Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could Maddux be the first player with 100% of HOF votes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
I have no idea how someone could not put him on their ballot.

Tom Seaver currently has the top percentage of votes at 98.84%, with Nolan Ryan close behind at 98.79% of votes.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
I think the only reason guys like him don't get 100% is that everyone knows he is going to get in, so a few of them try and vote other guys to hopefully get them in (or at least grant them eligibility-don't you become uneligible if you don't get 5% of the votes?).

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I dont think he will get 100%.....I would have thought that Ripken, Seaver, Ryan, etc all would have gotten 100% of the votes as well, but as just previously stated, those guys are going to get in anyways no matter what, so some voters do probably try and push to get a lower tier player through.

TK

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Maddux was one of the best pitchers of all time. He was a gold glove award winning fielder, and an above average hitter for a pitcher. The only arguement I can see someone make is that he was not dominate in the playoffs.

No question in my mind he should get 100% but I feel a few clowns will not vote for him

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
You underestimate the amount of writers that are self-important d-bags that think they are bigger than the players/game.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
flightposite said:
You underestimate the amount of writers that are self-important d-bags that think they are bigger than the players/game.
+1

Also, isn't there usually at least 1 ****** every year who sends
a blank ballot to try and get some pub for his podunk local paper?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
chashawk said:
flightposite said:
+1

Also, isn't there usually at least 1 ****** every year who sends
a blank ballot to try and get some pub for his Podunk local paper?
Also it will all depend who is on the ballot with him. I would say not 100% either. Because there are some
ass clowns that vote for a guy every year if he is still on there,even though he will never get in, and continue to do so, just becuase they are fracking douches.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
When you have writers that vote for non-rookies for the ROY (Volquez last year), and writers that won't vote for a pitcher for MVP (Pedro Martinez lost in 1999 when two writers decided that pitchers shouldn't be eligible), there is no way that any player will get 100% of the vote.

What would the argument be against Hank Aaron being on your ballot for the Hall of Fame? Nine writers left him off the ballot in 1982. Nine people thought 755 Home Runs, 2297 RBIs, and 3771 hits were not enough to include him on the first ballot.

NO PLAYER WILL EVER GET 100%.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
It will never happen, but if it were to, it would be a sure-fire 1st Ballot Guy whose induction makes an important statement about the game and the direction writers want to see it going.

Maddux doesn't qualify under that because, number one, he wasn't always known as a fan or media nice guy.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Could be, but won't. Some people absolutely won't vote for a guy in his first year, some people might think there was something wrong with his stats, some people might not like him on some personal level. IMHO, if Ripken didn't get it, no one ever will.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
smapdi said:
Could be, but won't. Some people absolutely won't vote for a guy in his first year, some people might think there was something wrong with his stats, some people might not like him on some personal level. IMHO, if Ripken didn't get it, no one ever will.

I agree almost 100%, but if Ripken were to be up for induction this coming year for the first time, in the current atmosphere, he'd probably get a higher percentage than he did first go around.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't think the Consecutive Games Streak is a big deal or merit for the HOF. He was a great player, but he was considered a HOF lock far before the 3,000 hits and 400 HRs.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
With the way most writers fawn over him, I imagine David Eckstein will be the first 100% first ballot entry.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
We will not see it for one or more of 3 reasons:

1. Writers have proven in the past that they are willing to hold a grudge if a player did not do everything for said writer during their career. If a player looked at them wrong or did not take a question some writers will take it out on them in the HOF vote.

2. Writers with a vote are on record as saying that they will not vote anyone in this era through on the 1st ballot. I assume this goes for pitchers as well.

3. Writers want publicity. There is always someone willing to say they are not voting for someone just to get their 2 seconds of attention.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
thefasterblade said:
I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't think the Consecutive Games Streak is a big deal or merit for the HOF. He was a great player, but he was considered a HOF lock far before the 3,000 hits and 400 HRs.

Yes, without the Streak even Ripken was a lock.....

TK

Members online

No members online now.