Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When does the "PC" stop becoming personal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I have been contemplating this question for a long time...
I started off collecting autograph cards of HOFers. I then moved into gameused as well. I amased quite a large collection. Now since I moved into autographed baseballs my cards sit in screw downs, packed away in monster boxes, packed in storage. I don't even look at them. Every now and then I may look in my bucket to see if I have a card. I have not added to my HOF gameused collection for over a year (as I already had Rickey & Rice gameused waiting).
I believe my passion is in autographs (especially baseballs). I think it's time for me to part with the HOF gameused. I don't see them, I don't display them, I don't enjoy them... I think I will keep my autograph cards because I still love autographs. Anyone ever part with their collection? I tried at least twice and never had the guts to go through with it. I know now is not the time to sell with the market, but it is also a time to buy. if I did sell the gameused I would use the funds to buy a Mantle & Dimaggio autographed baseballs (the last quest). so I would be trading one part of the PC for a new part. I would hate to let them go and then say "I wish i had them back". On the other hand I find myself "wishing" for some nice HOF auto baseballs. Its not like I keep everything I pull anyay. Some big cards I have sold to further my collection so I think I could get over the hump.....

Any thoughts.....

Sorry for the long ramble but I need a push off the bridge. :shock:

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I routinely sell "PC" items for other cards/items I like even more or occasionally out of necessity to pay the bills. Once in a while I regret a sale but thats the life of a collector. I'd say get some "balls" and sell.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
It would be really really hard for me to part with a portion of my PC, UNLESS it was to fund another portion of my PC. For instance, I put together a 75 card auto set of prospects that was an add-on to my Ult Sig set. I had every intention for the set to remain PC. It even had rookie cards of Fielder, Verlander, Martin, Zimmerman, Drew. Very nice set, but I didn't really enjoy them, partly because they were sticker autos, plus it wasn't a part of the original set. So I sold them all off to be able to buy cards for my real set. Don't miss them at all and I'm glad I did it.

I think if you sold off the game used set and landed Mantle and JoeD balls, you would feel better about it than having them sit collecting dust and you never even looking at them. I say do it, Joe!! :D

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
I'm probably a little biased but I say go for the auto balls.

OK, I only say this b/c I'm trying to put together a HOF GU set and I'm sure you have a ton of cards that I could use :D :D

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!!!! If you decide to go after balls, please keep me in mind! ;)

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
I agree with wideright. If you already know that you don't feel the same about them as you did in the past, then I doubt you'll miss them much when they're gone. It may be hard selling the first few, but once those first few are gone & the ball is rolling you'll probably be eager to get rid of them rest to fund other projects. At least that was the case when I came across a similar situation.

jeffv96masters said:
Changing a collections focus is not unusual whether its a player, team, or group being collected,,,,,, since your not really concentrating on a specific player or team, retaining any focus at all becomes exceedingly difficult the more you realize the enormity of whats out there :?

Based on your own statements,,,,,, seems autographs are where your love is,,,, be it on a card, baseball, whatever,,,,,, seems you enjoy it more,,,,,,

I would not worry too much about selling off anything that does not bring back the collection to its original focus,,,,,, that being the HOF autos be they on flats or baseballs,,,,,

What I'd be thinking about is how to best redisplay and refocus your attention on what means the most to you,,,,,

If its signed balls & flat autos look into how to best display them where you can maintain maximum enjoyment with minimal damage/handling to the items,,,,, while protecting them,,,,,,

Do as you desire and enjoy it :D
Jeff

Jeff,
When I did the "family room" over I got rid of my old display counter. I had all my balls in cubes as well as the autograph cards displayed. My wife was thrilled when I decided to ditch the "counter". I bought five 40 ball display cases with UV doors. They even swaped out the latches for locking ones (not big time security but they lock enough to keep curious hands from playing catch with them :shock: ). It was a sizable investment, but they look great! (Again I sold a 1/1 cut auto of Clark Gable so it was like the cabinets were free. ;) So yes, I do enjoy the balls now that they are properly displayed. My wife was very hesitant in letting me put them up on one wall but it has since become a focal point in the room. It's funny my wife did the entire room / basement over and everyone who visits goes right to the balls and tells her how great they look. She gets mad and I just laugh! :lol: When I have workers over, I cut out gold poster board the size of the glass and tape them inside the glass so no one can see, or knows whats inside. They look like some new type of lights!

I got the cherry ones (I see they have come down in price)
http://www.sfdisplay.com/40baseballorho ... vdoor.aspx

So in the end displaying and enjoying the PC is better then telling people what you have locked away! :D

Thanks again for all the input!
Joe

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
To answer your question...

A "PC" stops becoming personal whenever you decide you dont want it to be anymore. Sounds like you are at that point...

