Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Late 30's stats CHECK THIS OUT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

39,40,41,42 you get my drift, old men do not maintain speed in their late 30's early 40's like he did. This is all im saying. He was a freak. Is there something behind the numbers?? Maybe. But his production at age 40-43 is crazy. I did not make this thread justifying my favorite players use, i simply was curious about his numbers. If you honestly say that is production at the end of his career did not get you curious well then don't pay attention to what we were all watching the last 15 years.

96' - Age 38
Games played - 148
Hits - 112 Runs 110 SB 37

97' Age 39
Games played - 120
Hits- 100 Runs 84 SB 45

98' Age 40
Games played - 152
Hits - 128 Runs 101 SB 66 - THIS IS JUST NUTS

99' Age 41
Games Played -121
Hits - 138 Runs 89 SB 37

00' Age 42
Games played - 123
Hits - 98 Runs 75 SB 36 - At 42 Yrs. Old 36 SB Is equivalent to about 50-60

01' Age 43
Games played - 123
Hits- 86 Runs 70 SB 25

02' Age 44
Games played - 72
Hits - 40 Runs 40 SB 8

03' Age 45 - Final Season
Games played - 30
Hits - 15 Runs 7 SB 3

The production from ages 38-43 is just unique. No one that has ever played besides Bonds was still that competitive through the end as far as the 2 aspects of his game. RUNNING is how he made his fame. His speed, which normally would have declined in his 30's, with the help of steroids would keep him playing.
He wanted the Runs Scored and 3,000 hits so he had cause to use. And if you look at the years of his production there was no testing. His last season was the first year they started testing. So for him to use to stick around is VERY VERY possible. Just Assuming. Thats all we can do is speculate. But looking at his stats, you start to think different. THat is because the era in which he played.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
OK. First I'll admit that Rickey has always been my favorite player and so my opinion is biased to say the least...

Steroids = Runs Scored?

NO

Steroids = Power

You say he was never a power hitter, but he is famous for being a power hitting lead-off man, one of a kind. He had 28 HRs twice in his career, which isn't too shabby for a guy who didn't use steroids to get his power. The first time he did this was in 1986 when he was a Yankee and Jose was a rookie with the A's. He later matched his career best in 1990 while being a teammate of Jose's, but only for a half season leading up to 1990.

I've got lots more numbers to throw out there, but I'm just too tired. You make it seem like 66 is a lot of stolen bases for a guy who stole more than twice that number in a single season when he was a kid. The key to Rickey's success in stealing bases was his leadoff and his head first slide... not steroids.

He was so awesome! During the induction ceremony they played a video that showed how intensly great Rickey was. First they showed a pitchout that didn't stop Rickey, and then they showed him actually get picked off at first but he was going the other way... and he made it safely to second.

I <3 Rickey

Frow

I just have to wonder what has to go through a person's mind that they feel the need to come up with some sort of nonsense, use said nonsense to thus research statistics, and then feel compelled to share thus nonsense.

Is there some sort of wheel of fortune wheel that people use but instead of money it has player's names that they use and whomever's name it lands on gets to be the lucky winner of message board libel.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is it a coincidence that the members who started the two Rickey/steroid threads are collectors of two of the biggest steroid users in baseball history?
A McGwire collector started this thread.
A Bonds collector started the other thread.
It's like they're trying to justify their favorite players' PED use because other stars might have used 'roids too.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't understand why everyone keeps confusing steroids as a "power" supplement. They're not. They're a regenerative supplement...which allows more effective time in the weightroom due to increased muscle fiber heal time. The regenerative effects also speed heal time for injuries, allow for use while injured, and many other benefits along those lines.

Obviously the long term effects of steroid use not monitored by a doctor catch up with people who don't know what they're doing...ie Manny taking female hormones to correct an imblance cause by years of steroid use.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I don't know why people keep attacking people that are speculating about Rickey. I've suspected him for a long time myself, just not publicly here because of the scrutiny. It's a message board, speculation is what we do.

Canseco mentioned someone....it's not like he's going to be able to keep his mouth shut so we'll know soon enough who he's talking about. Whoever he names will have their life probed and the truth will come out about whoever it is.....in the meantime is it not ok to speculate?

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
honestly I know ill be bashed for this but then you have to put Bonds in look what he did before HRs and after Hrs he was still a sure HOfer. Ifg your gonna look at rickeys numbers before and safter you have to do the same w/ Bonds. I too have said rickey was on steroids for a while i remeber looking at cards of his and he was jacked out of his mind and most importantly played w/ Big Mac and Mcgwire

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
colts1888 said:
honestly I know ill be bashed for this but then you have to put Bonds in look what he did before HRs and after Hrs he was still a sure HOfer. Ifg your gonna look at rickeys numbers before and safter you have to do the same w/ Bonds. I too have said rickey was on steroids for a while i remeber looking at cards of his and he was jacked out of his mind and most importantly played w/ Big Mac and Mcgwire

I think the only reason the numbers are coming up on Rickey is because Rickey on steroids is speculation, but Bonds on steroids was pretty much proven.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
colts1888 said:

This is an arguement you hear a lot..."he was a HOFer before steroids." While I do not disagree, this is speculative at best for mainly 2 reasons:

1. It isn't known when a player begins doping for the first time.
2. It isn't known what kind of longevity those known for doping would have had without the use of PEDs.

