Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pretty good idea on checklist/print run Sterling WBC Patch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twcbjr

Aug 8, 2008
I understand that Topps already has the money for these so they are probably viewed as more a nuisance than a debt. As summer is winding down (when I was told we would have info on this set) and it has been 7 months since I started redeeming these, I took it upon myself to try and figure out what I may be getting.

Based on released and upcoming product checklists and a print run of 2,000, I am expecting a 50 card set serial numbered to 40 with the following players:

Japan:
Shinnosuke Abe
Norichika Aoki
Yu Darvish
Koske Fukudome
Ichiro Suzuki
Seiichi Uchikawa

Venezuela:
Miguel Cabrera
Felix Hernandez
Magglio Ordonez

Canada:
Phillippe Aumont
Russell Martin

Mexico:
Jorge Cantu
Edgar Gonzalez
Joakim Soria

Puerto Rico:
Carlos Beltran
Felipe Lopez
Ivan Rodriguez
Geovanny Soto
Javier Vasquez
Bernie Williams

Cuba:
Frederich Cepeda
Yoennis Cespedes
Aeoldis Chapman
Yulieski Gourriel
Norge Vera

Panama:
Angel Chavez
Luis Durango
Carlios Ruiz
Concepcion Rodriguez

China:
Fei Feng

Dominican Republic:
Pedro Martinez
Hanley Ramirez
Jose Reyes
Miguel Tejada

Korea:
Shin-Soo Choo
Keun-Woo Jeong
Hyun-Soo Kim
Young-Min Ko
Bum Ho Lee
Dae Ho Lee
Jin Young Lee

Netherlands:
Greg Halman

Chinese Taipei:
Fu-Te Ni

South Africa:
Dylan Lindsay

United States:
Adam Dunn
David Wright
Jimmy Rollins
Roy Oswalt
Evan Longoria
Derek Jeter

The print run could change if Topps decides to do some auto'd versions or, something I would like to see, some dual jumbos. Although I am not a fan of the fold out cards, if these are in the style of Triple Threads, how about a Ichiro/Aoki, or a Darvish/Keun-Woo Jeong?

With 7 Topps products out, 4 more scheduled, and slots for Bowman sterling, Topps Sterling and Draft taken, there are still 4 more products that could throw a wrench in this. Still, when I looked at the checklists and saw an even 50 while knowing the 2,000 print run, I figured this was going to be pretty close. Now Topps, let's see these cards (and the eTopps WBC cards would be nice to have, too).

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Nice, the one I redeemed will probably be Adam Dunn or worse Joakim Soria. That's definitely my luck. Hopefully it will have a lot of colors but I'm not holding my breath, I'll probably get a solid one color!

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
aaron41984 said:
Nice, the one I redeemed will probably be Adam Dunn or worse Joakim Soria. That's definitely my luck. Hopefully it will have a lot of colors but I'm not holding my breath, I'll probably get a solid one color!

I just hope they're like the last ones...

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
Thanked for posting this!

As a Seattle fan, I'd rather see:

Italy:
Alex Liddi

than
Netherlands:
Greg Halman

With 7 coming, and looking at this list I'll be disappointed if I don't get at least 2-3 nice ones.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Interesting.....

Just curious. What makes you think they will be numbered to 40? Seems like an oddball number based off general serial numbering.

I was hoping for a Granderson in the set. But I don't think it's likely for the same reasons you posted. :(

twcbjr

Aug 8, 2008
I figure the print run like this:

'08 Sterling Dual Autos 1 per 4 box case - WBC patch 1 per 4 box case

Base dual #/325 + Refractor /99 + Gold /50 + Black/25 + Red 1/1 = 500 per
4 different duals - 4 x 500 = 2000

WBC jersey cards already released in Series 2 plus the checklist for jersey cards in Ticket to Stardom and Triple Threads contain 50 different players (have to have the jerseys to have the patch) so, 2000/50 = 40

