Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Steinbrenner’s reign is over. Hal takes over as owner.

Does Steinbrenner deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
http://zellspinstripeblog.com/2008/11/2 ... the-yanks/

Hal Steinbrenner now takes over the day-to-day operations of the New York Yankees. Hal turns 40 years-old on December 3rd. Who would have thought? George Steinbrenner…a wealthy shipping businessman, would become one of the most controversial sports figures in history. A guy that everyone thought knew nothing about baseball..delivered 10 pennants and six World Series titles during his tenure. It’s either you liked him, or you hated him. He was exiled from baseball, and was brought back again. He changed free agency, salaries, and the business of baseball. He restored a dynasty & fired his manager 22 times as the owner. He issued a head and facial hair policy, he was involved in thoroughbred horse racing, he was on Seinfeld, Lite Beer commercials, Visa commercials, and was made for the media. He was caricatured again in 2007 on ESPN series “The Bronx Is Burning.” The man was everywhere you could imagine. Steinbrenner had his problems with Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, and Dave Winfield over the years, but that didn’t get in his way. So..the question now is…does he deserve to be in the HOF?

Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next.

~George M. Steinbrenner III

steinbrenner096765do9.jpg

Hal is responsible for the club’s financial operations, and Hank will oversee general manager Brian Cashman and baseball operations.

Hal’s thoughts:

“As I said at the meeting, I appreciate the confidence that Commissioner Selig and the rest of the owners have in me,” Hal Steinbrenner said. “I realize it’s a great responsibility. Needless to say, my dad is a tough act to follow. But I’m going to do it to the best of my ability and give it my all every day. I certainly won’t make light of the magnitude of it.”

“He’s been slowing down for the last couple of years,” Hal Steinbrenner said of his 78-year-old father. “For the last two years, I’ve been intimately involved with all departments and all aspects of the company. It’s what I’ve been doing day-to-day. My duties really aren’t going to change, and my work days really aren’t going to change much.

“I think Hal is a little shy about this, but the last few years he’s been in New York every single week,” said Yankees president Randy Levine. “He’s on top of everything. George is still going to be involved. This is really a codification — with the Commissioner’s help and input — of what’s been going on the last several years.”

What a great memory:

[youtube:1aa04igk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_adzJYH8U[/youtube:1aa04igk]

The good times we had….

yankees097659868646tk3.jpg

G

He made the New York Yankees mean something again. Brought them back to prominence after some down years.

Members online

Latest posts