Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blue Jays asking price for Doc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Andy Martino is reporting for the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Jays and Phillies are in trade talks with the Phillies and they have asked for Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ, and Dominic Brown.

Exact quote:

Well, here it is, the Blue Jays asking price for Roy Halladay: Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi has spoken to the Phillies within the past 24 hours and negotiations are underway in earnest, baseball sources tell the Inquirer. They want Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ and Dominic Brown.

That's what they've asked for. It remains to be seen how the Phils will respond to that.

That's supposedly all. I don't know what to make of this. I certainly think it would be a pretty good deal(especially for the Phils) but I don't know which pitcher I would rather give up(and replace with Jason Knapp, who they have been said to like).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
You gotta pull the trigger on this one. I can't believe the Blue Jays aren't asking for four-five players and Michael Taylor isn't one of them.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Also, I thought there was a report that the Phillies were NOT going to trade Drabek in the Doc deal. So this thing could not happen.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
Also, I thought there was a report that the Phillies were NOT going to trade Drabek in the Doc deal. So this thing could not happen.

Supposedly that was a mistake. There were reports yesterday that they were willing to deal him. I think he might be the top guy on the Phillies board though.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
As a Die hard Jays fan I have to now realize that this is becoming a reality that Doc is likely to leave Toronto. The one problem I have is its JP Ricciardi making the move who's a F%^&*(G IDIOT!!!! Happ, Drabek and Brown I like it but we all know they can get more especially the fact that the cards picked up Holliday its putting pressure on the rest of the divison/NL. So please JP all I ask for is you make the BEST possible deal PLEASE!!!!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
matty07 said:
As a Die hard Jays fan I have to now realize that this is becoming a reality that Doc is likely to leave Toronto. The one problem I have is its JP Ricciardi making the move who's a F%^&*(G IDIOT!!!! Happ, Drabek and Brown I like it but we all know they can get more especially the fact that the cards picked up Holliday its putting pressure on the rest of the divison/NL. So please JP all I ask for is you make the BEST possible deal PLEASE!!!!
The Brewers I think could equal or make a stronger offer than the phillies one.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
matty07 said:

I think the Holliday deal just took another bidder away. I think that is why they have now begun serious talks. The Phillies and the Brewers are really the only teams that can do a deal. The Dodgers don't have the prospects(they have a lot of good young talent in the majors that they don't want to move). The Brewers supposedly don't want to move Escobar or Gamel, but that can always change.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
matty07 said:

honestly that is a pretty good return imo. brown is a toolsy of'er who is performing well, drabek is one of the top pitching prospects in the minors and happ is a reliable mlb starter...much more than what the mets gave up for santana

brumbach

Wow, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and we'd get to keep Taylor. I like Happ but if that's the deal then I say go for it. And I've learned not to believe anybody throughout all of the rumors and media talk over the past month or so that this has been going on. I think that the botched Mets trade talk was fabricated and I think that the no-trade on Drabek was another BS move on someone's part.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
If I were the Phils I would not trade Drabek. He is also a good hitting pitcher and he is a number 3 starter for the Phils in my book. They could most likely get Halladay with this:

J.A. Happ
Dominic Brown
Joe Savery
And one more decent minor leaguer

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
jbone17 said:
If I were the Phils I would not trade Drabek. He is also a good hitting pitcher and he is a number 3 starter for the Phils in my book. They could most likely get Halladay with this:

J.A. Happ
Dominic Brown
Joe Savery
And one more decent minor leaguer
No way they get Halladay without trading Taylor or Drabek.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
ryanhoward06 said:
Andy Martino is reporting for the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Jays and Phillies are in trade talks with the Phillies and they have asked for Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ, and Dominic Brown.

Exact quote:

Well, here it is, the Blue Jays asking price for Roy Halladay: Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi has spoken to the Phillies within the past 24 hours and negotiations are underway in earnest, baseball sources tell the Inquirer. They want Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ and Dominic Brown.

That's what they've asked for. It remains to be seen how the Phils will respond to that.

That's supposedly all. I don't know what to make of this. I certainly think it would be a pretty good deal(especially for the Phils) but I don't know which pitcher I would rather give up(and replace with Jason Knapp, who they have been said to like).

I think i'm stuck on the fact that anyone who is a phillies fan and understands the strength of the phillies minor league system would be ok with trading two of the top 25 prospects in all of baseball for a 32 year old pitcher with alot of innings on that arm and a year and a half to go on his contract...

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
I would probably say the same thing any other year for the Phillies, but this team has a shelf life of about 3 years(at the most).

I'm as big of a fan as anyone of all Phillies MILB players. I check the box score/recaps every day and listen to a game when ever I can. As you pointed out I do know the strengths of the system and I have a lot of confidence in what players we will have in 3 years. The outfield and pitching are probably the deepest and catching might be the deepest in the minors.

Trading your top prospects in order to play into the myth of shelf life is why there is such a thing. If you draft well and sign those kids and then bring in Free agents is how you stay good for a long time. The phillies should take that into consideration. The Blanton trade last year gave up alot of talent and only one of those players was in the top 100. I dont think folks realize how much talent you give up when you add two A prospects to a deal.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
BrewerSuperCollector said:
There would be no way I'd give up Happ and Drabek. Halladay can walk at the end of the season.

Yeah dude.... Halladay has this year and next remaining, and wants to sign a contract with a winner AKA the Phillies.

He just wants to win.... I bet if we went there within 3 months he would be signed for 4-7 yrs.

And we wants to test free-agency IF he is still a jay.

Shep :ugeek:

Members online