB license, so the product is made up of prospects and retired legends/stars.
I tried a box and it was a fun break. Like most Donruss products there may not be HUGE hits, but there's good value and a variety of stuff you can pull. My box had a couple prospect auto's, a prospect bat card and a nice triple GU'd of Bench, Morgan and Pete Rose.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
I would get a box that you left of your list - 2008 Bowman with chrome. The autograph checklist was small with some big time prospects. And there are plenty of good base chrome rc's as well.

Members online

Latest posts