Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fedors thoughts on Couture/Lenar fight.Interesting read.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
PPV:UFC 90UFC 91
Fedor weighs in on Couture loss
By Tom Hamlin/MMAWeekly.com
1 hour, 47 minutes ago

WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has a message for Randy Couture following his loss to Brock Lesnar at last Saturday’s UFC 91: keep your chin up.

MMAWeekly.com spoke with Emelianenko via telephone as he finished watching the first round of the fight on a nearby television. The top ranked heavyweight is currently in Thailand, filming an action movie starring Rutger Hauer and Michael Madsen.

“It’s a very interesting fight,” Emelianenko said of the bout’s first round through his interpreter. “So far, it looks like Randy – he’s more active in the ring.”

Asked who the winner of the first round was, he paused.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The first round, I thought Randy had the round,” he continued after a beat. “He certainly showed more skills. He was quite interesting in the first round.”

If Emelianenko knew how the fight ended in advance, he didn’t make it known. But after witnessing Lesnar’s fight-ending hammerfists, he warmed to the former pro wrestler.

“He’s a very good fighter,” he remarked. “He’s a very strong fighter. I’m very impressed with his speed.”

Emelianenko said it was too early to say how he would have approached the fight differently. Not what you’d expect, seeing as he knows a thing or two about facing monsters. In his last three years of MMA competition, Emelianenko has faced an equal amount of giants – Tim Sylvia, Hong Man Choi, and Wagner da Conceicao Martins. Lesnar’s speed clearly set him apart from those Emelianenko had laid waste to in the rings outside the UFC.

“I would certainly take a different tactic to the fight, although I do believe that Randy had a smart game plan, but it appears that he wasn’t able to control the top position, which is what I believe he was trying to do,” Emelianenko offered.

Jerry Millen, M-1 Global’s American Vice President, issued a statement following the interview that welcomed an Emelianenko vs. Lesnar fight, however grim the chances of its fruition are at the moment.

“We would welcome a Fedor vs. Lesnar matchup, but to act in a preemptive fashion to address the possibility that UFC officials will try and position Lesnar as the No. 1 heavyweight in the world, much like they have tried to use a marketing ploy to brand Anderson Silva as the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world,” the statement read. “In a match between Fedor and Lesnar, we do not feel that at this stage Lesnar would be able to make it out of the first round.”

Emelianenko has certainly resigned himself to the fact that a fight with Couture may never happen. Despite his affinity for the legend, he says it suits him fine if he never gets the chance to participate in the dream match-up.

“Nothing is ever certain,” Emelianenko said. “This is something that the managers and the organizers need to resolve. But I understand that in all likelihood if Randy stays with the UFC, that the chances of us fighting are much less, and hopefully our fans will be able to overcome that. We both have our history in the sport and if a fight between Randy and I was not to materialize in the future, there will still be other fights. I’m not going to be angry or upset about it in any way.”

In his usual understated way, Emelianenko stopped short of calling Lesnar out in his critique. That’s for the managers.

As for a message to his friend and colleague, another pause.

“I would tell Randy that – I’m sure he already knows – he’s already in the history books, that he’s a legendary fighter, and regardless of the outcome of this fight, things just didn’t go his way,” Emelianenko said.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Fedor and Brock would be a dumb idea, im honestly not sure i'd pay the money to see it since I already know what the outcome would be right now. Maybe in 2-3 years (since they are close in age) it would be a good fight, but for now, Fedor would submit Brock in, I will say, 45 seconds; 10 more than it took for Sylvia. I am basing this on Brock's size, speed, and strength ratio compared to Tim's. Brock does not yet know how to defend against lower body attacks which is what Mir was able to do. I will say Brock probably has worked on defending himself against submissions, but, still not gonna buy into anything that has to do with Brock beating Fedor.

This fight is out of the picture and will be a rumor just like the Randy/Fedor fight that will never happen. It makes no sense for Randy to fight Fedor, after seeing how Brock was able to beat him, and, since Randy will be 46, almost 47 when this fight would happen

We all know who would win--unless by some freak accident Fedor pulls a Shamrock (yeah, we can use it as a term now lol)

G

Right now, and probably for a few years ,The Vanilla Gorilla wouldn't make it out of the first round against The Last Emperor.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Fedor would sub him, no question. The fight isn't going to happen anytime soon though. I still don't think we'll ever seen him in the UFC or anywhere else where he would be stuck in a contract. He's in a position where he holds all the cards.

I really don't want Fedor / Randy to happen anymore either. Fedor would maul him very badly.On Fedor's plate this year should be:

AA
Barnett
Sergei

Members online