Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lee to Phils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
12:42pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi report that the sides have agreed to a deal that sends Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco to Philly for Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald and Lou Marson. The teams still have to examine medical records for the deal to go through.

DaKid13

Apr 7, 2009
all I can say is NOOOO!

Knapp is going to be a complete stud and I am terribly saddened if this is true. Going to every Lakewood game and having the pleasure to meet Jason and talk with him a LOT it is sad he is going to have to now leave home, being a Jersey kid.

This is heart breaking, I would rather have honestly traded Drabek and gotten Halladay.

Phish

May 19, 2009
I think we stole Lee. Donald and Carrasco I think will bust and we still have D'arnaud. Knapp will be good, but I could see him being injury prone in the future.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
DaKid13 said:
all I can say is NOOOO!

Knapp is going to be a complete stud and I am terribly saddened if this is true. Going to every Lakewood game and having the pleasure to meet Jason and talk with him a LOT it is sad he is going to have to now leave home, being a Jersey kid.

This is heart breaking, I would rather have honestly traded Drabek and gotten Halladay.

I like Knapp a lot, but he is a major risk. Most scouts see him as a bullpen arm as very few guys develop secondary pitches, which he hasn't.

DaKid13

Apr 7, 2009
I guess so but I guess it's the personal side and personal friendship I had started with Knapp. We hung out once or twice and went bowling myself and my girlfriend and him and his girlfriend. I immediately texted him and he said he hasn't heard anything yet today but did hear something yesterday.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This is a saddening trade for me to because I too thought Knapp was awesome. I talked to him after the games as well and he was a really nice dude. After his 2/3 IP 6 ER start on the road V. Lake County, he said "That start was a **** ball." :lol:

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Phish said:
I think we stole Lee. Donald and Carrasco I think will bust and we still have D'arnaud. Knapp will be good, but I could see him being injury prone in the future.

I'm of that persuasion. The Indians should have said no thanks based upon the fact that Donald has struggled all season. Both he and Marson have shown no power this year at all. Marson had better play fantastic defense and call a tremendous game behind the dish at the big-league level to even make his inclusion here significant. This deal really hinges on Knapp and Carrasco, and I am very uneasy about whether or not their future worth will make this deal worthwhile.

I can't believe the Indians gave up Lee for these four, let alone Francisco as well. They probably just gave him away to make room in left for Laporta, because he's almost certainly getting recalled after this.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
ryanhoward06 said:
DaKid13 said:
all I can say is NOOOO!

I like Knapp a lot, but he is a major risk. Most scouts see him as a bullpen arm as very few guys develop secondary pitches, which he hasn't.

Baseball America said:
When (scouting director) Marti Wolever and his staff drafted him, he was a big, strong, raw-boned kid whose velocity really stood out," Lamar said. "We thought he might be a future closer because he was so big and strong and had that great arm.

"But the minute he got to the (Rookie-level) Gulf Coast League and began working with (minor league pitching coordinator) Gorman Heimueller and his staff, he started showing a better feel for his curveball and changeup.

"He has improved so much with those pitches and made such strides with his pitch-ability that watching him now, there's no question we have a potential starter on our hands."[/url]

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I saw LaPorta play last night in Lehigh Valley and when he came back from stretching he told us that he had a meeting. This may have been the reason why.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Great deal. I love it. No clue why the Indians wanted Marson, but hopefully he has a chance to shine. Carrasco still has a ton of upside. Knapp's been called a "Halladay Clone". But I still love this deal. Love it, Love it, Love it. Way to go Ruben!

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
The only truly interesting prospect they got rid of was Knapp, so this is a definite win for the Phillies. If I was Cleavland I would have asked for either Drabek or Brown to be in the deal.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
soccerman034 said:
The only truly interesting prospect they got rid of was Knapp, so this is a definite win for the Phillies. If I was Cleavland I would have asked for either Drabek or Brown to be in the deal.

And it would have been shot down. The Phils clearly weren't dealing Drabek or Brown. The Indians got a nice foursome of decent prospects all with very very nice upside, but maybe less likely to reach their ceiling.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Question. What affect will this trade have on the 4 prospects' cards? Up or down?

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
BowmanChromeAddict said:
soccerman034 said:

And it would have been shot down. The Phils clearly weren't dealing Drabek or Brown. The Indians got a nice foursome of decent prospects all with very very nice upside, but maybe less likely to reach their ceiling.

Which is why the Indians should have shot the completed deal down. They needed pitchers who stood a very good chance of performing well at the major-league level in the not-so-distant future, and they got a lot of question marks.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Good trade for the Phils. They gave up Donald who is meh, Carrasco has been iffy, Marson who is decent, and Knapp who is unproven, but has shown some upside. I think the Phils got the better of this deal because they did not have to give up Brown, Drabek, or Taylor.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
BowmanChromeAddict said:
soccerman034 said:

If I am the Cleveland GM, I cannot move a reigning CY winner without getting a pitching prospect or hitting prospect that has a similar ceiling as the player being moved. Sure, Carrasco could make a nice 3rd or 4th starter. Donald could become a good role player, and Marson could become a serviceable albeit average catcher in the bigs. The only prospect dealt that has truly good upside is Knapp, who is far away and has injury concerns.

If there wasn't a better package out there, I keep Lee.

Members online