Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jason Heyward: Sell or Hold

Jason Heyward: Sell or Hold

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Pretty basic question. One thing to keep in mind though is that Strasburg becomes your #1 prospect August 18.

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
I don't own any Heyward, but I would say hold. Obviosely he could get hurt and his chrome auto could be $25 - $30 a pop. But he has such a huge following and will really explode in value if he gets the call or goes on a real tear. I would say if as long as the chrome auto stays under $50, he is a good hold. Above, it's probably a good sell unless he really starts to heat up offensively.

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
bballcardkid said:
So it's safe to say 08 Auto > 07 Draft in terms of desirability?

Unfortunately...The idea was good to sell 2008 bowman by putting in chrome autos of Heyward/LaPorta/Bumgarner. In my opinion, it had a very negative effect on the 2007 BCDP Non-Autos. People seem to be fascinated by autographs, and the huge drop in demand for the 2007 BCDP represents this as compared to the heightened demand for the 2008 BC autos. I remember when LaPorta/Price/Mous/Heyward blue refs were going $100+ a piece. Now even Heyward doesn't hit that, and he's actually gone up in value as a comparrison to when 07 draft first came out.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I hated the idea of recycling the autos, but since Topps did it, I was a big believer that the 08's would be more desirable than the 07's. I remember some of the polls and most on this board preferred the 07's.

But instead of derailing the thread, I'll go ahead and say sell a few Heywards if you have a mega stash. If you have few, hold em.

abravesfan

Aug 10, 2008
07 have suffered a good bit from the autos, though refractors have gone up (hitting $20 now, were done around $12 earlier in the year). Xfractors haven't (still going $30-35), seem undervalued given the lack of serial numbering on the refractors

as for the overall question, I think its mostly hold, maybe sell a few to lock in a little profits... outside of sterling autos, nothing has gone up huge compared to when it came out, and theres still room for growth, especially with a late season callup if he continues to destroy AA. However, if you want money this year, now would be a safe time to sell, because theres no guarantee he'll get any hotter

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Um, well, I just got $46dlvd for my 2007 Draft Refractor BGS 9.5.

Thought that was amazing since I originally bought it for $6 and spent $6 on grading it.

TonyB74

Sep 13, 2008
I agree with everyone who is saying to hold. It may sound like wishful thinking but I think that Heyward is going to end up being another Pujols-type hitter when all is said and done. I see his cards finishing for Jay Bruce-type prices after he is first called up if he comes out of the gate hot and I think that Heyward will turn into a 30-40 home run / year hitter after he fills out. He is the total package who can hit for good average, the doubles will turn into home runs in time and he has great plate discipline. I haven't been as high on another prospect since Ken Griffey Jr was coming up which is saying something.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
I wouldn't be picking up Sterling if I were buying, I would be picking up Chrome. The design and on-card auto is very attractive and it will help drive the price. Remember the Laporta craze. Chrome is king.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
After watching guys like Kershaw, Billingsley, Justin Upton, etc. dominate in the major leagues and sell for 70% of what they did when they dominated in the minor leagues, I just don't see the benefit of waiting for call-ups anymore. If you stand to make a decent profit, sell and don't look back.

TonyB74

Sep 13, 2008
After watching guys like Kershaw, Billingsley, Justin Upton, etc. dominate in the major leagues and sell for 70% of what they did when they dominated in the minor leagues, I just don't see the benefit of waiting for call-ups anymore. If you stand to make a decent profit, sell and don't look back.

None of those guys play in the Atlanta market though. Tommy Hanson and Jordan Schafer are 2 examples of players whose cards blew up after they were called up and started performing well though Schafer faded after awhile. I listed what I had of both after they were called up and could have made at least another $500 profit so I plan to hold my Heyward stash until after he at least gets the call.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
just sold a base sterling for $65 dlvd on the bay (payment recieved). Not sure what to do with my 2 ster refs

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Not sure if you guys saw it or not, but I've had a Sterling Auto BGS 10 on ebay with a BIN of $250 for several weeks. The BIN got hit last night. I'm VERY happy with that sale.

GREAT sale!!!

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008
Wow, i'm almost tempted to throw my BGS 9.5 sterling refractors on eBay. With a raw getting 130ish, I wonder how high these will go.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
I'd rather buy an AFLAC than the 2009 Chromes, but when a guy is really hot, no matter the brand, his cards sell. I would say to still hold. Hes the most likely guy in the hobby to have that Longoria like impact. Selling base Sterling Autos for a $25.00 profit doesn't really get me going.

Members online

Latest posts