Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hank Aaron is speaking out on steroid users

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's great that he's speaking up this way. It's a shame that he has to act as a kind of guardian of his own legacy, but that's the way this might play out. Unfortunately, I can't help but wonder if this would've been more effective 2, 5, 10 years ago. While Bonds was flying past 700, Aaron was very diplomatic, but there could've been some way to express these feelings at the time.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
The steriod problem is very easy fix. Any player found to have used PED's should have every one of their stats deleted every record, stat, championship, everything, gone. Any mention of the player ever having existed is gone. Simple

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
When you think of it, these guys who used and got caught, faced no MLB penalties. I was watching the Mets/Astros game, and thought about Tejada, got caught and nothing happened to him. I mean, what example does that set for kids. Juice and you can get to the majors, perhaps, and if you get caught no big deal. I mean, look these guys are playing for a huge paycheck, not for the glory of the game. Sorry to say.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
gregbara said:
When you think of it, these guys who used and got caught, faced no MLB penalties. I was watching the Mets/Astros game, and thought about Tejada, got caught and nothing happened to him. I mean, what example does that set for kids. Juice and you can get to the majors, perhaps, and if you get caught no big deal. I mean, look these guys are playing for a huge paycheck, not for the glory of the game. Sorry to say.

Yep but 50 games without pay now is a big deal just ask Manny. Personally I think it should be whole year.

Aaron interview mention putting an asterisk on the record. This is the least we can do if Bud Selig want to show that there is a penalty for cheating.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think the reason for the reluctance of several current and former players speaking out is due to trying to keep from sounding like an ass and alienating themselves from other players and friends.I mean...it can kill team chemistry and also friendships.Plus people may paint them as elitists.Its really not that big of a deal if someone speaks out but you know when the media gets going it doesn't stop until it gets nasty.I think a lot of guys of Aaron's stature have just , in the past, decided it was better to just keep quiet about it.Kind of like when you are at the in-laws house and you hate your in-laws but you try to keep it mum for fear of causing a rift or a divide.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
It was very diplomatic for Aaron not to say anything years ago when Bonds was at the verge of breaking his record but I wish he would have said it then.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Bonds had more MVPs than Aaron while he was skinny! Bonds also was already 400/400, and won multiple gold gloves. People want to dismiss all of these guys acomplishments, but most of these guys were already great!

McGwire-Hit 49 homers as a skinny rookie, he didn't need anything.

Bonds- Already listed what he acomplished, he was already a first ballot HOFer.

Clemens- Already had multiple Cy Youngs.

Manny- Been a great hitter his entire career.

Jason Giambi- Was an Olympic athlete, and great hitter already.

ARod- Was the 1st pick out of High School! Was a pure stud already.

If people want to attack someone, attack Sosa, Bret Boone, Brady Anderson, Caminiti, Jose Canseco, and the others who were nothing before they used.

Bonds, Clemens, ARod, and McGwire are the guys that get all the heat because they are the most talented. These guys were First ballot anyway.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
bodiaz said:
Bonds had more MVPs than Aaron while he was skinny! Bonds also was already 400/400, and won multiple gold gloves. People want to dismiss all of these guys acomplishments, but most of these guys were already great!

If people want to attack someone, attack Sosa, Bret Boone, Brady Anderson, Caminiti, Jose Canseco, and the others who were nothing before they used.

Bonds, Clemens, ARod, and McGwire are the guys that get all the heat because they are the most talented. These guys were First ballot anyway.

They are ALL tainted. Defend them all you want, but in the court of public opinion, they are all failures.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
bodiaz said:

I agree that they may have been First Ballot but they chose to juice and they will now be lucky to even get in.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
bodiaz said:

They are ALL tainted. Defend them all you want, but in the court of public opinion, they are all failures.

