Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hypothetical Future Value: Jesus Montero

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Just checking ebay and Jesus Montero cards thinking about current value, total auto numbers, future possible value ranges, etc. I'm not sure how many total auto cards he has, but between Chrome, Sterling, and Donruss, we're looking at probably 3000-5000 auto cards (?). At $30-40 for a base auto right now, I'm wondering about what the ceiling is on his cards both short term and long term.

A year or two ago, I would have said he's a $100-200 guy easy. Imagine the hype around Justin Upton in New York, and it's easy to see how those prices could be achieved in a matter of 12 months or so. But now, economy problems seem to be dragging down card prices, and even established stars aren't bringing in the same cash they used to. If Montero turns into a very good major league player, we also have to consider position. If he's a DH, I think value gets cut in half.

So, worst case scenario, I see his cards stalling at $50, making profit margins essentially nill. Best case scenario, his prices reach the $50-100 range by spring, and then bounce between $100-200 depending on how he does at the major league level. That means, by my estimation, I could probably double my money on him, and maybe squeeze out a 300% profit if I gamble on early major league success. Is it worth it?...tough call.

Latest posts