Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PTI talks baseball cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Cards are dead? Crap. welcome to RIPCardboard.Com

I hate when out of touch people try to comment on the card hobby/business. Do a little reasearch before you say something. Hell, just go to ebay and look quick. Cards are probably the best selling or highest grossing collectible category on there.

Stupid bald guys.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Card Magnet said:

I hate when out of touch people try to comment on the card hobby/business. Do a little reasearch before you say something. Hell, just go to ebay and look quick. Cards are probably the best selling or highest grossing collectible category on there.

Stupid bald guys.

I take it you were not around in the early 90's, late 80's then?

If you were, you would agree that card collecting is all but dead.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Card Magnet said:

Stupid bald guys.

How many people have attended the last few National Sports Card Conventions? Numbers have been in much decline even w/o the recession. Today's card marketplace hold higher dollar values, however the hobby as a whole is much weaker than 15-20 years ago.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
eh, not stupid, just a bit out of touch

this market hasn't been driven by kids in a long long time.

my recent facebook status update: Chris Gilmore As long as baseball is strong, the memorabilia will follow suit. Sorry Tony and Michael, I disagree with you here.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
It is only dead becuase those 2 make a boat load of money and the no longer buy cards.
Tools I know they did not do there research before the show.
Hey we need to send them Twitters or what ever media they are using these days.
And link this site to them and tell them that 1500 members here must be dead then
Oh yeah and other sites should did it as well.

Those 2 are way out of touch,
Anyone know how I can get a hold of those 2 dinosaurs, and I say everyone and anyone should e-mail them
and then tomorrow the will be talking about Freedomcardboard on national TV> :lol:

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Surprised that go attention today. Kinda cool to see, regardless of opinions.

Baby girl put it on me.... [/Wilbon/Ja Rule]

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
matfanofold said:
Card Magnet said:

Stupid bald guys.

Ahh yes, the 80s. A great 3 years of my life :lol: (Born in 87). There still seems to be enough interest out there that I wouldn't call it dead. Just imo.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Card Magnet said:
matfanofold said:
[quote="Card Magnet":20urj3ej]Cards are dead? Crap. welcome to RIPCardboard.Com

Stupid bald guys.

Ahh yes, the 80s. A great 3 years of my life :lol: (Born in 87). There still seems to be enough interest out there that I wouldn't call it dead. Just imo.[/quote:20urj3ej]

You are right, how interest does not equal the popularity of the 80s/mid 90s.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
To back up what a couple people said - They had the stat on PTI saying that the industry was down 80% 9 i belive that was the quote) from that 80's -90's surge....so you can't blame them for saying it's "dead".

If you didn't see it, they actually spoke fondly of their childhood collecting.....and were going off the stat i included and the assumption that kids now a days can care less and would rather have hi-tech toys.
I think their only partially right though, because i think most people don't realize all the autographs and game used stuff and all the cool innovations in the hobby since the 90's. I know that's the case with my friends or people i know look at me strange when i say i collect cards, but then i show them my collection and they think it's cool and wnat to know where i got the stuff.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
AKA Coastal said:
WaxHeaven said:
Here's a great article to show the guys at PTI weren't that off.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0801/p11s01-alsp.html

Card sales in 1991: 2.1 Billion
Card sales in 2005: 260 Million

You gotta bet it's much lower in 2008.

I can't figure out how 2.1 Billion was made in '91. There wasn't that much product out there.

Actually it was 1.2 Billion per the article.

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
Musial Collector said:
AKA Coastal":fwduqa5f][quote=WaxHeaven]Here's a great article to show the guys at PTI weren't that off. [url="http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0801/p11s01-alsp.html said:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0801/p11s01-alsp.html[/url]

Card sales in 1991: 2.1 Billion
Card sales in 2005: 260 Million

You gotta bet it's much lower in 2008.

I can't figure out how 2.1 Billion was made in '91. There wasn't that much product out there.

Actually it was 1.2 Billion per the article.[/quote:fwduqa5f]

Sorry about that. I was in a rush.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Card Magnet said:
matfanofold said:
[quote="Card Magnet":17xzhb0x]Cards are dead? Crap. welcome to RIPCardboard.Com

Stupid bald guys.

Ahh yes, the 80s. A great 3 years of my life :lol: (Born in 87). [/quote:17xzhb0x]

Dohhh.... so was my oldest son! Damn I'm old :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts