Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Derek Holland throws CG Shutout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Underrated but not the most, he's got 4 above-average pitches with 2 being plus.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Well then somebody else name a pitcher who you can get a raw xfractor auto FY of for less than $20 delivered who can put up an outing in the MLB like the one that Holland just threw.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
blazers091 said:
andyduke86 said:
+1

I do think Derek is vastly underrated based on his first few starts, but not sure if he is the most underrated pitching prospect in the MLB today. Derek could very well turn out to be one of the top young pitchers in the MLB next season, but he needs to limit the damage when he doesn't have his "A" game. That'll be the big thing with Derek, at least in my opinion.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
aw00d05 said:
Underrated but not the most, he's got 4 above-average pitches with 2 being plus.

that is news to just about anyone who has scouted him. Maybe today he had 2 good pitches but his fastball is his only true plus pitch right now, but it's a good one for sure.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Vagrant said:
Well then somebody else name a pitcher who you can get a raw xfractor auto FY of for less than $20 delivered who can put up an outing in the MLB like the one that Holland just threw.
One game means nothing. Bud Smith once threw a no hitter.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
If his manager had enough sense to take him out of the ballgame at the right time he would have had a 8 IP 1 H 0 BB 10K performance in addition to this one in his last three starts. This isn't just a one game judgment.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
andyduke86 said:
aw00d05 said:

that is news to just about anyone who has scouted him. Maybe today he had 2 good pitches but his fastball is his only true plus pitch right now, but it's a good one for sure.
His curve has come a long way, he didn't even start throwing it in games until mid June, his slider is definately above-average to me. His change was considered his 2nd best pitch to BA, and his fastball is obviously plus. Right now his fastball may be his only plus pitch, but all 3 of his off speed pitches have the makings of being above-average and I think his slider is there.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Well if you want to get technical about it, he's thrown 91 innings for Texas this year so he's not even a prospect anymore.

Baseball America had him as their #31 prospect preseason so I wouldn't really call them underrating him by any stretch of the imagination. He was equally high or higher on just about every other top prospect list from reputable publications. It's tough for any lefty who throws into the high 90s to ever be underrated.

And awood, you are right, he certailny has 3 plus pitch potential but I think it's a bit premature to say he has them there now, especially based on one start when he's been awfully inconsistent for most of the year.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
andyduke86 said:
Well if you want to get technical about it, he's thrown 91 innings for Texas this year so he's not even a prospect anymore.

Baseball America had him as their #31 prospect preseason so I wouldn't really call them underrating him by any stretch of the imagination. He was equally high or higher on just about every other top prospect list from reputable publications. It's tough for any lefty who throws into the high 90s to ever be underrated.

And awood, you are right, he certailny has 3 plus pitch potential but I think it's a bit premature to say he has them there now, especially based on one start when he's been awfully inconsistent for most of the year.
His biggest knock is his consistancy and pitching when he doesn't have his best stuff and still surviving. I think the OP was talking about card prices not BA, BA has him ranked high but his cards are still fairly cheap for his talent level.

southeastjerome

Aug 8, 2008
Big Holland fan and he is going to be a stud ace pitcher for a long time. However you were right about 1 thing the most under rated pitcher took the hill today and didn't disappoint but his name aint Derek ;)

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
THREADKILLER-crohrer said:
Brett Anderson > Derek Holland
I would agree with that and I'm a Rangers fan, Anderson is younger, has a better #2 pitch, better command and is less sporatic, as for the future not so sure.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Anderson has been one of the best pitchers in baseball over the last month or two. He's gotten into better shape and as a result his fastball has gotten better and his slider has become a legit out pitch with some serious tilt.

Members online