Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

John Smoltz DFA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I would really like my Tigers to sign Smoltz. Bring him home and close the 22 year loop from the '87 trade for Doyle Alexander. I'd like to think his veteran presence in the Tigers pen would be beneficial.

Alex

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
why dont they just shift him to the bullpen

+1

He went the first 3 innings yesterday fine...he needs to be bullpen or closer at this stage i think..and i am sure he can succeed in that role...but his SP role I think is done.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
DaleMurphyCollector said:
Maming Frank Wren look smarter every day.

+1

However, I was one of the bitter fans rooting for him to fall on his face in Boston (mostly because I hate the sawx), but I truly felt bad for ever rooting against him after seeing him post game last night. Was really sad to see.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
hofautos said:
P_Manning 18 said:

+1

He went the first 3 innings yesterday fine...he needs to be bullpen or closer at this stage i think..and i am sure he can succeed in that role...but his SP role I think is done.

I think it was that fact that he had only 2 swing and misses of his pitches yesterday. Kind of a sad thing to see happen to a great player and a great guy.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Nooooooooooooooo!

This is devastating news to all teams that were scheduled to face Smoltz during the rest of the season.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The silver lining of this story -- Junichi Tazawa has been called up to Boston.

Looking forward to this.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
hofautos said:
P_Manning 18 said:

+1

He can't get loose often enough (or fast enough) to be a reliever. There was talk a while ago about that, but I guess warming him up takes longer than your average reliever would, and he couldn't pitch any more often than every third game, so there wasn't much bullpen value for him.
I will choose to forget about this year, and think back to his illustrious Braves career. I think it's for the best.

bmoore997

Mar 9, 2009
vwnut13 said:
Nooooooooooooooo!

This is devastating news to all teams that were scheduled to face Smoltz during the rest of the season.

He was almost as bad as Chien-Ming ****. Almost.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Why couldn`t Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine all three signed one day contracts with Atlanta and all retired AT THE SAME TIME together!? That way all three could have entered Cooperstown in the same class. That would have been very special to see. Instead we have got to see three dudes all hang on too long and struggle. Sad. For me anyway.

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Sam Banks said:
Why couldn`t Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine all three signed one day contracts with Atlanta and all retired AT THE SAME TIME together!? That way all three could have entered Cooperstown in the same class. That would have been very special to see. Instead we have got to see three dudes all hang on too long and struggle. Sad. For me anyway.

Maddux & Glavine didn't really struggle in their (what looks to be final year). Glavine got hurt and went down for the season. Before that, he was 13-8, with a 4ish ERA and over 200 innings. Maddux had a losing record, but also had a 4ish ERA and pitched close to 200 innings. Not the standard years from either when compared to their glory years, but hardly struggling. In fact, they were still better than 70% of the guys slinging the ball.

yakacack

Apr 13, 2009
Tampa, FL
thefasterblade said:
boxbreaker44 said:
jeez red sox are on a DFA frenzy.

Denker,Velasquez,Traber and now Smoltz

Just stop it.

Look in the mirror, repeat your own words...are you always as nasty as you have been in recent threads (and I just hadnt noticed) or is this something new youre trying out?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Good.

Tazawa pitching in the pen or starting?

Is Bowden going to be called up to start anytime soon????

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
John Smoltz just showed how much he sucks now. Maybe he'll get better, but I doubt it. He's old, he's past his prime. Boo hoo Red Sox, that's what you get for signing him in the first place.

Anthony

Members online