Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WILL PETE ROSE BE THE ONLY NEW HOF'R IN 2010 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
WITH THE COMMISH TALKING ABOUT LIFTING THE LIFE TIME BAN ON PETE ROSE..WILL HE BE ALLOWED TO GO TO THE HALL OF FAME RIGHT AWAY /...AND IF SO WILL HE BE THE ONLY ONE IN THE 2010 CLASS...I HAVE NOT REALLY CHECKED THE LIST FOR THIS YEAR COMING UP ...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
If reinstated, Rose would havethe chance to be voted in by the veterans comitee.

The ballot for the BBWAA contains several possible candidates who have been on
the ballot for some time now, including:

Andre Dawson 361 67.0
Bert Blyleven 338 62.7
Lee Smith 240 44.5
Jack Morris 237 44.0
Tim Raines 122 22.6
Mark McGwire 118 21.9
Alan Trammell 94 17.4
Dave Parker 81 15.0
Don Mattingly 64 11.9
Dale Murphy 62 11.5
Harold Baines 32 5.9

A_Pharis

I think the time has come for Dawson and Blyleven to make it in. I'd love to see Smith make it in (as a LA native), but I don't think it's in the cards this year. I doubt any of the others on that list make it (not soon, if ever).

This year's first time candidate list seems a little weak, and I may get reamed on that, but I feel like there won't be any 1st Ballot members this next year. I think McGriff has a shot within his first 3, though.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I really hope this year "The Hawk" and Blyleven get in. Dawson beats Rice in almost every category and he's still not in. I thought Blyleven was a first ballot HOFer, but now he's going on 13th.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
First things first, technically, Pete is past the 15 year ballot period, he cannot be voted in by the writers. The Veteran's Committee has to elect him now, and it sounds like there are still quite a few who would not support him...

Second, Blyleven and Dawson both need to get in.

Third, Roberto Alomar is a no-doubt first ballot HOFer. One of the greatest hitting AND fielding second baseman.

Lastly, people can give the "DH excuse" all they want, but Edgar Martinez is HOF worthy. Fact is this, the DH is part of the game, so to use that as an excuse AGAINST a player is a serious cop-out. Like it or not, it's here to stay, and no one defined the position like Edgar did.

A_Pharis

Sly said:
First things first, technically, Pete is past the 15 year ballot period, he cannot be voted in by the writers. The Veteran's Committee has to elect him now, and it sounds like there are still quite a few who would not support him...

Second, Blyleven and Dawson both need to get in.

Third, Roberto Alomar is a no-doubt first ballot HOFer. One of the greatest hitting AND fielding second baseman.

Lastly, people can give the "DH excuse" all they want, but Edgar Martinez is HOF worthy. Fact is this, the DH is part of the game, so to use that as an excuse AGAINST a player is a serious cop-out. Like it or not, it's here to stay, and no one defined the position like Edgar did.

Crap, I forgot about Edgar. Yea, I'd say he's a lock for pre-third ballot.

Frow

A_Pharis said:
prozac4312 said:
Won't Robbie Alomar be on the ballot in '10?

Yeah, and I was going to give him a possible "within 3" (as if what I said mattered), but I think he was considered a long shot multi-ballot by a few people. I think he's an excellent player, though.

A few people believe he is a long shot, but the vast majority agree he'll get voted in no problem.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Alomar was great but I really think the spitting incident wont help him here. I say 2nd or 3rd year he gets in.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
All In Cards said:
Alomar was great but I really think the spitting incident wont help him here. I say 2nd or 3rd year he gets in.
+1
But hey didn't pitchers that throw spit balls make it in. :D I liked Alomar until that incident. But you can't deny
what he did on the field, and ass monkey maybe, but was still fun to watch
He gets in on the second or third time not before.

As for Rose if they lift the band he will not get in on the first try either. I know some one the guys played with him
but still they don't want to field the questions if they vote for him, not now anyway.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
jjj7880 said:
Rose will get in 1st ballot

I'm not so sure of that...

I would put him in, but I would be willing to bet there are some crusty voters that would deny him simply for the publicity.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
It was rumored the ump used a derogatory slur to incite Alomar.

kentuckyderby said:
With the stories about Alomar and AIDS, in retrospect I wonder if the ump said something to him about that which in turn resulted in the spitting

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
So if Edgar Martinez makes it then Don Mattingly makes it.

Other than HRs, Edgar and Mattingly's stats were similar.

Oh, and Mattingly won an MVP and almost won a second one, plus he won a number of Gold Gloves while Martinez won zero.

No way Edgar Martinez makes it in.

Does Ellis Burks make it in?

Check the stats people. They don't lie.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Lee Smith should make it in. He was the all time saves leader. I'm not sure how that doesn't get you in when you were the best ever at what you were assigned to do.

I think the whole DH and RP bias is pretty dumb. They are positions on the team. There's no reason to penalize guys for playing them.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Crash Davis said:
So if Edgar Martinez makes it then Don Mattingly makes it.

Other than HRs, Edgar and Mattingly's stats were similar.

Oh, and Mattingly won an MVP and almost won a second one, plus he won a number of Gold Gloves while Martinez won zero.

No way Edgar Martinez makes it in.

Does Ellis Burks make it in?

Check the stats people. They don't lie.

It's not just about stats.. They were interviewing some writers on MLB network after the HoF ceremony and were discussing the upcoming ballot and who should make it next year.. They both said Edgar gets in because he truly defined the role of DH. The DH award is named the Edgar Martinez Award..

Latest posts