Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So, do the Cardinals make a push for Halladay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Watching The Sports Reporters and they all seem to think they will. What do you guys think? Could you imagine a rotation of Halladay/Carpenter/Wainwright/Piniero/Lohse? That is too sick. But who do they give up? I would give up the farm.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I think they would be willing to part with Rasmus or Wallace in package deals for Halladay. That is a great start, and they have many other chips to throw on top of the pile to put together a nice package. As well as good recent trade history with Toronto. If anything, I think the Cardinals will make a serious push just to show Pujols they are serious about winning, because he said that he`s pretty much gone when his contract is up if they don`t prove to him that they are going to do what`s necessary to go out and get what is needed to contend for a World Series every season.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Say the Cardinals do base a package around Wallace OR Rasmus.

Who are the other players you add in? Daryl Jones + what?

I should be MORE knowledgeable of Cardinals prospects (seeing as Houston is a Central division foe PLUS I play in two VERY deep fantasy dynasty leagues), but I just can't think of anyone out side of Jess Todd, Anthony Ferrara, Daryl Jones and Wallace right now....

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Wallace or Rasmus? Wouldn't Toronto want both of those guys to be included?

Also don't forget that the Indians still have a prospect coming from the Mark Derosa trade.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I think Phillies get him ,but it's gonna cost them. Taylor, Carrasco, and Knapp for Holliday?

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I doubt Rasmus is involved. It would be Wallace and Jones, a close to MLB ready pitcher...Boggs, Walters, or Mortensen, and a reliever...motte, samuel, todd, reifer,

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
rookieaddict said:
I doubt Rasmus is involved. It would be Wallace and Jones, a close to MLB ready pitcher...Boggs, Walters, or Mortensen, and a reliever...motte, samuel, todd, reifer,

I don't think that's enough to be honest with ya.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Here is what the Blue Jays are supposedly looking for:

ESPN Insider said:
We reported earlier that several teams have balked at the high price the Jays are reportedly asking for Roy Halladay. ESPN Insider's Keith Law offer some more.

A scout with a club interested in Halladay said that Toronto wants "three 60's" for the pitcher. In scouting parlance, that's three prospects that project to be grade 60 players in the majors, or very high level talents. According to Law, that would preclude the Phillies, but it might preclude everyone. Teams hate giving up any prospects who project as 60's or better, much less several of them. Many simply don't have that kind of value in their systems.

As Buster Olney noted earlier today, no offer has yet come close.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
I dont think the Cardinals can pull it off. They have the talent, but are the willing to part with that talent? There are several teams with the talent, but it all depends on who is willing to trade away 3 or 4 good prospects for an ace. Granted he is one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers in all of baseball.

I would honestly love to see my Braves get him, though i know it wont happen. I think more teams are going to go the way Philly did with Pedro. Possibly pick up a couple arms here and there for just a few bucks. It will save their prospects.

I honestly do not see Halladay moving. But i see several teams, including the Card, making a run at pitchers like Washburn or Cliff Lee or a veteran on a losing team.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
I don't want him.

Big fan of him, but I really don't want to get rid of Rasmus or Wallace.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Yesterday it was pretty much reported that the Cards would not be willing to part with Wallace or Rasmus and would not be a player in the Halladay sweepstakes. The Brewers have been mentioned a lot recently. I'd put the top three teams to be 1) Phillies, 2) Brewers and 3) Yankees.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I sure hope not. The Cardinals have nothing that excites me as a return for Doc. Wallace is nice, but there's not much else there that makes me say "Wow, I wish the Jays had him....."

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
To answer your question, no the Cardinals will not make a push for Halladay. Sure they will inquire, but in the end, they just dont need the pitching. Halladay is too much money for them to resign which is the only reason I would see them trying to do this deal and since the Cardinals need a bat more than an arm, I dont really see them going pass the asking stage.

I have to say though, as educated as this board is on prospects and baseball in general, I am very surprised that a lot of you are not up to date on just how good the Cardinals Minor League system is. To say it is very deep with talent at this point is an understatement.

TK

Members online