Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BoSox fans: What 'Martinez' retired from Boston?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prozac4312

Aug 7, 2008
Akron, OH
So due to the recent trade of V-Mart to the Red Sox I'm looking at getting one of the customizable jerseys with his name/number (the away jerseys)...but the stipulations state that it can't have a name of someone that retired from that club. I'm sure with a couple minutes on Google I could figure it out but figured someone here might know right away.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
if you're getting one with his name and number that wouldn't be a customized jersey. Or am I reading your question wrong?

prozac4312

Aug 7, 2008
Akron, OH
zep33 said:
if you're getting one with his name and number that wouldn't be a customized jersey. Or am I reading your question wrong?

They don't have a V-Mart jersey for sale (yet?), actually they don't have a lot of players jerseys...so in the customizable section you can have an authentic jersey customized with a current player's name/number, or your own name/number...I'm planning to get a home jersey which doesn't pose an issue because it only has a number...but the away jerseys have the player's name on the back, and you can't customize a jersey with a guy's name that has retired from that team.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I think there's a rare situation here.

If someone is no longer in the league, then you cannot get their name on a jersey. Pedro Martinez, I think, still qualifies as "retired". Something about MLBPA licensing. You also cannot take current players and put them on different teams. And he hasn't signed an individual deal to count as a "throwback" yet, since he's still on his way back to playing.

I think it's the short window that no one has fixed the program to realize there is a current Martinez on the Red Sox, and once someone figures it out, you'll be OK.

I know it works like that in NHL and NBA. I've been trying to get a Celtics Reggie Lewis jersey, but they can't make one.

All in all, it's messed up. But you should be able to get one by the end of next week, because they'll make them for the Pro Shop. Try www.thesouvenirstore.com every couple of days; they'll probably have them first.

Members online