Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UD PR's response to current licencing news.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This is THE Official response sent from upper deck to its PR distribution list a few minutes ago.

Upper Deck Sets the Record Straight on the Future of the Baseball Card Market

Carlsbad, CA (August 7, 2009) – On July 2, 2009, The Upper Deck Company and the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) announced their renewed partnership to produce baseball trading cards for the upcoming 2010 season, building on the successes of recent years in rebuilding the trading card category through strengthened distribution, consumer-friendly pricing, dynamic products and interactive promotions designed to attract kids to the excitement of baseball cards. This license provides Upper Deck with the rights to feature current Major League Baseball Players on their trading cards, including the game’s most collectible and sought-after superstars.

“Looking ahead to 2010, we are 100% committed to building the highest quality and most innovative baseball cards in the industry,” said Upper Deck CEO Richard McWilliam. “We look forward to announcing more details on our product portfolio in the coming weeks.”

Since its inception in 1989, Upper Deck has been the market leader for both its ability to create top-quality super premium products and to develop innovative programs that promote baseball cards to kids. In the past four years alone, Upper Deck has committed more than $21 million dollars to increase kids’ interest in baseball cards. Through annual television advertising campaigns, numerous retail promotions and online initiatives such as Upper Deck’s Kids Rewards and the current UpperDeckU.com virtual world, Upper Deck has led the way in dramatically increasing household penetration of kids collecting sports cards from 8% in 2005 to a reported 44% in 2008.

The MLBPA license agreement provides access to more than 1,200 current Major League Baseball players, including all of its stars. Fans can look forward to finding cards featuring autographs and pieces of game-used equipment from the biggest names in baseball including Derek Jeter, Albert Pujols, Ken Griffey Jr., and hundreds more. "Great cards of great players will continue to be the cornerstone of all Upper Deck products,” added McWilliam.

The license agreement between Upper Deck and the MLBPA ensures the company's continued commitment to its existing consumer base, while at the same time building on its extensive investments to stimulate even greater interest among new users and kids.

“We’re looking forward to continuing the partnership with Upper Deck, a licensee that is clearly focused on the long-term growth of the trading card category," said Judy Heeter, MLBPA Director of Business Affairs & Licensing. "We believe strong competition is generally good for consumers, and expect that our ongoing relationships with both Topps and Upper Deck will ensure consumer choices that lead to category growth."

About Upper Deck

Upper Deck is the leading sports and entertainment trading card and collectibles company. For more information on Upper Deck and its products please visit www.upperdeck.com.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Is that considered to be an actual response, or a mission statement?

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
jerrymaguiremoney.jpeg

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Crash Davis said:
Basically UD is confirming what we already know, though they are very sneaky about it.

I don't think there's much sneaky about it. They would not benefit with a "screw you, we're making cards anyway" response. They just made it as bland as possible. I don't remember a DLP statement in 2005, but I'd imagine it looks similar.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
bungle77 said:
Crash Davis said:
Basically UD is confirming what we already know, though they are very sneaky about it.

I don't think there's much sneaky about it. They would not benefit with a "screw you, we're making cards anyway" response. They just made it as bland as possible. I don't remember a DLP statement in 2005, but I'd imagine it looks similar.

Its what large corporations do, no need to burn bridges because you never know what will happen.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
“We’re looking forward to continuing the partnership with Upper Deck, a licensee that is clearly focused on the long-term growth of the trading card category," said Judy Heeter, MLBPA Director of Business Affairs & Licensing. "We believe strong competition is generally good for consumers, and expect that our ongoing relationships with both Topps and Upper Deck will ensure consumer choices that lead to category growth."

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this last bit. I realize the MLBP and MLBPA are 2 completely seperate
entities, but shouldn't they have the same goals in mind? I could be waayy off base here, but it just seems
odd to me that MLBPA would release a completely contrarion statement to what MLBP released yesterday.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this last bit. I realize the MLBP and MLBPA are 2 completely seperate
entities, but shouldn't they have the same goals in mind? I could be waayy off base here, but it just seems
odd to me that MLBPA would release a completely contrarion statement to what MLBP released yesterday.

The players association is in it for the players while MLB is only worried about themselves. These are two seperate entities with different agendas...

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
chashawk said:

Isn't this always the issue? :lol:

I don't think I've seen MLB and MLBPA agree on anything (steroids, salaries, etc.).

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
cgilmo said:
i dont think its sneaky at all

they are simply stating what they do have vs what they don't have

It's marketing 101

It is sneaky.

Tell the whole truth.

Say your license with MLBPA was not renewed.

It's like saying that your only a little pregnant.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Crash Davis said:
cgilmo said:

It's marketing 101

It is sneaky.

Tell the whole truth.

Sorry, large companies dont work this way. they concentrate on the positives.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
A_Pharis said:
[quote="Crash Davis":9jnxath9]
cgilmo said:

It's marketing 101

It is sneaky.

Tell the whole truth.

MLB license. They retained the MLBPA.[/quote:9jnxath9]
And it seems to me that they have been prepping for exactly this situation to occur.

It kind of got lost in the other thread, but UD knows that they are vastly superior when it comes
to high-end products. They have an entire group of customers that ONLY buys high-end UD products.
After reading this statement, I think 2010 is going to be a very interesting year, and I think we are going
to see some incredible high-end/retired player products from UD.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
A_Pharis said:
[quote="Crash Davis":3j0tn4wc]
cgilmo said:

It's marketing 101

It is sneaky.

Tell the whole truth.

MLB license. They retained the MLBPA.[/quote:3j0tn4wc]

Right, sorry. Long day.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Did both Upper Deck and Topps have to pay for MLB licensing before this new deal? If so, now UD saves money by not paying the MLB and can either become more profitable by doing the same things, use the savings to add value to the products, or a little of both.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts