Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gonna have to us UPS now that 6 of my local PO's closed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospectmaster

Just found out tonight 6 of my local post offices are shutting down tonight with the only two shutting down on my side of town and I am now forced to use UPS or FedEx. I have heard 600 are going to be shut down across the nation. If anyone deals with me on here please know if we make a trade I have no choice but to send UPS or Fed Ex due to local Post offices shutting down. I would have to drive about 25 miles into downtown to get to a post office.

Here is the article from my local newspaper.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/ ... 02/283806/

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Why cant you use paypal to print shipping labels, or even usps.com to print the label, then just drop them off at any mailbox you cross.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Prospectmaster said:
Just found out tonight 6 of my local post offices are shutting down tonight with the only two shutting down on my side of town and I am now forced to use UPS or FedEx. I have heard 600 are going to be shut down across the nation. If anyone deals with me on here please know if we make a trade I have no choice but to send UPS or Fed Ex due to local Post offices shutting down. I would have to drive about 25 miles into downtown to get to a post office.

sorry man.
i recall going to one in the city actually, and you know that UR has a post office inside the campus, right? no way did that close, might want to check it out...

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Prospectmaster said:

I would think FedEx/UPS would charge more. Maybe you can switch to using online postage, either through PayPal or eStamps? Or just stock up on regular stamps and invest in a scale. It would be a lot cheaper than gas nowadays.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Prospectmaster said:
I don't have a scale to use online shipping.

Scales are pretty cheap.

Also.... if 6 are closing... must mean that you have a ton in your city... or are they closing every Office in the city?

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
i just guess/low ball the weight using paypal and out of several hundred I have only had a couple returned as postage owed.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Prospectmaster said:
I don't have a scale to use online shipping.

As a general rule, 1-2 cards in toploaders shipped in a padded envelope weigh 1 ounce and change, so you should be good with using 2 ounces as the shipping weight with these types of items. When in doubt, add another ounce; it only costs an additional $0.18 or something nominal per ounce, and with the much cheaper delivery confirmation, you still end up saving. This is a blessing in disguise.

Prospectmaster

Yeah I guess I should invest on a postal scale. I never much about them so I guess I could try that out.

P_Manning- We have a ton of post offices in my metro area. The Richmond Metro area is close to 1.3 million people so there is starting to be more now. The most recent one was build in 2001 and serves southside. The main Post Office in Richmond City serves most of the state of VA since we are the Capitol City of Virginia. But its sad to see this many go down. There is one a ways out where I go to school but I will probably just do my stuff all online now.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Prospectmaster said:
Yeah I guess I should invest on a postal scale. I never much about them so I guess I could try that out.

P_Manning- We have a ton of post offices in my metro area. The Richmond Metro area is close to 1.3 million people so there is starting to be more now. The most recent one was build in 2001 and serves southside. The main Post Office in Richmond City serves most of the state of VA since we are the Capitol City of Virginia. But its sad to see this many go down. There is one a ways out where I go to school but I will probably just do my stuff all online now.

University of Richmond Post Office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
also with the scale get one of these......

!B(pRqDg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKi0EjlLmWv+IBKdbY94q2g~~_12.jpg

You can fund with PayPal and print all the stamps you need.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Prospectmaster said:

None are closing tonight. Can you read. USPS is just studying one's that may get closed down at end September.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Rather than a postal scale, consider a digital kitchen scale...they're more accurate in my opinion and useful for other things.

Edit...though for the price of the one above, I'd just go with the postal scale...that's a great deal.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I love the "Most Viewed Stories" headlines:

"Ukrop’s may be for sale, publication says"
"Report: Ukrop’s seeking potential buyers"
"Ukrop’s CEO dismisses reports that grocery chain is for sale"

Seems like they could've done a little research, and summed up those features into one page 6 article. :lol:

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff D said:

Seems like they could've done a little research, and summed up those features into one page 6 article. :lol:

Ukrops is huge in Richmond lol.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Wal-Mart sells digital postal scales for around $20. They may not be top-of-the-line, but they get the job done.

Edit: I should throw in, they are much smaller than the one on eBay that was linked. The ones from Wal-Mart are good for smaller to mid sized packages. If you will be shipping larger things, I'd opt for the larger scale on eBay.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:
Rather than a postal scale, consider a digital kitchen scale...they're more accurate in my opinion and useful for other things.

I too have a kitchen scale, best purchase I made for ebay purposes.
I remember the days of having to stand in line at the PO on my lunch hour 2-3x a week.
The $30 I invested into the scale has been returned 100 fold due to not having to waste time standing in line listening to the PO workers trying to upsale insurance, DC, signature confirm, etc, and then listening to customers ask tons of questions, what is insurance, how much is it, what is delivery confirmation, how do I look it up, blah blah blah.
God I dont miss those days at all!!!

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Jeff D said:

They could have but you know the media is all about the advertising $$$ so the more pages the better.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
Prospectmaster said:

Hope and Change!