Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Maybe It's time to stop dealing in baseball cards.... for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Anyways me and Zach (Nikobaseball) made a deal 2 weeks ago... I would send $200.00 and he would send me some nice items, well he got the MO and then sent mine.... well everything went smooth until I recieved a slip in the mail saying to pick my items up at the nearest Canada Post outlet.

I was like "Alright cool! The cards are in." Well then I read the back and it says amount due $33.19.... I was very surprised by this, actually I was shocked. I went to speak with a PO Rep and she informed me they wanted me to pay "Duty" on these items.... I have never paid duty on a trade ever in my life! What if this was a grandmother sending some cards to her grandson on his birthday? Nice gift... Here Johnny you want your present? Well we need you or Grandma to pay us $33 bucks lol.

Anyways this is by no means Zach's fault as he had to put $200.00 to cover himself for insurance reasons.

Well I am seriously thinking of getting out of trading if they start doing this to me.... I make higher end deals about 10-20 times each year and never happend once.

Imput is appreciated.

EDIT- I live in Canada

Shep :ugeek:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I just sent something to someone there and I put 1.00 as the value.
I have never put the full amount on the package ever. But then again, i have never
made a trade that high before.
Sorry to here that man good luck on this one.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Pine Tar said:
I just sent something to someone there and I put 1.00 as the value.
I have never put the full amount on the package ever. But then again, i have never
made a trade that high before.
Sorry to here that man good luck on this one.

Thanks, Yeah I have always lied and pu 10-20 bucks.... then again I did not have it insured either.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
You sent him $200 and he sent you cards? And you call it a "trade"? That sounds like a purchase and duties should apply accordingly. At least that is my understanding. To get around this he could have listed the contents as "birthday gift" or something to that affect. Again.... that is my understanding. I don't ship that many cards international.

Tom

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Tom Oates said:
You sent him $200 and he sent you cards? And you call it a "trade"? That sounds like a purchase and duties should apply accordingly. At least that is my understanding. To get around this he could have listed the contents as "birthday gift" or something to that affect. Again.... that is my understanding. I don't ship that many cards international.

Tom

Ahhh another thing I forgot to say.... Zach put "Gift" in description box.

Sorry ;).

Shep

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Found this with a google search.....Zach should have put dollar value at like $10 or something instead of $200.....but then that kills him for insurance purposes...

Gifts sent to individuals in Canada are exempt from duties and taxes if:

* the item is worth less than $60 CAN (see Bank of Canada exchange rates)

* the item includes a card or notice indicating that it is a gift.

If the gift is worth more than $60 CAN, the recipient will have to pay applicable duties and sales taxes on the value of the gift over $60 CAN.

The $60 gift exemption does not apply to

* tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advertising material

* items sent by a business, company, or association

The $60 gift exemption can not be combined with the regular $20 mail exemption available for all items.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Also, shep, I found an eBay article about shipping to Canada and a Canadian buyer was getting charged almost 50% duties/taxes on some of the items he had purchased and when he complained he was finding that it is ultimately up the post master in that particular office as to what duties and taxes are to be assessed................so basically, bend over!!!!!

TK

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Oh well, lesson learned. I sent him some $$, it's a pain, but in the end its just $$ and not worth arguing over.

thanks for the heads up though guys

zach

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Nikobaseball said:
Oh well, lesson learned. I sent him some $$, it's a pain, but in the end its just $$ and not worth arguing over.

zach

Zach was a true class act! Thanks alot for resolving this with me.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Nikobaseball said:

zach

Honorable gesture that I'm sure Shep would agree wasn't necessary.

Nevertheless, back to the question at hand. Maybe on high end deals, you need to ask the seller if he can ship 3-4 separate envelopes within a few weeks time to get around the duty. In other words, exploit the bogus rule with a technicality. Even if it costs you an extra $8-$10 in s/h charges, it's better than getting reamed by the seemingly arbitrary duty.

dooly

Feb 9, 2009
duties and shipping costs hurt when buying cards from the usa... for higher end cards i usually ask the sender to just mark it as $50 or less ... but i have never dealt with insurance before...if you trust each other and dont mind taking the risk (if lost, split it 50/50?) then just ask to have it sent without insurance...i've had many cards sent to me from the usa and i've never had a lost card before

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
JEA2880 said:
Nikobaseball said:

zach

Honorable gesture that I'm sure Shep would agree wasn't necessary.

Nevertheless, back to the question at hand. Maybe on high end deals, you need to ask the seller if he can ship 3-4 separate envelopes within a few weeks time to get around the duty. In other words, exploit the bogus rule with a technicality. Even if it costs you an extra $8-$10 in s/h charges, it's better than getting reamed by the seemingly arbitrary duty.

That's surely an idea I would have to look into... Just kinda surprised us both as it has never happend to either of us.

We agreed to split but Zach being the nice guy he is ofcourse sent whatever he had.

Thanks.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Nikobaseball said:

zach
Zach that was a noble thing for you to do. I for one would like give you this.

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

v
vv

vvv
v
v
v
v
v
v
vv
v
565.gif

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
If you purchase from the US to Canada you'd have to declare less than $25 to eliminate the fee. It is tough for insurance purposes. Thankfully he sent to you with USPS. If he sent with UPS, you may have been looking at a $100 bill. They charge an extra $40 brokerage fee I think along with the declared value.

Members online

Latest posts