Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for those who grade/re-submit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Here is the run-down, I purchased two Frank Thomas NNOF rookie cards, had them both raw-review graded/authenticated. One came back graded 8.0 (sold for $475), the other graded 8.5. I went ahead and had the 8.5 slabbed and threw it up on eBay with a very high BIN/OBO ($1,500) and I was just offered $750.

Although the offer is very tempting, I am not sure I want to sell it. I have heard of prospectors re-subbing cards for grade bumps and I am curious as to the process involved. What are the odds of a grade-bump? how much does it cost for this? If the centering grade gets bumped to a 9.0, will the overall grade remain 8.5, or will it bump to 9.0?

There are only 4 of these graded 9.0, 18 graded 8.5, with none grading 9.5 or 10.0. If it would bump up to a 9.0, I would imagine the price would go up considerably. I just don't know the likelihood of getting a grade bump, and/or if it is even worth it.

The sub-grades are:

Centering 8.0

Edges 9.0

Corners 8.5

Surface 9.0

Here is a scan:

Frank Thomas 1990 Topps NNOF BGS 8.5
FrankThomasNNOFBGS85.jpg

Any and all constructive comments welcome.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Usually BGS will only bump subgrades by 0.5 unless they are totally off, so I would say that the odds of bumping that to a 9 will be tough.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
Rob - take the $750 offer and don't look back... As stated above, it would be rare for them to bump a subgrade by more than .5 so you might be just wasting your time and dollars trying that.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Thanks for the input folks. I just didn't know if it had two sub's of 9.0 and two sub's of 8.5, if it would bump the overall grade to a 9.0, or remain 8.5. I literally have zero dollars in this card as the 8.0 I sold covered my initial investment, but if it could bump to a 9.0.............

:)

Thanks again!

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
I just sold the Thomas for $775.....

Not a bad flip considering I bought two of these for $450 combined. Had them both raw-reviewed at a Chicago show for $10 each. Sold the BGS raw-review 8.0 for $475. Paid another $27 for a ten-day slabbing of the 8.5.

I hear all too often how everyone (or almost everyone) here makes a mint on everything they buy and re-sell (or so it is claimed. :lol: ) It's not very often that the profit gods smile down on me.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
rob167 said:

Not a bad flip considering I bought two of these for $450 combined. Had them both raw-reviewed at a Chicago show for $10 each. Sold the BGS raw-review 8.0 for $475. Paid another $27 for a ten-day slabbing of the 8.5.

I hear all too often how everyone (or almost everyone) here makes a mint on everything they buy and re-sell (or so it is claimed. :lol: ) It's not very often that the profit gods smile down on me.
Very nice sell, I'll give my self one of these ::facepalm:: for not buying it when you offered it to me for what you had into it.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Nice flip buddy!!!!!

rob167 said:

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Mamunrud said:
Rob - take the $750 offer and don't look back... As stated above, it would be rare for them to bump a subgrade by more than .5 so you might be just wasting your time and dollars trying that.
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
:mrgreen:

Though I can tell you a story:

I had a 2007 blue refractor that was .5 from being gem mint 9.5. I tossed it in my last order and said for 10 bucks if I can get a 9.5 it would almost double the value. It came back as .5 away from being PRISTINE. :shock:

Can you say.....subjective? :lol:

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Congrats on your fliop.
I sent my cabrera, hoping for a sub-bump on either the corners or edges...one bump needed for a bgs 9.5...wish me luck! I will find out in 2 months...i just found out 45 day means 45 working days...

i see slight touches but worth the $10 effort!!
miggy.jpg

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
hofautos said:
Congrats on your fliop.
I sent my cabrera, hoping for a sub-bump on either the corners or edges...one bump needed for a bgs 9.5...wish me luck! I will find out in 2 months...i just found out 45 day means 45 working days...

i see slight touches but worth the $10 effort!!
miggy.jpg

Let's see the back also.

Members online