Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

should a button, patch or jsy card be slabbed?

should a button, patch or jsy card be slabbed

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
I recently purchased a button card & obviously i dont want it damaged. I want to be able to display it. its temporarily in a one-touch, but it has room to slide around. I would like to have it slabbed, but then the button would be covered up. can companies even slab a card that thick?

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
bgs would be the way to go. get it slabed authentic. the button would be in plastic but it would be protecteed nicely. if you want to sell it get it graded with a minimum of a 9.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
i plan on keeping it in my PC for a long time, grading & resale is not really a factor

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
springfieldisotopes4 said:
i plan on keeping it in my PC for a long time, grading & resale is not really a factor
you could get it graded but you might get a low grade. i would get it slabed authentic by bgs for the protection but because it is pc you should do what you want to with it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
For me, part of the fun of a nice patch or button card is being able to touch the piece. I find all slabs ugly, so it would detract from display.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I completely agree on the authentic part, but how many potential buyers need a card #d so low graded?

jeff550 said:
bgs would be the way to go. get it slabed authentic. the button would be in plastic but it would be protecteed nicely. if you want to sell it get it graded with a minimum of a 9.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
I dont plan on getting it graded, although its very nice, one soft corner on the back of the card. as far as them authenticating it, doesnt the card authenticate itself with own COA?? how would they authenticate it further?? im just wanting it protected, if only they offered slabs with cut-outs over the button, patch or jsy piece :lol:

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
I've seen slabbed Ruth buttons, no don't slab it, they can get scratched up if not careful and yes you do want to touch the pieces from time to time, I do with my Hank Aaron button and jumbo Ruth jersey.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
coltsnsox07 said:
I've seen slabbed Ruth buttons, no don't slab it, they can get scratched up if not careful and yes you do want to touch the pieces from time to time, I do with my Hank Aaron button and jumbo Ruth jersey.

BGS uses a mylar bag inside the slab, so I wouldn't think that it would get scratched.
After I'd touched it a few times and appreciated it in the raw, and taken some some good scans, I would send it in min grade 9 or slab Authentic (personal preference where 9 > Authentic > 8.5 or lower). I can appreciate a card through a slab, and the protection would make me feel a little more at ease.

And coltsnox I would love to see your Aaron button.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Button cards will fit in the BGS thick holder with room to spare. If a bat barrel and Game Face card can go in than just about anything can go in:

Hunter2615.jpg

Griffey2614.jpg

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I do not think so. I recently bought a Beckett Logoman that was in an authentic slab and I cracked it. I enjoy uniformity in displaying my cards and the huge slab sticks out too much for me.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Personally I love being able to feel the jersey/patch/button and feel like I'm touching a piece of history, like, "I'm touching the same button player X had on the front of his jersey in 19xx"

JMO.

Latest posts