Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Well, Rays Fans, We Have Our Catcher of the Future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":1yzjfrre]Quality move, he's an upgrade offensively and defensively.

Absolutely. Who needs V-Mart?

What does V-Mart have to do with this move being good? They wanted V-Mart, they couldn't get him for whatever reasons.[/quote:1yzjfrre]

I'm curious as to just how aggressively they pursued him, but I'm sure I know already.

And then there's last year, when they passed on Posey.....

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Honestly, What is wrong with this move JP?

Sure, he is on the last leg of his career, but he is a veteran catcher still hitting at a decent clip. It's not like he will catch every game, but it give the rays some backup and breathing time for Navarro.

Heck, it might even kick Navarro into gear a little!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
Honestly, What is wrong with this move JP?

Sure, he is on the last leg of his career, but he is a veteran catcher still hitting at a decent clip. It's not like he will catch every game, but it give the rays some backup and breathing time for Navarro.

Heck, it might even kick Navarro into gear a little!

If he performs, I'll be happy to eat my words. But it seems as though they always take the low road.....

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":lv6ph7zc]Quality move, he's an upgrade offensively and defensively.

What does V-Mart have to do with this move being good? They wanted V-Mart, they couldn't get him for whatever reasons.

I'm curious as to just how aggressively they pursued him, but I'm sure I know already.

And then there's last year, when they passed on Posey.....[/quote:lv6ph7zc]

I believe they pursued him quite aggressively. They're limited by their budget though, so they would have had to move salary to afford him. Plus, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have been the catcher of the future either, seeing as he's a free agent after next season. So they would have had to move a player, probably Kazmir, for a low price and given up prospects for a season+ of Victor.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":euasxlgh]
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":euasxlgh]Quality move, he's an upgrade offensively and defensively.

What does V-Mart have to do with this move being good? They wanted V-Mart, they couldn't get him for whatever reasons.

And then there's last year, when they passed on Posey.....[/quote:euasxlgh]

I believe they pursued him quite aggressively. They're limited by their budget though, so they would have had to move salary to afford him. Plus, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have been the catcher of the future either, seeing as he's a free agent after next season. So they would have had to move a player, probably Kazmir, for a low price and given up prospects for a season+ of Victor.[/quote:euasxlgh]

If they can get more than a full season out of Zaun, I will stand and applaud.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":9l3xzoa3]
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":9l3xzoa3]Quality move, he's an upgrade offensively and defensively.

I believe they pursued him quite aggressively. They're limited by their budget though, so they would have had to move salary to afford him. Plus, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have been the catcher of the future either, seeing as he's a free agent after next season. So they would have had to move a player, probably Kazmir, for a low price and given up prospects for a season+ of Victor.[/quote:9l3xzoa3]

If they can get more than a full season out of Zaun, I will stand and applaud.[/quote:9l3xzoa3]

Ok? This isn't a move for the longterm, this is to improve a weakness to hopefully give them a better chance this year and maybe next.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2b0x99lr]
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2b0x99lr]
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2b0x99lr]Quality move, he's an upgrade offensively and defensively.

I believe they pursued him quite aggressively. They're limited by their budget though, so they would have had to move salary to afford him. Plus, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have been the catcher of the future either, seeing as he's a free agent after next season. So they would have had to move a player, probably Kazmir, for a low price and given up prospects for a season+ of Victor.[/quote:2b0x99lr]

If they can get more than a full season out of Zaun, I will stand and applaud.[/quote:2b0x99lr]

Ok? This isn't a move for the longterm, this is to improve a weakness to hopefully give them a better chance this year and maybe next.[/quote:2b0x99lr]

I'll be more optimistic if this works. But it always baffles me whenever I see them pass on what I consider to be better options available. Not to mention when they passed on drafting catchers such as Stassi...

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2vbnzxqx]
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2vbnzxqx]
Jaypers said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2vbnzxqx]Quality move, he's an upgrade offensively and defensively.

I believe they pursued him quite aggressively. They're limited by their budget though, so they would have had to move salary to afford him. Plus, there's a very good chance he wouldn't have been the catcher of the future either, seeing as he's a free agent after next season. So they would have had to move a player, probably Kazmir, for a low price and given up prospects for a season+ of Victor.

If they can get more than a full season out of Zaun, I will stand and applaud.[/quote:2vbnzxqx]

Ok? This isn't a move for the longterm, this is to improve a weakness to hopefully give them a better chance this year and maybe next.[/quote:2vbnzxqx]

I'll be more optimistic if this works. But it always baffles me whenever I see them pass on what I consider to be better options available. Not to mention when they passed on drafting catchers such as Stassi...[/quote:2vbnzxqx]

I wanted them to draft Stassi as well, but they did draft the guy who most seemed to have rated #1 at the position, but who fell because of an arm injury.

yakacack

Apr 13, 2009
Tampa, FL
There's been a lot of investigative work done down here recently about the supposed limits of their payroll and essentially what has come from the numbers crunching is that this team HAS the money to go out and get these players if they really wanted but are choosing to use the company line for some reason, who knows if its related to the push back they are getting on the stadium stuff.

Theyve increased prices by a minimum of $1 per ticket, are seeing approximately 3200 more fans in the seats per game right now, with that number most likely to increase as the bandwagon grows towards the end of the year. They took back parking revenues last season and the rules there are still the same this year, 4 or more in a car is free, everyone else is $15 per car. More extra revenue the team had when the fans werent there and they were crying poor. The possibility is there of another playoff series which in and of itself wouldve most likely offset the cost of adding a V-Mart or Lee or whomever.

They arent as limited as theyd have everyone believe, so here's to hoping that maybe all of this money being saved is towards keeping the current team intact as it isnt going anywhere else at this point.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
yakacack said:
There's been a lot of investigative work done down here recently about the supposed limits of their payroll and essentially what has come from the numbers crunching is that this team HAS the money to go out and get these players if they really wanted but are choosing to use the company line for some reason, who knows if its related to the push back they are getting on the stadium stuff.

Theyve increased prices by a minimum of $1 per ticket, are seeing approximately 3200 more fans in the seats per game right now, with that number most likely to increase as the bandwagon grows towards the end of the year. They took back parking revenues last season and the rules there are still the same this year, 4 or more in a car is free, everyone else is $15 per car. More extra revenue the team had when the fans werent there and they were crying poor. The possibility is there of another playoff series which in and of itself wouldve most likely offset the cost of adding a V-Mart or Lee or whomever.

They arent as limited as theyd have everyone believe, so here's to hoping that maybe all of this money being saved is towards keeping the current team intact as it isnt going anywhere else at this point.

I knew it. ::facepalm::

Members online