Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New ebay seller update on insurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
just looking through the new ebay stuff and thought this was interesting to say the least:

this is a direct cut/paste from some of the new ebay seller updates.

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.

Invest4thefuture

Aug 17, 2008
That's not the best idea... Insurance should definitely be an option, because if the item gets lost, both parties will get screwed now.

eBay is quickly plummeting... just waiting for another site to assume its role.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
The package making it to the buyer is 100% the sellers responsibility, so it is their responsibility to purchase insurance.

And if you don't believe me on this, go ask Paypal who will go against you EVERY TIME a package does not arrive. Insurance is there to protect the seller.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
mburgin said:
just looking through the new ebay stuff and thought this was interesting to say the least:

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.
So if I sell my card right now on the bay for 200. do I charge the buyer 200 for shipping in case it arrives damaged
then I can refund the money and be out nothing. With insurance I would most likely get my money back later. But under the new Ideals I get nothing. I can see shipping price getting way out of hand now. Way to go Flea bag you are pushing me to other sites.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Pine Tar said:
mburgin said:

So if I sell my card right now on the bay for 200. do I charge the buyer 200 for shipping in case it arrives damaged
then I can refund the money and be out nothing. With insurance I would most likely get my money back later. But under the new Ideals I get nothing. I can see shipping price getting way out of hand now. Way to go Flea bag you are pushing me to other sites.

See my post above. You as the seller are responsible for the card arriving in listed condition, therefore YOU as the seller are responsible for the insurance. It protects YOU, not the buyer.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Sly said:
Pine Tar said:
mburgin said:

See my post above. You as the seller are responsible for the card arriving in listed condition, therefore YOU as the seller are responsible for the insurance. It protects YOU, not the buyer.

But it's nice to make the buyer pick up the tab on it or at least give them the option.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Pine Tar said:
then I can refund the money and be out nothing. .

No, you charge $2.75 because that's what USPS charges for insurance...I don't get the problem.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Jeff D said:
[quote="Pine Tar":12r1yr2x]
then I can refund the money and be out nothing. .

No, you charge $2.75 because that's what USPS charges for insurance...I don't get the problem.[/quote:12r1yr2x]
I'm not saying I would I can just see people jacking up the already over price of shipping they charge.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Just another way for eBay to get some more fees.

Sellers will build the cost of insurance into their BINs, or accepted offers, and eBay gets to take a little more in fees. Since they didn't take fees from shipping costs, it's added revenue to them. Same mindset that went into giving higher priority listing space to sellers that offer Free Shipping, knowing a lot of those sellers put shipping costs in their price.

Oh well, so it goes.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
So now sellers are supposed to pay for shipping without raising thier cost to the buyer. This way the seller eats the cost of insurance but cant raise his shipping cost because he'll get lower DSR's saving Ebay a few bucks.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Sorry, but in the last year or so I've never purchased insurance because I'm protected in my purchase by Paypal. You as the seller, hold 100% responsibility to get me the item. Also, I laugh when i read sellers stating "I will not be held responsible for lost items without insurance."

When I sell or trade, its DC and Ins and i build my costs that way.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
mburgin said:
When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.

So, it appears to me that they expect to see higher shipping charges in some categories now. Sure, we as sellers will eat some of the cost. However, I think it's fairly common for sellers to charge more for shipping on cards that are $100+ anyway.

Make sure you include the verbiage regarding insurance being included. For cards of this level I sincerely doubt too many buyers are going to complain about $5 insured shipping as opposed to $3 non-insured.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
Sorry, but in the last year or so I've never purchased insurance because I'm protected in my purchase by Paypal. You as the seller, hold 100% responsibility to get me the item. Also, I laugh when i read sellers stating "I will not be held responsible for lost items without insurance."

I always get a chuckle when I read that in ebay descriptions as well. Sellers might as well say if you win you will acknowledge me as the King of England because they both carry the same weight.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
mburgin said:

what the hell. i never feel like i need to buy insurance.
well it sunds like you dont have to purchase insurance on your item.
i could be wrong because ebay has the most complicated way or writing rules. they are worse than the IRS

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
phillyfan0417 said:

Me too. I used to inform sellers. Of course, most always wanted to 'shoot the messenger'.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Bought an item last night. $100 + 3 shipping.

Today I get a total for $105.90 and on the receipt it says insurance is required. No where in the listing it mentions insurance. Is the seller forced to remove it for not disclosing?

Members online

Latest posts