Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AL MVP??

2009 AL MVP is...

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
We all know who the NL MVP is, but who should take it in the AL. Please provide who you voted for and why.

Players who just missed the poll: Aaron Hill and Kendry Morales

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
If it were to be Michael Young which I doubt it will be. I would be one very happy and a lot wealthier man!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's a strange year.

I have to admit that I did not think of Crawford as an MVP candidate before seeing his name on the list, but if he could win the AS MVP for a defensive play, maybe people have stopped looking at the traditional markers for awards.

The Twins have both Morneau and Mauer. Mauer is heating up again and Morneau is having a solid year, but I don't see Morneau getting a second MVP, and Mauer would have to keep it up IMO to get it, and the Twins would have to get relevant quickly.

Teixeira and Damon in NY are similar in my mind that neither has really put up numbers that separate them from the pack, and the fact they are on the same team (in a loaded line-up) which hurts.

Young's numbers are not quite as good as some of the other players, though really solid, and Texas is a surprise in the WC race.

Cabrera has been great, but after the big start has kind of cruised along fairly quietly.

Longoria's numbers are not quite up there with Teixeira, Cabrera, Morneau or Mauer and IMO Abreu should not even be in the discussion.

There isn't even a pitcher who stands out (in my mind) as deserving of an MVP nod.

Right now, it's too close to judge for me.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I voted for Kendry Morales. With the injuries to Hunter, and Vlad, plus the time in which Rivera was out of the line-up and Kendrick was in the minors, Morales put together some huge numbers.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
5 of the last 6 Yankees who have led the league in Home Runs, while playing on a first or second place team, have finished quite well in the MVP voting:

2007: Yankees finished in 2nd place, Arod leads league with 54 HRs = MVP
2005: 1st place, Arod leads league with 48 HRs = MVP
1980: 1st place, Reggie co-leads league with 41 HRS = 2nd in MVP (to Brett's .390 season)
1961: 1st place, Roger Maris leads league with 61 HRs = MVP
1960: 1st place, Mickey Mantle leads league with 40 HRs = 2nd in MVP (to Maris)

In 1976, Graig Nettles led the league with 32 HRs (the lowest total by a league leader since 1946) and finished 16th in MVP voting after batting .254. Those Yankees finished in 1st place.

With Tex leading the AL in HRs and the Yankees in first, this could mean an MVP trophy in his future.

David

Members online