Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Well, Tampa Bay Came Up Empty.....Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The Rays were not suppose to win with this core of players. Success came two years two early for the Rays. Their target date was the 2010 season. Then you go to the World Series and then you start to fill seats. Now there is pressure to keep up with other teams while fans really are not showing up this year.

Plus, look at the one signing they did make this year: Pat Burrell which could be the 1st or 2nd worse free agent signing based on how Burrell or Milton finish this year.

They wouldn't be in this position for a catcher that can hit if they would have taken Matt Wieters over David Price.

Wes

OG
Administrator
19braves77 said:
The Rays were not suppose to win with this core of players. Success came two years two early for the Rays. Their target date was the 2010 season. Then you go to the World Series and then you start to fill seats. Now there is pressure to keep up with other teams while fans really are not showing up this year.

Plus, look at the one signing they did make this year: Pat Burrell which could be the 1st or 2nd worse free agent signing based on how Burrell or Milton finish this year.

They wouldn't be in this position for a catcher that can hit if they would have taken Matt Wieters over David Price.

They wouldn't have made it to the World Series without him, and I'm sure they would still take a World Series appearance and third place to this point in the season over not making it last year and having Wieters instead of Price this season.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
I know they don't have the money that other teams have, but there are guys out there that could help who don't have crippling contracts.
Their biggest error was signing Burrell over Abreu who got $5M/1 year. Hell, Adam Dunn wouldn't have been much more expensive than Burrell.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Price only pitched 2.1 innings before the World Series. That would be like me saying that the Braves only went to the World Series because Sid Bream slide correctly. The chances of a replacement player doing the same thing in both cases is extremely high.

Abreu wouldn't have got that deal if the Rays didn't sign Burrell. The Rays set the market price for Adam Dunn, Garrett Anderson, and Bobby Abreu. If they would have waited, they would have probably gotten away with a 1 year deal.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I also forgot the trade of Edwin Jackson for currently nothing helping the MLB counter part.

Then I will give credit when due: They made the right decision between N-Man and Hammel.

Wes

OG
Administrator
19braves77 said:
Price only pitched 2.1 innings before the World Series. That would be like me saying that the Braves only went to the World Series because Sid Bream slide correctly. The chances of a replacement player doing the same thing in both cases is extremely high.

Abreu wouldn't have got that deal if the Rays didn't sign Burrell. The Rays set the market price for Adam Dunn, Garrett Anderson, and Bobby Abreu. If they would have waited, they would have probably gotten away with a 1 year deal.

He was able to get a win and a save - maybe the most clutch save ever by a rookie. It was clear if you watched that series the rest of their bullpen would not have held the Sox down in those spots.

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
Don't count out us Rays this year. We may not have traded at the deadling but we do possibly have some of the most productive additions heading into the final two months. Davis will get the call in September. Akinori Iwamura should be back in September as well. He'll move in at 2B and Zobrist will go into RF. Iwamura is a nice pickup I would say. And supposivley Andy Sonnanstine is going to be called up soon who is pitching great in Durham with a 3-0 record and a 3.00 ERA. He's going to work out of the Bullpen when he gets recalled. Not a bad 3 additions over the next 2 months. And don't count them out of getting somebody decent through Waiver Trade Deadline

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Well, I won't count them out yet, but I am certainly not happy with Friedman right now. I thought the biggest hole was the rotation, and both Price(tonight) and Kazmir(Tuesday against NYY) looked great in their last starts. If just one of them gets going, thats just as good as a deadline trade. Burrell and Carlos both showed some power tonight, so we'll just have to see what happens. I've nowhere given up on them this season, I just don't know if this team is good enough to catch either Boston or New York.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Nothing to worry about, I trust the front office. They obviously didn't get any offers that they felt were good enough.

The only big error they've made in the last year is trading Edwin Jackson. I thought it was a horrible trade then and it's looking even worse now.

The only other error was was leaving Andy Sonnanstine and his BP fastballs in the rotation for as long as they did this season. If he makes it back to Tampa, hopefully it's in long relief/mopup. Wade Davis is ahead of him on the depth chart now.

Pat the Bat has been alot better lately. He was injured early in the year and that threw off his swing mechanics. He's turning it around.

Boston is going to win the division and it's going to be a tight race for the Wild Card between the Yankees and Rays. Good thing they play each other at the end of the year at the Trop.

Members online

Latest posts