Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ron Santo is just terrible!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Although I am a long time Cardinals fan I happen to live in the Chicagoland area. Because I love baseball and can't often get a Cards game up here I sometimes listen to the Cubs games at work. NOT ANYMORE!

Ron Santo may have been a hell of a ballplayer but he is as bad as it gets as a radio broadcaster. I would go so far as to say he is the worst broadcaster in baseball history. I've heard complaints about Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver before but they sound like Vin Scully and Jack Buck compared to this guy.

He stammers, he stutters, he leaves dead air, he mispronounces names, he misses plays, he is outright wrong about many of his baseball "observations," and he whines his ass off all day long.

I respect the man greatly as a player and for what he does for diabetes research but he is god awful in the booth. I actually feel sorry for Pat Hughes; he spends half of his play by play time trying to figure out what the hell Ron just said and the other half trying to come up with a response to his nonsensical statements. They need to let him go. Sorry for the rant but Cubs fans deserve better.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Any discussion of horrible mlb announcers has to begin (and end IMO) with Hawk Harrelson. He's easily the worst to listen to.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Hawk is bad but he isn't even in the same league with Santo. He actually leaves Pat Hughes speechless at times.

andyduke86 said:
Any discussion of horrible mlb announcers has to begin (and end IMO) with Hawk Harrelson. He's easily the worst to listen to.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Eh, I'm sure it is because I am a Cubs fan but I love Pat and Ron, Ron is no good with much of the broadcasting stuff but Pat is just wonderful and no one lives and dies with the Cubs more than Ron!

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I thought everybody was pretty much already in the know that Santo wasn't good. People love him because he's Ron Santo and is beyond passionate, not because he's going into the broadcasters hall of fame.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I think that Pat does a great job, I really do. Ron on the other hand should no longer get a pass because he was a former Cub. This guy butchers the game. I kid you not, if you are fortunate enough to not have to listen to Ron Santo go online and search it out; once your ears stop bleeding you can post your thoughts here.

masonphillip said:
Eh, I'm sure it is because I am a Cubs fan but I love Pat and Ron, Ron is no good with much of the broadcasting stuff but Pat is just wonderful and no one lives and dies with the Cubs more than Ron!

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
I think that Pat does a great job, I really do. Ron on the other hand should no longer get a pass because he was a former Cub. This guy butchers the game. I kid you not, if you are fortunate enough to not have to listen to Ron Santo go online and search it out; once your ears stop bleeding you can post your thoughts here.

masonphillip said:

I used to listen ALL of the time when I lived in Illinois, so I know what you speak of, I actually find his butchery quite funny when compared with Pat's eloquence.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Hawk Harrelson is not that bad either. I actually like the fact he is such a homer (even though I don't like the White Sox) and he has his own unique sayings.

He knows baseball too.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
My favorite duo of all time had to be Chip Carey and Steve Stone. I truely miss those guys calling the Cubs games.

Hawk Harrelson is a fricking moron. It's okay to be a homer. That doesn't bother me. It's the fact that he is so obnoxious being a homer

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
kentuckyderby said:
Cub fans love Santo
The vast majority think he's "cute" or "classic Ron" while non-Cub fans = annoyed by him

Very similar to how people feal about Hawk Harrelson

How does anyone like this guy?

Hes awful....that whole YES!!! thing is the worst line in sports broadcasting history.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
CURSES! how dare you knock santo and his announcing?! next thing you'll try telling us cub fans is that harry caray was a pitiful announcer! :lol:

(and other than hughes/santo, the next best duo was stoney/caray)

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
1. Ron is a color analyst, not an announcer.
2. Pat more than makes up for Ron's ineptitude. IMHO, he is one of the best in the game.
3. Harrelson is a turd with lips. Even most Sox fans I know don't like him.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
yes, stone is now announcing for the sox. it's too bad that dusty baker had him fired from the cubs.........all because stoney called baker on his horrible calling of the games.......

hitforthecycle said:
Agreed on the Caray/Stone duo. Isn't Stone announcing White Sox games now?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
OP just so you know I forwarded this post to Ron and let him know how you felt.
I also posted it on the Cubs message board. So you may want to move out of town
like Steve Bartman did, because it is not going to be good for you, I hope you can sleep at night.

Lock the doors and watch your back :lol: :lol:
I'm kidding :D

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
hitforthecycle said:
Agreed on the Caray/Stone duo. Isn't Stone announcing White Sox games now?
Yes but he is and he said way better then Harrelson, I almost can't stand the fact Harrelson calls
me Stone Pony all the time

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
No, he is not. Please understand that the next thing I type I mean in all seriousness; there are times that Ron Santo comes off as possibly mentally retarded. I am 100% serious about this. There are times that he will stop mid sentence and let out some sort of unintelligible sound and not only forget what he was about to say, but will actually start up a new thought. It is actually a little bit sad. I think he needs to retire or the Cubs need to fire him. He was on an extended leave recently due to his poor health and I think it might be in his best interest to devote all of his time to the management of his disease.

George K said:
Give Santo a break. He's okay doing commentary.

Members online

Latest posts