That is a cop out for haters. Just like the people that say the Patriots are cheaters and should be stripped of rings because of spygate! SOUR GRAPES! They didn't win any game because of that. People will always hate on great players and teams, just the way it is. People hated Ruth at first because MLB changed the way the game was played to suit him. They hated Maris because he broke the beloved Ruth's mark. They tried to use an * because of the expanded schedule, again sour grapes. They hated Aaron when he broke it. He got death threats, and was treated poorly because of the color of his skin. They hate McGwire when he broke the Maris record and blame steriods, which has never been proven. And they already hated Bonds, now they have a reason to amplify their hate.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
bodiaz said:
sportscardtheory said:
bodiaz said:

That is a cop out for haters. Just like the people that say the Patriots are cheaters and should be stripped of rings because of spygate! SOUR GRAPES! They didn't win any game because of that. People will always hate on great players and teams, just the way it is. People hated Ruth at first because MLB changed the way the game was played to suit him. They hated Maris because he broke the beloved Ruth's mark. They tried to use an * because of the expanded schedule, again sour grapes. They hated Aaron when he broke it. He got death threats, and was treated poorly because of the color of his skin. They hate McGwire when he broke the Maris record and blame steriods, which has never been proven. And they already hated Bonds, now they have a reason to amplify their hate.

Disliking Bonds or Clemens for taking steroids is totaly different from what Aaron went through when he was coming up on the record. Not even close. What really pisses me off is not that they took the roids (because they where not forbidden by MLB) but they continue to lie about it. Giambi in my book is A+ because he manned up and admitted it.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
bodiaz said:
sportscardtheory said:
bodiaz said:

Luckily I don't even have to have to argue against this, because anyone with a sound mind can see it's all nonsense. Comparing cheaters with non-cheaters and non-cheating situations... bravo. lol

Edit - You are right, I DO hate players that cheat the game.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
You are entitled to your opinion. Baseball has been a GIANT unfair advantage throughout time! Was it fair that Honus Wagner had 500 foot fences to aim at, and had to hit dirty scuffed up spitballs while Babe Ruth gets a 300 foot launching pad built for him, and snow white nonscuffed baseballs? Is it fair that pitchers in the early days could use vaseline, cleats, and spit to help the movement of the ball? Is it fair that people get to play their entire career at Fenway or Coors field and inflate their numbers? Do you know how many Red Sox would not be in the Hall if it were not for Fenway?!?!? It's a LONG list! Why do you think Matt Holliday struggled this year? He went from Coors field to Oakland! Easy to predict the outcome. If you like fair, you shouldn't watch baseball!

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
bodiaz said:
You are entitled to your opinion. Baseball has been a GIANT unfair advantage throughout time! Was it fair that Honus Wagner had 500 foot fences to aim at, and had to hit dirty scuffed up spitballs while Babe Ruth gets a 300 foot launching pad built for him, and snow white nonscuffed baseballs? Is it fair that pitchers in the early days could use vaseline, cleats, and spit to help the movement of the ball? Is it fair that people get to play their entire career at Fenway or Coors field and inflate their numbers? Do you know how many Red Sox would not be in the Hall if it were not for Fenway?!?!? It's a LONG list! Why do you think Matt Holliday struggled this year? He went from Coors field to Oakland! Easy to predict the outcome. If you like fair, you shouldn't watch baseball!

So steroids are ok because of inflated numbers in Coors and Fenway? I've never heard that argument before.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
bodiaz said:

I don't respect or like players that knowingly cheat the game by secretly enhancing their bodies in illegal ways.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
blitzerlover said:
bodiaz said:

So steroids are ok because of inflated numbers in Coors and Fenway? I've never heard that argument before.

The point is people pick and choose what "unfair" things they like or dislike! Is it fair American league pitches have to face a DH and NL pitchers face a pitcher? My point is the game is not fair! Never has been! Steriods saved baseball period! The game was dying until McGwire and Sosa bailed it out! The only people hurt by steriods is the people using them. WHy should fans care what they do to themselves? It is a victimless crime. Noone thinks any less of Hank Aaron because he is no longer the King. 755 in his era is still remarkable no matter what anyone else does.

Members online