Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is Josh Gibson's TRUE rookie card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Re: What is Josh Gibson's true rookie card

I think this card is generally considered his "Rookie Card"

99281a_lg.jpg

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Jeff D said:
I think this card is generally considered his "Rookie Card"

99281a_lg.jpeg

But what is his first "true" rookie card. Like the card that falls under all the RC guidelines. His first packed out card, I guess?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

Josh Gibson died in 1947

1931 Harrison Studios Postcard is his RC

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009

Well I think the strict definition of " true rookie card" requires that it be released during his playing days (otherwise it's a tribute card), and having none of these, he has no "true" rc.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

As Josh was never a MLBer, technically he never had a rookie card per se. You should be able to find a checklist of his cards somewhere.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

The 1933 Goudey is considered Babe Ruth's "true" rookie card because it is his first regularly released card. So I am looking for Gibson's first ever packed-out card. I am having a very hard time.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I don't need his rookie year. I don't need his first ever card/postcard. I'm looking for his first pack released card. Thanks for the help though.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

sportscardtheory said:
I don't need his rookie year. I don't need his first ever card/postcard. I'm looking for his first pack released card. Thanks for the help though.

Well I would be on the look out for the card Jeff posted, beware of fakes on the card.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota

sportscardtheory said:

I don't know that he ever had a pack released card. His rc is 1931 harrison studios postcard. Cards for ***** leaguers generally eren't made as it wasn't MLB

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

If anyone is wondering what I mean, think of it like this. Ichiro Suzuki had many cards produced in Japan from 1993-2000. But his first MLB cards were produced in 2001, making them his "true" RCs. What is the equivalent for Josh Gibson? Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll had cards as far back as the '40s, but he wasn't on an NFL licensed card until 1989 Pro-Set, which is considered his only "true" RC. I'm looking for the Josh Gibson equivalent.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009

sportscardtheory said:
The 1933 Goudey is considered Babe Ruth's "true" rookie card because it is his first regularly released card. So I am looking for Gibson's first ever packed-out card. I am having a very hard time.

I think very few rookie card collectors consider Ruth's 1933 Goudey his rookie card.

Most collectors I know look to his 1914 Baltimore News as his rookie card of choice. But given that there are so few of them, and they go for $.5 Million, they may opt to go for the 1915 M101-5 Sporting News. Even the 1932 Caramel is dated before the Goudey (even though many feel it was actually released in 1933).

I know what definition of true rookie card you're going by, but I think it's unnaturally rigid, and you won't find such a card for Josh Gibson. If I told you 1981 Topps is his first pack issued card, would that be his "true rookie card?" There simply are no MLB licensed nationally distributed packed out cards of Josh Gibson during his playing days. So by that definition, he has NO true rc.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Everyone has to have a RC. Okay, so what is Josh Gibson's first ever pack released card in a MLB licensed set containing current (for it's time) players? It seems it is the 1993 Ted Williams set. That could very well be his only true RC.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

sportscardtheory said:
If anyone is wondering what I mean, think of it like this. Ichiro Suzuki had many cards produced in Japan from 1993-2000. But his first MLB cards were produced in 2001, making them his "true" RCs. What is the equivalent for Josh Gibson? Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll had cards as far back as the '40s, but he wasn't on an NFL licensed card until 1989 Pro-Set, which is considered his only "true" RC. I'm looking for the Josh Gibson equivalent.

No one considers that Noll's RC.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009

sportscardtheory said:
Everyone has to have a RC. Okay, so what is Josh Gibson's first ever pack released card in a MLB licensed set containing current (for it's time) players? It seems it is the 1993 Ted Williams set. That could very well be his only true RC.

Ok, well what about the 1983 Donruss HOF Heroes?

122131121_tp.jpg

That predates 1993. But is that an insert and not a base card?

All I'm saying is the definition of a "true" rc that you're using works much better for modern sets, and not for players from before the 1950's (and certainly not ***** League players).

If you go around telling people that Josh Gibson's rookie card is a 1993 Ted Williams, they're going to laugh at you...a lot.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Jeff D said:
sportscardtheory said:

Ok, well what about the 1983 Donruss HOF Heroes?

122131121_tp.jpg

That predates 1993. But is that an insert and not a base card?

All I'm saying is the definition of a "true" rc that you're using works much better for modern sets, and not for players from before the 1950's (and certainly not ***** League players).

If you go around telling people that Josh Gibson's rookie card is a 1993 Ted Williams, they're going to laugh at you...a lot.

That is not pack released and was not a current MLB player set. So it is funny that the 1933 Ruths, along with many others from that set, are bought/sold/traded as RCs? The Noll is a RC in Beckett, not saying they are always perfect, but they do follow the RC rules as much as possible. It may be funny to some, but it doesn't take away from the fact that many still call them RCs. No matter what some think, there are certainly guidelines for rookie cards, and the 1993 Josh Gibson Ted Williams certainly falls under those guidelines.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008

George_Calfas said:
sportscardtheory said:

No one considers that Noll's RC.

agree, and anyone who considers the 93 ted williams card of gibson his rc are crazy.

Triple Threads

Sep 15, 2008

this could help

check here for scan and info http://www.oldcardboard.com/eNews/2005/ ... tmRecently Unveiled Postcard is Josh Gibson's Earliest CardThe earliest (and the only known) individual player card from the playing days of ***** League Hall of Famer Joshua Gibson was recently unveiled by Robert Edward Auctions. The real photo postcard is slated for sale in the company's Spring 2005 auction. The card's historic significance is almost certain to make it not only the highest valued baseball postcard, but the highest valued postcard ever sold at public auction.Gibson's rare autograph on both the front and back of the card will also make it extremely attractive to autograph collectors as well. In addition to the authenticated autographs, a salutation found on the reverse is personalized to fellow ***** League catcher Joe Lewis.The postcard is all the more extraordinary in that it features Gibson as an eighteen-year-old in his first full season with the Homestead Grays ***** League team. Gibson joined the Grays in the middle of the 1930 season and he left to join the Pittsburg Crawfords early in 1932.Gibson was the star of the 1931 Grays, considered by most historians to be the best ***** baseball team of all time. Playing as an independent team in 1931, they are credited with a record of 163-23 against all levels of competition. In that season, Gibson logged a record 75 home runs.The "Joe Lewis" in the salutation is almost certainly Joseph Herman (Sleepy) Lewis, who was a star catcher in the ***** Leagues from 1919 to 1936 with many teams including the Baltimore Black Sox, Washington Potomacs and the Lincoln Giants.The Gibson card was for many years part of the collection of Louis Santop, another star of the ***** Leagues. Several examples from the Santop collection (including the Gibson card) were from an obscure set of real photo postcards produced by Harrison Studio of Hot Springs, Arkansas. All cards from the set include the postcard markings on the reverse along with an "AZO" stamp box.The Harrison Studio set includes cards of both indiv

Members online

Latest posts