There could be a switch in the checklists, but I'm pretty sure Topps had the jerseys purchased before releasing the info, so I'd put money on at least 92% of my list being included (pm if interested in betting, we can go from 92% to 100%). Of the upcoming releases from Topps, the aforementioned two are the only ones with WBC memorabilia cards. If this is like 2006 in which UD had the WBC rights, the WBC cards can only be in this year's products. A variable is that there are still 7 more releases to get Topps to their 18 for this year (although, hopefully, these cards will be redeemed before Christmas!!!!!!). Of those 7 not yet announced, it's probable that there will be:

Bowman Sterling (doubtful to contain WBC memorabilia)
Topps Sterling (can't see WBC player boxes being made)
Bowman Draft (WBC jerseys?? Surely not patches)

Still, four more products - maybe Heritage Update, Updates & Highlights, Co-Signers??? - don't see much WBC stuff coming, therefore, I am confident in my assumption that the 50 player's jerseys is what Topps will be using.

As for Rudzud asking what they will look like, my theory is they will indeed be jumbo patches. My thinking is this:

Probably the only product to use WBC patches will be Triple Threads (Ticket to Stardom is slated for jersey/ticket cards). Most of those patches are the +/- nickel sized variety. The only jumbos checklisted are the Full WBC Logo patches (yet, only 25 players from the list - the other 25 in Sterling?????). That leaves a lot of patch material left that has to be used by the end of the year. Another assumption of mine is that these cards will be/were built at the same time as Triple Threads - WBC images pulled up at the same time, material to construct used at the same time (trim the jumbos for Sterling, use the "scraps" for the Threads cards), similar card layout used at the press, etc. This is where I thought of the idea there may be some duals as the fold-out cards will be cut for the Threads product, tweak them slightly for Sterling. But this is all speculative crap - as is the checklist and the print run. I am confident enough, however, to put varying degrees of wagers on the different aspects!!!

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
twcbjr said:
I figure the print run like this:

'08 Sterling Dual Autos 1 per 4 box case - WBC patch 1 per 4 box case

Base dual #/325 + Refractor /99 + Gold /50 + Black/25 + Red 1/1 = 500 per
4 different duals - 4 x 500 = 2000

WBC jersey cards already released in Series 2 plus the checklist for jersey cards in Ticket to Stardom and Triple Threads contain 50 different players (have to have the jerseys to have the patch) so, 2000/50 = 40

There could be a switch in the checklists, but I'm pretty sure Topps had the jerseys purchased before releasing the info, so I'd put money on at least 92% of my list being included (pm if interested in betting, we can go from 92% to 100%). Of the upcoming releases from Topps, the aforementioned two are the only ones with WBC memorabilia cards. If this is like 2006 in which UD had the WBC rights, the WBC cards can only be in this year's products. A variable is that there are still 7 more releases to get Topps to their 18 for this year (although, hopefully, these cards will be redeemed before Christmas!!!!!!). Of those 7 not yet announced, it's probable that there will be:

Bowman Sterling (doubtful to contain WBC memorabilia)
Topps Sterling (can't see WBC player boxes being made)
Bowman Draft (WBC jerseys?? Surely not patches)

Still, four more products - maybe Heritage Update, Updates & Highlights, Co-Signers??? - don't see much WBC stuff coming, therefore, I am confident in my assumption that the 50 player's jerseys is what Topps will be using.

As for Rudzud asking what they will look like, my theory is they will indeed be jumbo patches. My thinking is this:

Probably the only product to use WBC patches will be Triple Threads (Ticket to Stardom is slated for jersey/ticket cards). Most of those patches are the +/- nickel sized variety. The only jumbos checklisted are the Full WBC Logo patches (yet, only 25 players from the list - the other 25 in Sterling?????). That leaves a lot of patch material left that has to be used by the end of the year. Another assumption of mine is that these cards will be/were built at the same time as Triple Threads - WBC images pulled up at the same time, material to construct used at the same time (trim the jumbos for Sterling, use the "scraps" for the Threads cards), similar card layout used at the press, etc. This is where I thought of the idea there may be some duals as the fold-out cards will be cut for the Threads product, tweak them slightly for Sterling. But this is all speculative crap - as is the checklist and the print run. I am confident enough, however, to put varying degrees of wagers on the different aspects!!!

Ah.....that's probably very good reasoning.

Latest posts