Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it just me? Lots of PWEs lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
I seem to be receiving an inordinate number of cards purchased through eBay in plain white envelopes (the dreaded PWE). The other day I received a nice die-cut insert /100 that I paid $3.00 S/H for, in a top-loader which was wrapped in a scrap of re-used bubble wrap and stuck in a PWE. The card arrived with the top edge sticking out of the top-loader and one corner was dinged. It's not a huge issue for me because I didn't pay a lot for the card and I'm more focused on completion than condition. However, the seller actually advertised the card as worthy of a BGS 9.5 and suggested it should immediately be sent for grading, it was that sweet. Now personally, I never believe such claims and I don't grade my cards anyway. But IMO it's pretty offensive to pimp a card that way, charge $3.00 S/H and then ship in a haphazardly wrapped top-loader and a PWE. I sent the seller a message lecturing them on the proper way to ship cards.

I grant you, I had been away from eBay for the better part of 18 months until fairly recently. But I never remember getting so many PWEs before. I've probably gotten four in the last two or three weeks. And all the sellers had very good feedback. I have been noting the PWE in my feedback comments (as well as giving them low DSRs) so I hope buyers read those.

Is it just me, or have others been seeing a lot of this lately?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I thought about posting this last week. I have gotten a higher number than normal as of late. Nothing has been damaged, yet. :?

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I received four packages today, and two were in PWE. Mst I have received lately were low end items with cheap or free shipping so I have no complaints

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
Huffamaniac said:
I received four packages today, and two were in PWE. Mst I have received lately were low end items with cheap or free shipping so I have no complaints

On a cheap item with very low or free shipping, I could get over the PWE. Although I still think the seller should disclose the packaging in the auction. But IMO a PWE is unacceptable with S/H charges of $2+.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
I am right there with you.....got charged 3 for shipping on a PC item, and was sent in a toploader taped inside the pwe...luckily card was not damaged.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
aprimo said:
But IMO a PWE is unacceptable with S/H charges of $2+.

IMO a PWE envelope is only acceptable if it's free shipping, and a low end card. Any card over like 8 bucks or any shipping charges whatsoever, should be in a bubble mailer.

$0.02

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
I dont mind pwe's at all, as long as the sender either tapes the loader or uses a team bag. I dont see what the big fuss is about with pwe's

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Sweetness said:
I dont mind pwe's at all, as long as the sender either tapes the loader or uses a team bag. I dont see what the big fuss is about with pwe's
Wait until you get a nice patch card that has creasing due to it being in a PWE.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Sweetness said:

I agree. As long as:

A. It's in a taped loader
B. I wasn't charged 3.00 in shipping

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
IndyMann said:
Sweetness said:
Wait until you get a nice patch card that has creasing due to it being in a PWE.

Sorry, I was unable to send your card(s) via PWE, instead bubble mailer Priority/DC :D

aprimo

Jan 23, 2009
IndyMann said:
Sweetness said:

This is what I'm saying. Not to mention how easily PWEs can just tear open. Plus getting screwed on the S/H fees hacks me off.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
I was thinking the same thing. I've never received a PWE until 2 weeks ago. Since then about half of my cards have come in them. I don't mind PWE for low evd cards and where I spend $1 on shipping. I get a little agitated when I spend $3 on shipping and get a PWE. I charge $3 for shipping and always send in a bubble envelope but I guess that's just me.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
For those that say toploader in a PWE is ok, I have to disagree. Any piece of mail that goes through the automatic sorter is subject to much more abuse than a bubble mailer that is 3/4 inch thick and doesn't go through the automatic sorter.

Alex

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'll say what I always do...its up to the seller to get me the item safely.Now if they want to gamble and take chances...that's fine by me.As long as I get my card I don't care if it comes with a stamp on the toploader.As long as it arrives in the stated condition.Now...if something does happen...I'll nail their butt on feedback very hard.So really its all up to them.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Bubble mailers are no help when the seller sends a card without a sleeve or toploader. That was my experience this past week. Granted the card was oversized, but still no excuse for not using additional protection for the card. Surprisingly only the corners had issues, I thought for sure it would have had a crease through the middle.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
wow i must be lucky. the closest thing to a pwe i have gotten when i paid 2+ for shipping was a poe(plain orange envlope). now the next card a buy will probobly be in a pwe

Members online