Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Mets = Good for what ails the Phillies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I wrote this in another post yesterday, but I thought it may have gotten missed by some Philly fans, so here ya go:

The Phillies played the Mets on June 9, 10, and 11, going 2-1 against them. The Phillies then lose 2 of 3 to the Red Sox, get swept in 3 game series by both the Blue Jays and the Orioles, and then go 3-3 against the Rays and Blue Jays, before finishing up their 9 game road trip by being swept by the Braves. So after beating the Mets, they go 4-14 in their next 18 games.

And then the Mets show up in Philadelphia...
They sweep the Mets in 3 games, beginning a stretch of 15 wins out of 17 games.

Jimmy Rollins stats between the 2 Mets' series: .136 (8-59), with 2 doubles, 2 HRs and 5 RBIs, OPS .487
His stats since the Mets came to Philly: .366 (26-71), with 9 doubles, a triple, 2 HRs and 11 RBIs, OPS 1.058

Phillies after beating the Mets on June 11th = First place by 4 games
After getting swept by the Braves = Tied for first
Since the Mets came to Philly = Expanded their lead to 6.5 games

The Phillies are now doing the same thing to the Mets that the Braves did in the late 90s and the first half of this decade.

David

beberly

Aug 7, 2008
Binghamton, NY
The Phillies announcers are constantly talking about the way that Rollins' play affects the team. They showed the Phillies' record when Jimmy scores a run and gets an RBI in the same game and the Phils tend to win those games. The success is the same in games where Jimmy scores a run. The Phillies have a great record in those games too. It proves that when Jimmy produces, the Philles will win.

The Rollins factor was the same last year. Further proof would be when Jimmy Rollins led off the game with a home run in the NLDS clinching game against the Brewers and in the NLCS clinching game against the Dodgers. He scored two runs in the NLDS, four runs in the NLCS, and four runs in the World Series.

When the Rollins is hot, he takes the Phillies with him. He creates opportunities for them and that is why they win.

Oh yeah, I am enjoying this Mets fall. I wonder if any Mets players will be calling out the Phillies this offseason? (Mets fans, do not start using injuries as an excuse. During the 2007 season in which the Phillies came back from seven down with seventeen to play they lost Ryan howard for over a month, Hamels for a month, and Chase Utley for six weeks. There were others but they escape my mind for now)

Members online

Latest posts