Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF- Yes/No Barry Larkin??

Barry Larkin- HOFer

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Always studying potential HOFers- this guys has a great case:

MVP 1995
12 time AS
1 World Series
3 Gold Gloves
2300+ hits
198 HR's
.295 Ave
1993-ML-Roberto Clemente Award
1994-ML-Lou Gehrig Memorial Award

For a shortstop......seems almost like a no-brainer?

Gotta be in, right?

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
I say no. He may have been a good SS but he was never an elite player in the National League.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I just picked up a Larkin auto because I believe he will be in the HOF one day...

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Yes, no doubt. He missed a lot of time but still has the numbers to get in. He also is underrated defensively because he played in the NL while Ozzie was also playing. Don't forget his 370+ SB with an 83% success rate.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
...shows I'm a little under the weather, forgot I have this card:

larkinwills.jpg

I think he'll garner some support his first year in 2010 as there is only one sure fire HOFer in this group:

2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Andy Ashby, Ellis Burks, Dave Burba, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Mark McLemore, Shane Reynolds, David Segui, Robin Ventura, Fernando Vina, Todd Zeile

....and he would have a good shot in 2011 (Bagwell ??, Palmeiro :lol: ) and 2012 (no one)

NerfXerks

Aug 7, 2008
Yes. Clearly. Larkin was an elite hitter and fielder, not the best at both, but way better at hitting than Ozzie and only a little worse at fielding. A very little bit worse than hitting than Jeter but WAY better at fielding.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I don't think so, and I like him as a player.

To me, he is in that tier of star players who aren't Hall of Famers...and there are a lot of players that fall into this category.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Larkin, although I can not comprehend how some can put him in the "no brainer" status, is as 'on the fence' as any player I have ever seen. Will he get in? I doubt it, and I certinly would not vote him in. But would I be supprised if he did get in? Not really... Can an argument be made as to how and why he 'should' be in the HOF? Ofcourse. But then again, if an argument need be made, should he really get in??

Just my unbiased 2...

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
From HOF web-site, is this statement considered by voters?- "Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."

It seems that Larkin was a "good guy" based on his Gehrig and Clemente awards. I have no idea about his integrity, sportsmanship or charatcer. It still seems to me that his numbers as a SS will merit election somewhere down the road.

Bill Bray Collector

Aug 7, 2008
MaineMule said:
From HOF web-site, is this statement considered by voters?- "Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."

It seems that Larkin was a "good guy" based on his Gehrig and Clemente awards. I have no idea about his integrity, sportsmanship or charatcer. It still seems to me that his numbers as a SS will merit election somewhere down the road.

Larkin definately had the integrity, sportmanship and character, which is why he wore the Captains C on his chest for so long in cincy

just more biased opinion...

Members online

Latest posts