Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Topps exclusivity for MLB cards good for card collecting?

Is Topps exclusivity for MLB cards good for card collecting?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I know there is a giant thread on the first page about this, but I was really hoping to get an idea for the general consensus regarding the Topps exclusivity for next year.

Feel free to explain your reasoning if you want, but I just wanted to get some numbers.

Will Topps being the only producer of MLB licensed cards be good or bad for the card collecting industry and collectors as a whole? Let's also say for the sake of argument, that bringing back millions of kids to card collecting is generally considered "good" for card collecting and the current collecting community. Also feel free to answer "good" if you think UD being unrestricted with licensing will create some great sets and continued innovation.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
"Good" is a relative term, good for 99% of the (potential) collecting public does not necessarily translate into what's good for 'elite' collectors here.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
"Good" is a relative term, good for 99% of the (potential) collecting public does not necessarily translate into what's good for 'elite' collectors here.

I understand this (which is in part why I put the part about bringing back kids as being "good").

Really I'm just looking for a general feeling. If you think that the "bad" of eliminating certain sets and competition in the market far outweighs the "good" of bringing back kids, feel free to answer that way.

And if you think the damage to elite collectors on this board is worse than anything good that could come from Topps exclusivity, then please answer "bad."

Like I said, just looking for a big picture, general idea.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Personally I dont mind it since I dont like/buy Upper deck products (or atleast have not since 2005 Origins and Heroes tins).

But for the hobby as a whole I think it is a bad thing.. Competition is a good thing and there is no competition if there is only one company out there.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I can see a lot of good. Sure, it's not ideal for the other companies but I do think that for the most part it will be business as usual.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
As long as they can make more products it will be fine..
It was ok to have 1 product 25+ years ago, because there was no internet..
If ther was the internet, everyone would be selling the same product, making it worthless to most everyone except for the ball players family & friends

The only way to get more kids involved with baseball cards is to take away their xbox's wii's playstations & TV's and hope they play sports outside... Thats how I got involved in baseball cards back in 1977.
And money isnt a factor with kids because their parents buy them and the kids didnt stop buying pokemon when the packs were $10 a pack and certain cards up to $100 ea..

Paul

Members online