Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Holy grail cards from the overproduction era?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
In general, 1987-1992. Holy grail cards in this topic refer to very rare ones that genearlly go for over $100. No minor league cards, or graded cards please!!! You can also list holy grail sets if you wish.

Here's some that come to mind...

87 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds error
89 Topps Heads Up Ken Griffey Jr.
90 Topps Frank Thomas NNO variation
90 Upper Deck Mike Witt
92 Score Mantle/Yaz/Musial triple auto

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Frank NNOF. It's a RC of a future HOF'er and acheived it's value without being autographed or anything, it's just a card missing ink. That card was enormous and is still a big deal.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
May not be $100 or more, but the 1991 Donruss Elite Signature Series Ryne Sandberg comes to mind.

[ebay:3ns2ukp2]170364362046[/ebay:3ns2ukp2]

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
1989 Fleer Bill Ripken Whiteout
1989 Fleer Bill Ripken White Scribble (usually $80ish, lately more)
'other' rarer FF versions
I assume Aqueous Griffey would top $100. Clark did. Plus a few others from that set.
Numerous other Big name Test issues from that era.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
The Witt and Thomas were the first two that I thought of. That Witt black box is crazy at auction

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
The 2 below:

aqueousf.jpg
aqueousb.jpg

bwfront.jpg
bwback.jpg

Also the 1992 Donruss Elite Ripken Auto and the 1992 Donruss Super DK Ripken.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Nobody has mentioned that UD Mantle/Griffey auto card? It may not be in the right era as I don't know what year that came from.

Anthony

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
Allright, how many versions of 1990 donruss are there? I know of the baseball best, preview cards, all-stars, learning series, and even the aqueous cards. But I never seen or heard of that other Ripken card shown.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1990 DONRUSS BLUE/WHITE TEST
1990 also marked the year that Donruss began to experiment with new color variations and gloss coating (or aqueous) techniques on their line of baseball trading cards. The company printed many "Blue and White" test and "Aqueous Test" in limited quantities that were not meant to be available to the general public. Few of the cards have surfaced in the marketplace over the years, demanding very high premiums (when compared to the regular 1990 Donruss series).

The "Blue and White" test cards (like the Ozzie Smith card pictured below) are easy to spot, as they are almost an eyesore to examine. Unlike the "classic red" color of a regular 1990 Donruss card, these cards almost appear to be totally white in color.

[1]

The Aqueous Test cards appear exactly as the regular 1990 Donruss cards issued with (2) distinctions on the reverse of the card:

1) Horizontally (from upper-left to lower-right) "AQUEOUS TEST" is printed on the card in bold black ink. It can be noted that this phrase is seemingly printed in standard "MS MINCHO" font in various pixel size ranges (from 10px up to 20+px height).

2) In the upper right-hand corner of the card, there is no period after "INC" in the phrase, "1989 LEAF, INC"

Aqueous Test cards have yielded between 100x and 2000x their base Beckett Price Guide in terms of sales, making them the most sought after Donruss cards ever printed!
1989 Donruss Blue Chip Cards
]http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/wax-heaven/8ceecb4ead704ae68f1945fa31fcfe80

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
1991 UD Nolan Ryan Heroes Autograph

I lived in the small town of Sleepy Eye, MN growing up and we had a dime store and grocery store that could not keep these in stock. Everyone wanted to pull the Nolan. I remember someone finally did pull one and got their picture with the card on the front page of the newspaper. It was a big, big deal!!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
From personal experience both the 1992 MJB Holographics Bagwell auto and the Colla collection auto.I have not seen a Colla colelction auto surface and have never even talked to anyone who has seen one(maybe N1ASTROSFN has but I don't think so) but I would imagine its rare enough to be worth a fortune.

The Colla collection autos are supposed to be numbered to /200 but I am not sure if they divided it up per the number of cards in each set like they did with the MJB's or not.In the MJB set there are 4 cards in the set and the autos are supposed to be numbered to like /500 but the deal is they are actually numbered to /125 so each card has an auto'd version and they all have equal amounts.I have only seen a few before.N1ASTROSFN had the ones I have seen.He gave me one and another I purchased for around $130 if I remember correctly.In any case...they are hard to find.

Another one would be the 1992 Donruss super DK jumbos?I have never seen any but I think Bunchobull said there is supposedly a collector here in the Houston area(?) who has a set.In any case these things are so rare its almost like they don't even exist.Never seen one but I would imagine one would cost several hundred dollars if not way more.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
magicpapa said:
1990 DONRUSS BLUE/WHITE TEST
1990 also marked the year that Donruss began to experiment with new color variations and gloss coating (or aqueous) techniques on their line of baseball trading cards. The company printed many "Blue and White" test and "Aqueous Test" in limited quantities that were not meant to be available to the general public. Few of the cards have surfaced in the marketplace over the years, demanding very high premiums (when compared to the regular 1990 Donruss series).

The "Blue and White" test cards (like the Ozzie Smith card pictured below) are easy to spot, as they are almost an eyesore to examine. Unlike the "classic red" color of a regular 1990 Donruss card, these cards almost appear to be totally white in color.

[1]

The Aqueous Test cards appear exactly as the regular 1990 Donruss cards issued with (2) distinctions on the reverse of the card:

1) Horizontally (from upper-left to lower-right) "AQUEOUS TEST" is printed on the card in bold black ink. It can be noted that this phrase is seemingly printed in standard "MS MINCHO" font in various pixel size ranges (from 10px up to 20+px height).

2) In the upper right-hand corner of the card, there is no period after "INC" in the phrase, "1989 LEAF, INC"

Aqueous Test cards have yielded between 100x and 2000x their base Beckett Price Guide in terms of sales, making them the most sought after Donruss cards ever printed!
1989 Donruss Blue Chip Cards
]http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/wax-heaven/8ceecb4ead704ae68f1945fa31fcfe80

I wonder if the Aqueous test cards would fetch more than a 92 super dk jumbo?

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
1988 Upper Deck PROMO Dewayne Buice
1991 Score Mickey Mantle Auto
1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones
1991 Topps Tiffany Chipper Jones (perhaps a bit less than $100)
1992 Donruss Elite Auto Cal Ripken
1992 Score Mickey Mantle Auto
1992 Score Joe Dimaggio Auto

Members online

Latest posts