Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you prefer your rookie cards graded or not?

DO YOU WANT ROOKIES GRADED?

• I only want RAW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BGS 9 or better ONLY - will pay market if i need it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Just curious, which category everyone falls in?
For cards 1990 to present

EDIT TO ADD, ONLY TALKING ABOUT ROOKIE CARDS, not GU, inserts, or anything but rookies.
I just realized something...
many people that said they wouldnt pay for graded don't collect rookies.

If you dont collect rookies, please select last option.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
Re: GRADED OR NOT?? NAME YOUR POISON

i dont really care if it is graded or not. i might sub some cards i buy raw and some i wont sub. just depends on how i like the card

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

sportscardtheory said:
Where is the "both" option? I buy/sell/trade anything and everything.
talking about preference for pc

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR

When I collected Conor Jackson, I would buy either graded or raw. If it was BGS 9.5/PSA 10, I would keep it slabbed and buy a raw version later. But if it was lower than the grades previously stated, I would crack it out of the slab if it were cheaper to buy it that way.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

hofautos said:
sportscardtheory said:

I will often buy nice copies of 8s, 8.5s, and 9s and remove them from the slab for my collection. For cards after 1990, the graded cards that are NOT gems almost always sell for less than raw cards. And since some PSA 8s look better than some PSA 10s, I have no problem putting them in my collection.

I would rather have a 50/50 centered PSA 8 than a 60/40 centered PSA 10.

David

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

leatherman said:
hofautos said:
sportscardtheory said:

I will often buy nice copies of 8s, 8.5s, and 9s and remove them from the slab for my collection. For cards after 1990, the graded cards that are NOT gems almost always sell for less than raw cards. And since some PSA 8s look better than some PSA 10s, I have no problem putting them in my collection.

I would rather have a 50/50 centered PSA 8 than a 60/40 centered PSA 10.

David

I buy a lot of bgs 9's and they rarely sell for less than raw...i only buy superstars though, so dont know about the others...
check completed for upton, longoria, cabrera, mauer, etc...i dont think you will find any raws that sell for more than 9s

current sampling
cabrera 9=393 raw=300
upton blue 9=250 raw=170

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008

I am probably in the minority but for newer cards I prefer raw. I just don't like to hassle with grading and what someone else thinks about it. For older cards though I prefer low graded cards (PSA 3 or 4) just because I want to know it is authentic and cheap.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
I am probably in the minority but for newer cards I prefer raw. I just don't like to hassle with grading and what someone else thinks about it. For older cards though I prefer low graded cards (PSA 3 or 4) just because I want to know it is authentic and cheap.

you are not in a minority...it seems most whom have responded so far all prefer raw...
it looks like I am in the minority...i prefer everything graded mint or better.

although on ebay the graded cards seem to always get more bids...so it looks like so far, fcbs is in a minority when it comes to collectors in general.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

hofautos said:
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:

you are not in a minority...it seems most whom have responded so far all prefer raw...
it looks like I am in the minority...i prefer everything graded mint or better.

although on ebay the graded cards seem to always get more bids...so it looks like so far, fcbs is in a minority when it comes to collectors in general.
Not enough prospect collectors have responded yet :lol:

I voted raw, because it does not make sense to grade the cards I collect.
Slab for protection, maybe. Grade, no.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

I try to get my stuff *authenticated* if possible first, second preference raw, then third preference graded. If I get the latter two then I will try to submit to get authenticated.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY

I choose the option you didn't list.

Prefer graded 9 or better, but will settle for raw if no graded are available. Will also pay premium for whatever I need that I don't have in PC, regardless of slab or raw.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

hofautos said:
I buy a lot of bgs 9's and they rarely sell for less than raw...i only buy superstars though, so dont know about the others...
check completed for upton, longoria, cabrera, mauer, etc...i dont think you will find any raws that sell for more than 9s

current sampling
cabrera 9=393 raw=300
upton blue 9=250 raw=170

Justin Upton 2006 Sterling Auto PSA 9 for $31.01

Justin Upton 2006 Sterling Auto raw for $36

BGS 9s typically sell for more than PSA 9s. Still, I am happy with most well centered 8s and 8.5s. Hell, my two favorite George Brett RCs are a PSA 7 and a BVG 6 (O-Pee-Chee, which is in my sig).

d

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

NECpilgrims8 said:

Prefer graded 9 or better, but will settle for raw if no graded are available. Will also pay premium for whatever I need that I don't have in PC, regardless of slab or raw.

That is EXACTLY the way I am...that option was "dont want raw in collection, will pay premium for bgs 9 or better".
I have never stated it before, but usually when I see your opinions, I am spot on with you.

I will edit to make that option more clear.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY

hofautos said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

That is EXACTLY the way I am...that option was dont want raw in collection, will pay premium for bgs 9 or better.
I have never stated it before, but usually when I see your opinions, I am spot on with you.

For my PC, I left having to grade them myself most of the time. Only collecting rare 90's inserts of Manny and Biggio makes it hard to find any graded copies, regardless of the set. So, I tend to buy what I need, at whatever premium I need, and then grading later. I usually send to BGS only with MG 9 on the sub.

I have had some really good luck with grading the Burbank singles I bought.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

hofautos said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

That is EXACTLY the way I am...that option was "dont want raw in collection, will pay premium for bgs 9 or better".

Also to add, I will USUALLY pay healthy amount for 9.5 over 9 also, but not "crazy" higher.
Like I am willing to pay $350 for a 9.5 when a 9 is $250, but I won't pay $600 for 9.5 when 9 is $250.

Of course there are exceptions to that too. I did pay $1000 for a 1989 Bowman TIffany PSA 10 Griffey when you can get 9s for $100. But not willing to do that for current players that still can crash and burn.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

So far 13 votes only want raw where 6 are willing to pay at least some premium for graded 9+

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

I just realized something...
many people that said they wouldnt pay for graded don't collect rookies.

If you dont collect rookies, please select last option.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Wow, that's cool, when i added the option "I DONT COLLECT ROOKIES" the poll reset the count to zero.
I didnt know that...glad it did though, so please vote again if you collect rookies.

Latest posts