Why is this significant? Because in today's baseball, 10 years of dominant play doesn't mean Hallworthiness. No players in recent memory have had such dominant numbers that the first 10 years of their respective careers gave them an automatic pass into the Hall...especially 1st Ballot. Now, 10 years of dominance, followed by a bit of longevity to meet certain career milestones...that is almost always a surefire ticket to Cooperstown.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
RL24 said:
Steroids = Runs Scored?

NO

Steroids = Power

SOOOOOO wrong.

Steroids = increased lean muscle mass and definition, increased strength, vastly quicker muscle recovery rate.

Basically yes, everything a power hitter would want, but everything a base stealer would want as well.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
At 42 Yrs. Old 36 SB Is equivalent to about 50-60

:lol: Could you post the formula where you derived these numbers?

Personally, I would have thought, at 42 Yrs old, 36 SB's would equate to 174.3. But I think my calculation(s) may have included a skewed variable. I need to look at your formula to cross refrence mine to see where I went wrong.

:)

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Dan Patrick just interviewed Rickey this week and asked him why he stole 130 bases in a season, then stopped stealing so much and started hitting Home RUns. Rickey answered that his agent told him SBs do not make money, Home Runs do. He said he then did everything he could do to become a Home Run hitter. Guess he was telling the truth when he said EVERYTHING!

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
You could say the same thing about Ichiro. Ichiro could steal x amount of bases and get his 220 infield hits but he can smack a HR out when ever he wants. He cranks them out in BP. I think if someone said Ichiro ebnjough is enough hit HRS I think he could easily do it. Not saying this is or isnt the casde for rickey but there is a chance. I still belive that Henderson used them and I said him since Canseco and Big Mac were caught but Im just giving another side of na arguesment

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
RL24 said:
OK. First I'll admit that Rickey has always been my favorite player and so my opinion is biased to say the least...

Steroids = Runs Scored?

NO

Steroids = Power

You say he was never a power hitter, but he is famous for being a power hitting lead-off man, one of a kind. He had 28 HRs twice in his career, which isn't too shabby for a guy who didn't use steroids to get his power. The first time he did this was in 1986 when he was a Yankee and Jose was a rookie with the A's. He later matched his career best in 1990 while being a teammate of Jose's, but only for a half season leading up to 1990.

I've got lots more numbers to throw out there, but I'm just too tired. You make it seem like 66 is a lot of stolen bases for a guy who stole more than twice that number in a single season when he was a kid. The key to Rickey's success in stealing bases was his leadoff and his head first slide... not steroids.

He was so awesome! During the induction ceremony they played a video that showed how intensly great Rickey was. First they showed a pitchout that didn't stop Rickey, and then they showed him actually get picked off at first but he was going the other way... and he made it safely to second.

I <3 Rickey
steriods= morer games played and less fatigue and you get hurt less.

Austin said:
Is it a coincidence that the members who started the two Rickey/steroid threads are collectors of two of the biggest steroid users in baseball history?
A McGwire collector started this thread.
A Bonds collector started the other thread.
It's like they're trying to justify their favorite players' PED use because other stars might have used 'roids too.

These are the most rediculous reasons why i would ever create this thread.

You dont think stealing 66 Bases in your 40's in normal? We are all allowed to speculate. Thats why this thread was created.

matfanofold said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
At 42 Yrs. Old 36 SB Is equivalent to about 50-60

:lol: Could you post the formula where you derived these numbers?

Personally, I would have thought, at 42 Yrs old, 36 SB's would equate to 174.3. But I think my calculation(s) may have included a skewed variable. I need to look at your formula to cross refrence mine to see where I went wrong.

:)

stealing 36 SB's at age 42, can you honestly say that stat does not get you thinking?

Frow said:
I just have to wonder what has to go through a person's mind that they feel the need to come up with some sort of nonsense, use said nonsense to thus research statistics, and then feel compelled to share thus nonsense.

Is there some sort of wheel of fortune wheel that people use but instead of money it has player's names that they use and whomever's name it lands on gets to be the lucky winner of message board libel.

nonsense right.....stealing crazy amounts of bases in your 40's is nonsense. No it is crazy, because IT IS NOT NORMAL.
because of the steroid era we can speculate. The guy was all about him. He wanted 3k hits and he wanted Runs and SB's. The production he put up in his 40's is not normal. It does not happen. You do not keep speed like that in your 40's.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Rickey's career is over. He may or may not have used steroids. Now he's in the HOF and will not be taken out regardless of whether he used or not.

Simple fact is a lot of people used. All-stars, MVPs, utility guys, journey men, bench warmers. It's in the past now.

I personally loved watching Rickey play. He was exciting in so many ways. If he used it wouldn't surprise me, but it would not tarnish his career to me at all.

Members online

Latest posts