Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting eBay situation, I have never heard this one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
I won an poorly titled auction last Thursday, from a new seller. Shortly after the item ended, the seller sent me an invoice. Then on Sunday the seller sent me another invoice. After talking a few emails back and forth, I paid for the item on Monday. Sent him a message, to let me know I paid and to let me know when the item shipped.

On Tuesday, I was checking my eBay and saw that the seller is "no longer registered". I figure the person put up a few auctions, got the money and ran. So I start a claim with Paypal, but it says I can't open the dispute until next Monday. Today, the seller has responded twice to the claim, here are his replies:

I live in an apartment and apparently the former resident was an eBay user who got kicked off, and since their address is now my address eBay thinks that I am someone associated with this person, which I am not. I can assure you that your item will be shipped this Friday. I apologize for the delay I was out of town tending to family matters. This is all on the up and up and again I apologize for the confusion.

Then about 6 hours later this one:

You have my word that the items will be shipped to you this Friday and that everything is on the up and up. I am not a con artist or out to rip people off. Please give me till that time and I will let you know that the items have been shipped.

He was charging for Priority, so if he ships on Friday, I should have the auction on Monday or Tuesday.

Have you ever heard of someone living at an address prior messing up someone else's chance of getting an eBay account? And I partially paid with a credit card, should I contact the bank tomorrow, or just wait out and see what happens? I would hate to wait it out, for the seller to get a chance to withdraw or spend all the money in the account, so I can't get it back.

Sorry for the long read, this one is just new to me.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Mark McGwire Museum said:
How much was it for?

Including shipping $50

BunchOBull said:
I've had a very similar thing happen and it worked out fine for what it's worth.

That's good to hear. I am hoping for a good outcome to this one. I would love to show this one off.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Blaming it on the address being the same doesn't sit well with me. Ebay/PP usually goes off IP or web-browsing addresses, not street addresses. But Ebay is so f-ed up now, they may have made that mistake.

But, like someone posted, you've got plenty of time to put in a dispute. And you still get your money back from PP, even if the customer took their money and moved to Ecuador.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I would open the dispute immediately. Let them know that if the card does show up that you will resend the money if you win. If he does ship, he should have no problem winning the dispute.

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
Something similar happened to me. A roommate of mine sold some type of musical instrument and did not bother to insure it or put delivery confirmation on it.

Even though the buyer likely received it, they filed a Paypal claim, knowing that they would win it. My roomy let his Paypal balance go into the negative and Ebay immediately suspended his user ID as well as the user IDs of all the roommates in the house, including myself.

Members online

Latest posts