To answer your other question, I think just about every board member on here has sold off "PC" items to pick up other PC items. As for the HOF Game Used stuff, I have not really noticed that big a dip in prices over them, so I think you will still do well.

TK

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I would sell the GU. You have admitted that they don't do it for you anymore, and if that's what it takes to acquire more for the real love of your PC, it will be worth it.

I, of course, am very biased toward HOF autographs.

Roughly how much are you looking to pay for a Mantle ball? I have four Mantle autos, including two balls that I got IP at a show in 1990 (one is a single sweet spot sig and the other has Mantle on the side panel with Mays on the sweet spot). I have been contemplating letting one of the balls go, but haven't been able to decide whether to send them to PSA/DNA or what...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Eh...went through the same thing with my comics but I didn't refocus on them.I got rid of all of them for sports cards.I had to have a hobby one way or the other.Once I found out I would get little cash value for my stuff unless I sold everything on ebay I just decided to put them towards what I really wanted anyways which was sports cards.It was even better since I knew I was going to have a tough time amassing a decent collection with just my own money.So the trade off actually helped me accomplish my goals a lot quicker.

The problems that I find that seem to be universal are that a hobby only means something to you if there is more to keep getting but there is an end in sight.But the problem is...sometimes there isn't enough to keep getting or sometimes the end is too far down the road.Then you start wondering what to do with something once you complete it.Then on top of that...you start to amass so much that pretty soon you are not sure of what you have or you just feel overwhelmed.You sit back and look at all the hard work and searching and all the things you have amassed and you start to ask yourself how you feel about it and if its even worth having or if you should even keep going.Pretty soon you start wondering why you even collect anything at all.Why have a hobby that entails collecting things?

The only good thing I can say about baseball cards themselves, for me, is that I can have so many but they can take up so little space that I don't feel overwhelmed.I actually enjoy collecting them and I could stop right now and come back 5 years later and would not, at any point in between, feel compelled to get rid of them.With comics that was not possible for me.

So what you have to decide is what you want and go from there.Quitting or getting rid of things is something every collector thinks about.Its nothing out of the ordinary.The best thing you can do is sink your teeth into something you care about but also at the same time , remember to make sure you actually care a lot about what you're doing.I think a lot of folks don't understand that going in.Hence why we get rid of things over the course of time.Or stop collecting altogether.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I constantly change my collection around. I used to try to keep my collection to just 100 cards, at least one nice card of "my top 100 players". I am long overdue for an overhaul again, but will probably do so shortly. I like to continue to upgrade the cards of the players I want.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
When I have workers over, I cut out gold poster board the size of the glass and tape them inside the glass so no one can see, or knows whats inside. They look like some new type of lights!

This is one of my worries too.Its why I have my own room for everything and I keep the door shut and locked so nobody enters there.I do believe the cable people tried to go in there but I told them not to and there was no reason to be in there anyways.Sometimes I get the feeling people are only saying they need to see something or check out a room so they can snoop around your house.When I used to have all my comics and action figures(I was still living with my folks at the time) I had a lot of them on display and people would walk in there to do something for the cable or electrical and they would say "Wow.Then they would ask a million questions and want to know about everything.It was cool at first but then I started wondering if I would come home one day to find everything stolen.That's a crappy feeling.

C.L.258

Dec 11, 2008
Calgary, AB, Canada, eh?
i have changed my PC a lot of times. i always change moods every now and then but hopefully i can finally find a collection i can really enjoy....btw since u dont want ur HOF U u dont mind if i take some of those molitors? lol ;)

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
I started off collecting autograph cards of HOFers. I then moved into gameused as well. I amased quite a large collection. Now since I moved into autographed baseballs my cards sit in screw downs, packed away in monster boxes, packed in storage. I don't even look at them. Every now and then I may look in my bucket to see if I have a card. I have not added to my HOF gameused collection for over a year (as I already had Rickey & Rice gameused waiting).
I believe my passion is in autographs (especially baseballs). I think it's time for me to part with the HOF gameused. I don't see them, I don't display them, I don't enjoy them... I think I will keep my autograph cards because I still love autographs. Anyone ever part with their collection? I tried at least twice and never had the guts to go through with it. I know now is not the time to sell with the market, but it is also a time to buy. if I did sell the gameused I would use the funds to buy a Mantle & Dimaggio autographed baseballs (the last quest). so I would be trading one part of the PC for a new part. I would hate to let them go and then say "I wish i had them back". On the other hand I find myself "wishing" for some nice HOF auto baseballs. Its not like I keep everything I pull anyay. Some big cards I have sold to further my collection so I think I could get over the hump.....

Any thoughts.....

When there is a price for everything.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its always helpful to remember that a collector can (and sometimes should??) change his or her collecting focus from time to time.

Its healthy and reminds someone not to take their collection TOO seriously - its there for enjoyment.

Any thoughts.....

Members online

Latest posts