Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever had cards stolen? Any luck ever finding them again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Wondering who has had cards stolen in the past and the stories that go along with them, who did it, how much did you get stolen, any luck ever getting them back?

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
when i was in middle school a guy stole 5 todd van popple RCs from me. i found out who did it , hit him in the eye went thru his backpack & took em back ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Yes, in 2005 I had about 30-40 packages come up missing in the mail. I printed the ebay pages for each and filed a complaint with the PO. Took a long time but an investigation was done and discovered someone figured out what was in them and started stealing from the PO receiving line. The person was fired etc......

One person at the Raleigh NC show seemed to always have the cards I had stolen, took some time but most were recovered after the police approached the guy with all of the documentation.

adamondo5

Feb 25, 2009
had two 1/1's taken right off the table at the LCS. some guy we had never seen before came in, took them without us noticing and hasn't returned.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
When I was 12, my dad was going through his parents' attic and found his old cards. He sent them to me and I was going through the price guide to see if any had significant value. out of the 34 he had, only 1 stood out. 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC. At that time, it booked for $700 I believe. About 2 weeks later when my dad arrived back home, every single card was still in the box, minus the Jackson. I have an idea of who stole it but never did get the card back.

abravesfan

Aug 10, 2008
had 2 cards stolen a couple months back when they came while I was gone on a weekend, an 08 Topps Update 3x all-star jersey McCann/Martin/Navarro /25 and a 2009 UD McCann Jersey 3x ATL /99

Went back and forth with the post office, but no luck as they seemed to wash their hands because the DC had shown delivered even though they probably were lifted after being left in front of my door, no neighbors had seen anything either

haven't seen another copy of either since

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I was trading with a guy I had never met before, and the box I had my cards in wasn't in the best shape. So the guy told me to go get another box to put my cards in. When I got home, I realized I was missing my Kevin Garnett Sweet Shots Auto. Never got it back.

Seems like every time I do a show, which isn't too often, I usually have 1 card stolen.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
We had a member of the boards, Wheeler281, recently get a 1/1 NFL shield card stolen. He created a thread asking for peoples' help getting the card back. I won't ruin the ending for anybody who hasn't read it, but internet sleuthing was done.
Here's the thread.

rookies_plus

Mar 28, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I had a 1994 Bowman Marshall Faulk RC stolen from me in 1994, by the kid named Kevin Wolter, I later ended up gaining a bunch of size from football / lifting, asked him about it and the kid brought it back to high school the next day.

I also traded with a kid online off ebay which I will never do again and got my Michael Taylor Gold REF jacked and a Jesus Montero Auto Ball and 20 Michael Taylors....

his name is KEVIN DUFFY and he collects Jesus Monteros, if I ever see him in person I will get a 5th degree assault charge....

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I had all of my Basketball cards stolen in middle school.We used to trade them every day and I had them in my binder.I was messing with a friend of mine and he got pissed and chucked my whole bagpack out the door when I wasn't looking.Needless to say the cards were gone.If and when I have children...if they collect anything...it will never go to school.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
a few years back i bought a griffey buy back off ebay, later the seller emailed me asking if i was interested in other ones, i bought like 10 other high end griffeys
then one struck me funny it was one that a BIG griffey collector had bought just months back... i emailed the old seller asking if the sale went thur he said yes, thhen i emailed the griffey guy.........well needless to say all those i bought were his cards, he didnt really know they were missing well i got my cash back, he got his cards, and the theifs got caught

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
George_Calfas said:
Yes, in 2005 I had about 30-40 packages come up missing in the mail. I printed the ebay pages for each and filed a complaint with the PO. Took a long time but an investigation was done and discovered someone figured out what was in them and started stealing from the PO receiving line. The person was fired etc......

One person at the Raleigh NC show seemed to always have the cards I had stolen, took some time but most were recovered after the police approached the guy with all of the documentation.

This is a great story, I wish I had seen it first hand. Vigilante justice at its finest.

As for me, I bought a box of 96-97 Topps Chrome basketball from a guy in Colorado Springs, CO on ebay when it was in its infancy and far less secure. $650 later, we never got the box. I felt like the biggest jerk ever as I had assured him he had nothing to worry about.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
magicpapa said:
a few years back i bought a griffey buy back off ebay, later the seller emailed me asking if i was interested in other ones, i bought like 10 other high end griffeys
then one struck me funny it was one that a BIG griffey collector had bought just months back... i emailed the old seller asking if the sale went thur he said yes, thhen i emailed the griffey guy.........well needless to say all those i bought were his cards, he didnt really know they were missing well i got my cash back, he got his cards, and the theifs got caught

That's the problem with stealing extremely high-end cards from somebody. The only people who buy cards that expensive are SERIOUS collectors, and with the advent of the internet there are quite a few ways for these people to meet each other. You'll be selling the card you stole to another serious collector and there's a decent chance at least one person has seen the card or heard that it was stolen.

Frow

For a few months I was working nights with my wife and my mom stayed over to watch the kiddos. During a stormy night someone broke in and cleaned out a china cabinet that had nothing but my cards in it. Mostly mid-tier Royals cards that the Team Collectors hooked me up with.

Of course up until that point I had all my Royals cards put in a database.....except those ::facepalm::

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Groat said:
We had a member of the boards, Wheeler281, recently get a 1/1 NFL shield card stolen. He created a thread asking for peoples' help getting the card back. I won't ruin the ending for anybody who hasn't read it, but internet sleuthing was done.
Here's the thread.

Greatest thread ever. Wheeler is my new hero. He's like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction - he solves problems.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
I remember many years ago I was set up at a show and this kid about 13-14 comes up and asks me if I am buying or trading. So I start looking through his box and I see he has a Finest Ebossed Gold Refractor of like Robin Ventura. Now as most on here know these were extremely hard to pull with some huge odds and my buddy next to me had one for a while and could not get rid of it for anywhere near what its BV was and we always teased him about the unmovable card. (Ebay was not yet quite as main stream as it is now) So when I saw the Ventura I immediately said he has got a Ventura just like yours. Then a split second later we both look down at his table and there is an empty hole where the Ventura had been. (He did not have a case) Kid breaks for the door gets caught, he has quite a few other stolen cards in his box which are almost all crap, cops and parents called, his dad shows up and looks ready to whip his butt right there. All in all pretty funny over the trouble you can get in over some ball cards.

Members online