Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

For plainwhitejerseys: A "Perfect" save & A "Perfect" win

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
43 times, a pitcher has struck out 3 batters in one inning on 9 pitches.

The only "Perfect" save:

Latroy Hawkins - September 11, 2004
All 3 strikeouts were swinging strikeouts.

The only "Perfect" win:

Jason Isringhausen - April 13, 2002
Izzy came into the game in the top of the 9th of a 1-1 game. He retired the side on 9 pitches, and got the win when the game ended in the bottom of the inning on a Eli Marrero single. Again, all his strikeouts were the swinging version.

A few other notable 9th innings with 3 strikeouts on 9 pitches:

Mel Rojas got a 2 inning save on May 11, 1994 and struck out the side on 9 pitches in the 9th inning.

Bruce Sutter got the win after pitching 3 innings on September 8, 1977, but the game went to 10 innings. His 9 pitch, 3 strikeout performance did come in the 9th inning, though.

Jim Bunning pitched a perfect 9th inning on August 2, 1959. He entered the game in the 9th inning, but did not get the save. Why? Because his team was already losing when he came into the game, and ended up losing the game.

Ron Guidry finished off a 4-hit shutout on August 7, 1984 by striking out the side in the 9th on 9 pitches.

David

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
untitled3.jpg

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
beefycheddar said:
Dan Bard had a perfect save I believe this year.

You are probably thinking of this game: June 12, 2009

It is the only save so far in his career.

In this game, he pitched one inning and recorded 3 strikeouts. However, he also walked Chase Utley and hit Raul Ibanez with a pitch. He threw 19 pitches in the inning.

d

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
WHATS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PITCH'S A PITCHER HAS USED IN A 3 OUT SAVE ?.....SWEET IF THERE WAS A 3 PITCH SAVE....COMBO OF 3 GROUND OR FLY BALL OUTS WITH PITCHES ?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Correction to my original post:

It looks like Doug Jones and Todd Worrell may need to be added to the "Perfect" save list with Latroy Hawkins. However, pitch counts before 2000 are often tough to verify. Nevertheless, I am including these games as the pitch counts on B-R state that there were only 9 pitches in these games:

Doug Jones - September 23, 1997
Todd Worrell - August 13, 1995

It still looks like Izzy has the only "Perfect" win.

d

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
CISCOKID23 said:
WHATS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PITCH'S A PITCHER HAS USED IN A 3 OUT SAVE ?.....SWEET IF THERE WAS A 3 PITCH SAVE....COMBO OF 3 GROUND OR FLY BALL OUTS WITH PITCHES ?

Bobby Jenks on April 15th, 2008

Came into the game with runners on 1st and 3rd and no outs in a 3-1 game. First pitch, Emil Brown hits a sac fly, scoring the runner from third - one out. The runner on first holds there. Next pitch, Bobby Crosby grounds into a double play.

2 pitches, 3 outs

JJ Putz on July 4th, 2007

He enters the game with runners on 1st and 2nd. First pitch, Shane Costa grounds into a force play at 2nd base. One out, runners on 1st and 3rd. Next pitch, Alex Gordon grounds into a double play. Again, 2 pitches and 3 outs.

Those are the only 2 I can verify.

David

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Here's a 3 pitch save for a pitcher who came into the game to pitch the 9th inning (Mariano Rivera, of course):

June 15, 2003

He hits Pujols with the first pitch. Second pitch, Tino Martinez grounds into a double play. Third pitch, Jim Edmonds grounds out to 2nd base.

3 pitches, 3 outs.

David

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
CISCOKID23 said:
It could easily be a one pitch save. The other night, the Yankees were winning 6-2 vs. the orioles. They had Bruney pitch the 9th, after retiring two batters, he gave up two Home Runs. They put in Mo and he got a one out save. I'm sure a closer has gotten a one pitch one out save at one point.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
trademhigh said:
CISCOKID23 said:
It could easily be a one pitch save. The other night, the Yankees were winning 6-2 vs. the orioles. They had Bruney pitch the 9th, after retiring two batters, he gave up two Home Runs. They put in Mo and he got a one out save. I'm sure a closer has gotten a one pitch one out save at one point.

He stipulated that it be a 3 out save.

There have been many pitchers, including Trevor Hoffman against the Mets recently, who threw one pitch and got TWO outs. Here is a post I made recently about just this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50720

d

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
leatherman said:
trademhigh said:
CISCOKID23 said:

He stipulated that it be a 3 out save.

There have been many pitchers, including Trevor Hoffman against the Mets recently, who threw one pitch and got TWO outs. Here is a post I made recently about just this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50720

d

Oh ::facepalm:: My bad. I missed that. :oops:

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
trademhigh said:
CISCOKID23 said:

Yeah, but thats a one out save

A closer could enter the 9th with men on and no outs. Have the catcher pick off a base stealer, then have a batter ground into a double player. There are obviously more possibilities.

Members online

Latest posts