Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are there no punishments for leaking sealed information?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Regardless if your a Red Sox, Yankees fan or a fan of any other team for that matter you have to agree the recent leaking of information is disgusting. I dont understand how its legal for the New York Times, or anyone else publishing information that is supposed to be private. Are there no laws against this? I am simply tired of hearing names, time passes, we get another name or 2 and guys are getting thrown under the bus after they took a test they were told was going to be confidential. Theres something going on here that is not right and again it has nothing to do with being a fan of a certain team. I didnt like hearing about Alex Rodriguez, I dont like hearing about Ramirez and now Ortiz. Why were there EVER any names connected with the samples if the only reason they tested was to see if more than 5% were posotive to institute a test for PED's? Why were those names, AT THE VERY LEAST, not destroyed?? Why are lawyers, who are supposedly allowed access to information that they are never to reveal or release, doing so at will and newspapers printing the information? I realize it makes great news, I'm sure they can make tons of money but are there not laws? I know that medical information is confidential enough that your own family members dont even have access to it. It's safe to say that the NY Times know whos leaking it correct? I hope the list either comes out now or the idiots exposing single names are brought down for it. Im all for the list to be out and be done with, not some idiots with agendas picking and choosing who they destroy while the guys doing it right are left with people questioning them.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm not very versed in law, but I agree. I don't think it's right that certain people with knowledge of the list continue to leak out a name or two at time, whenever they feel like it. So far, 6 people on that list were not kept anonymous like they were promised they would be. I figure sooner or later, someone will bring a suit against someone. It will be interesting to see how this continues to play out.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
If there's a leak in the plumbing and there's a puddle but it isn't leaking anymore when you look at it, you can't really plug the hole.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the list was not destroyed was because MLB was ordered not to by congress or something due to the congressional steroid hearings or something similar. I thought I heard that somewhere or something similar.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Names should have never even been connected to the tests. The samples should have just been labeled by numbers or something, with no one knowing whose number was whose.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
This is my recollection of the events. Please correct me if I'm off.

The MLBPA screwed up. The original intent was to destroy the samples after the testing. But, the MLBPA wanted to go digging for false positives so that the testing would show less than 5% positives and everything could be swept under the rug. Remember, the testing in 2003 was survey testing and if the results showed more than 5% positive, then MLB would impose testing and punishments, etc. MLBPA had incentives to get the rate of positives under 5%.

Shift to the BALCO case. The Feds went after the 2003 drug test results to help their case against BALCO and later Bonds. Because the samples had not been destroyed, the Feds were hoping to be able to use the samples and the results in their case. After this, I'm a little fuzzy as to the chain of events.

Alex

Phishmon23

Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA
certainly can't argue with Ozzie Guillen. Enough is enough. I honestly don't care that much anymore. Players in all generations of baseball cheated in some way shape or form and this was the way of cheating the last 15-20 years. Pitchers were cheating, hitters were cheating and we all know that. To continue to leak information that was supposed to be private is an embarrassment to the game of baseball.

I blame it all on BONDS :mrgreen:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I think it more embarrassing to the players who get caught not all of baseball. When one or two names are released, the entire focus is on those one or two names - just those one or two guys are punished. If the entire list were revealed all at once, then the game of baseball would be embarrassed and punished. Someone out there wants to punish players for their cheating and not all of baseball.

I like having the names leaked one or two at a time because the players knew better than to do what they were doing, the embarrassment they feel may be the only real "punishment" they get.

Phishmon23 said:
certainly can't argue with Ozzie Guillen. Enough is enough. I honestly don't care that much anymore. Players in all generations of baseball cheated in some way shape or form and this was the way of cheating the last 15-20 years. Pitchers were cheating, hitters were cheating and we all know that. To continue to leak information that was supposed to be private is an embarrassment to the game of baseball.

I blame it all on BONDS :mrgreen:

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Here's what you need to understand.

The NY Times did not "leak" the info. They obtained the info from someone inside that "leaked" it. NY Times just reported on what they were told.

Chances are, no one (other than the NY Times) knows who leaked the info. And what does the NY Times have to gain by ratting that person out? Absolutely nothing. In fact, they have so much more to gain by reporting on it.

That's unfortunately how leaking information works. It's generally by an unnamed/unidentified source, so there are no reprecutions for anyone who "leaks" info.

The whole situation is screwed up bad. Whether it was the MLB, MLBPA, Government, or whoever...it's screwed, and someone f'd up!

Members online

Latest posts